Respected Contributor

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer, and should be starting chemotherapy soon.  I have the port and have been doing the tests they asked.

I am going to get 4 drugs over 5 hours.  I think the 4 are standard for this, but I know everyone can be different.

I am wondering what it is actually like.  I have dexamethasone and a medication for nausea/vomiting already.  I will get a Neulasta patch afterward.  So I am wondering what it all feels like - during and after the infusion.

I know we can all be different.  But I'd like to know from someone who's been there what it feels like!

Thanks,

Hyacinth

Regular Contributor

Re: What is chemotherapy like?

I had what my oncologist called "light chemo", CMF.  I felt nothing while receiving infusion.  I was told to drink lots of fluids.  When I did feel it was within a day or two.  I kept notes so I could show the doctor.  He loved seeing them.  I would get headaches, sometimes a low fever, and generally not feeling well.  After a couple of days of that I would slowly get back to normal.

You are lucky for the patch, I had to go back for that shot, and it would make my bones ache.  Unfortunately my red count got out of whack too, and there was another shot for that which I had to get a few times.

There are so many chemo drug combos, and we are all different, but that was my experience.  Just know that you are battling those bad cells that might still be there.  You will prevail!  My chemo was 15 years ago and I am fine today.  

I will be praying for you hyacinth003.  I know the diagnosis is shocking, but women are strong.  Try going on breastcancer.org.  They have discussion boards where you can read from other ladies about every aspect of treatment.  It helped me alot.

One day at a time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 First, hang in there. As of this past May I am a 5 year survivor of colorectal cancer. I had 4 treatments of chem, then 3 weeks off, then 20 treatments of radiation, a short break and 4 more treatments of chemo.

Having a port was wonderful, it was so easy to get chemo, blood draws and the periodic port flushes to keep the port open and clean.

Anti-emetics (nausea) are a godsend. That was run first and then the chemo drugs. My sessions usually took about 3 hours total but everyone is different.

I had wonderful care. The nurses have loads of snacks available and those at my hospital let us go to their nutrition area and choose or they would bring them, or you can bring your own food.d

My only real complaint was a feeling of being very tired for a couple of days after. They will caution you to take it easy and please do.

Don't do what I did! I had a chemo pump for 2 days after each treatment. My first pump got taken off on a Friday. Next day I felt very peppy so went and did a big grocery shopping. WRONG.

The rest of the weekend I was extremely exhausted and did little more than sleep!

If you have a pump it's very easy to handle. Mine was kind of like a purse with a long strap over your shoulder. The strap comes off your shoulder whenever you want and need to sleep with it but that's easy to handle, but you can't shower for the couple of days it's on as it is hooked up to your port.

I'm sorry if this is too long but those were my experiences. I hope all goes well with you and you have excellent care.

Please feel free to post and chat about it anytime. I'm sure other members here will have much input for you as well.

I actually was extremely comfortable during my treatments. Each bay had a comfy recliner to sit in for the treatment, a TV, any warm blankets you asked for, etc. Once I actually fell asleep!

I also kept notes of any questions for my fabulous oncologist, which he liked. Drink plenty of fluids always and be optimistic. 

Respected Contributor

I've not had breast cancer but I wish you all the best and a full recovery. I have a friend who is going through chemo for colon cancer and she is doing ok but it's taking some time so prayers up for you. I had colon cancer stage 1 no treatment but I get colonoscopies every few years. Blessings  

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003    I've been fortunate to have never needed chemo, my sister did and did little complaining.  Just look at the thousands and thousands of people who did have it, survived just fine and are now smiling and happy living full busy lives.  You undoubtedly will do the same after a brief period of discomfort.

Best of luck to you.  We'll be thinking about you and hoping for an easy time.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@FLtricia wrote:

I had what my oncologist called "light chemo", CMF.  I felt nothing while receiving infusion.  I was told to drink lots of fluids.  When I did feel it was within a day or two.  I kept notes so I could show the doctor.  He loved seeing them.  I would get headaches, sometimes a low fever, and generally not feeling well.  After a couple of days of that I would slowly get back to normal.

You are lucky for the patch, I had to go back for that shot, and it would make my bones ache.  Unfortunately my red count got out of whack too, and there was another shot for that which I had to get a few times.

