Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is chemotherapy like?

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I've not had breast cancer but I wish you all the best and a full recovery. I have a friend who is going through chemo for colon cancer and she is doing ok but it's taking some time so prayers up for you. I had colon cancer stage 1 no treatment but I get colonoscopies every few years. Blessings  

@Goodie2shoes 

I read all of the posts preceding mine because I am very concerned about members on these forums. I was not planning to comment because I have not been through any cancer other than skin cancer. I required biopsy and different types of in office treatments.

However after reading in 2 of the posts that mentioned Colon Cancer, I decided to add my post. I do not know any of the circumstances of either person that mentioned they went through chemo as part of their treatment. That is their personal business and what they disclose is their business.

I just want to once again mention the importance of everyone making sure to get a Colonoscopy. The set age for years one should get one, was 50 years of age, for many decades. That age has been lowered because of so many being found with later stages of Colon Cancer.

Colon Cancer is one of the most preventable types of cancer one avoid. A Colonoscopy is the Gold Standard for detection, and anyone reading this thread would be wise to have this procedure at the age that is suggested. If they may have genetic factors involved, probably sooner.

@hyacinth003,  I want to wish you well through these procedures. The only thing I can add is this. Through all my serious health issues, my best friend was always Optimism. Thinking positive can be a strong factor in making it through some very tough times, even though at times, it is not easy to do.

My very best to you and my thoughts will be with you during these times.  🙏

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Zaimee wrote:

Sorry you are going through this bit it is absolutely doable. The unknown is always scary.You need to think positive.

Everyone has a story and everyone is different.

iI am a six year survivor...triple negative, giant tumor that popped out after negative mammoand ultra sound!

I had treatment 1/2 day week 1 and 2, full day week 3. This was repeated for 12 weeks. Then then every other week full time for 6 weeks for the "Red Devil". Had neulasta the last few weeks.

I worked (elementary teacher) thru all but the last treatment. Luckily school was now out for the summer.

The treatment is NOT painful. I sat in a recliner chair that had heat control plus the lovely nurses would bring me heated blankets. ( I am cold by nature but was more pronounced then. ) Also, brought cookie snacks and lunch on long days. I drove myself to and from treatment..no problem.

I bought all of the medication on the pre chemo list. I never needed any of it. I was never nauseous or had diarrhea or constipation . Never had metal taste in my mouth.

I did became extremely anemic at the end and received a transfusion.

My hair started falling out about a few days after the start and by day 15 II started wearing my wig. No one noticed!!! It really looked like my fluffy, highlighted chin length bob!

The day of chemo(We'd. and the next day I had energy. I rested over the weekend so I was ok to teach on Mon and Tuesday.

It wasn't fun