There are so many chemo drug combos, and we are all different, but that was my experience.  Just know that you are battling those bad cells that might still be there.  You will prevail!  My chemo was 15 years ago and I am fine today.  

I will be praying for you hyacinth003.  I know the diagnosis is shocking, but women are strong.  Try going on breastcancer.org.  They have discussion boards where you can read from other ladies about every aspect of treatment.  It helped me alot.

One day at a time.

@FLtricia 

Thanks for your reply.  They mentioned the Neulasta had been given as a shot that you had to come back for.  I have developed a new reaction to adhesive, like on bandages, so I hope the patch won't do it.  They told me to get some antihistamines to take for a few days, as the drug causes the bone marrow to release histamine when stimulated.  They said that acounts for the muscle/bone pain from the drug.

After 6 treatments at 3 weeks apart, I am supposed to undergo a lumpectomy, in the hopes the chemo shrunk or removed the tumor.  Then the final step is some radiation.  Thanks for the suggestion of the website.  I am now moving in to the wanting to know some things.  Like how does your hair fall out, when, etc.  I go between being scared and feeling like it really isn't happening to me!

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry you are going through this bit it is absolutely doable. The unknown is always scary.You need to think positive.

Everyone has a story and everyone is different.

iI am a six year survivor...triple negative, giant tumor that popped out after negative mammoand ultra sound!

I had treatment 1/2 day week 1 and 2, full day week 3. This was repeated for 12 weeks. Then then every other week full time for 6 weeks for the "Red Devil". Had neulasta the last few weeks.

I worked (elementary teacher) thru all but the last treatment. Luckily school was now out for the summer.

The treatment is NOT painful. I sat in a recliner chair that had heat control plus the lovely nurses would bring me heated blankets. ( I am cold by nature but was more pronounced then. ) Also, brought cookie snacks and lunch on long days. I drove myself to and from treatment..no problem.

I bought all of the medication on the pre chemo list. I never needed any of it. I was never nauseous or had diarrhea or constipation . Never had metal taste in my mouth.

I did became extremely anemic at the end and received a transfusion.

My hair started falling out about a few days after the start and by day 15 II started wearing my wig. No one noticed!!! It really looked like my fluffy, highlighted chin length bob!

The day of chemo(We'd. and the next day I had energy. I rested over the weekend so I was ok to teach on Mon and Tuesday.

It wasn't fun but it was doable. And six months later, surgery, and NED n o evidence of disease. Had radiation, too after teaching all day. Yes, doable.

Check out Breastcancer.org. I think that is correct. So much information and personal experiences. 

Wishing  you few side effects and a positive outcome. You can do it!

-Aimee

@hyacinth003 @btw  just read your DG commment. I wore the wig (had2) for one year until it came back sufficiently for me to have it colored!

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003   I haven't had chemo, but I do wish you all the best on this journey.  Stay strong, keep positive thoughts.

~LdyBugz

Super Contributor

@hyacinth003, I would like to send my thoughts and prayers to you for a positive outcome of your breast cancer.  The diagnosis is scary, nerve racking, depressing and anything else you could express.  However, as a 21 year survivor of this disease, I will say there is a light at the end of the scary tunnel.  As @FLtricia @stated I too had a CMF infusion and had similar results.  Please make a list of questions, symptoms, concerns you have and bring them to your appointments.  You will not remember everything while sitting in front of your Dr. They appreciate that as well.  I always traveled with a bucket in my car that contained paper towels, dry saltine crackers, mints, water,  etc. just in case I felt ill driving home.  Thankfully I never needed the bucket.  I did experience severe drop in my white count, 4 months after starting.  I was able to give myself shots of neupogen to raise white count and also had to quarantine myself away from others so as not to be hospitalized.  This happened in my 4th and 5th month of my 6 month chemo treatment.  After that 37 radiation treatments.  All in all, being extremely tired was hard on me.  I did find that the good days do come after feeling beaten up. One day I couldn't do anything but sleep, a day or so later I took my daughter to a Medieval Festival.  You just listen to your body.  As was stated before, women are stronger than we think and I know you will do fine.  Best of luck.  If you feel like checking in occasionally I know many of us would love to hear from you.

Valued Contributor

Sending good wishes and prayers.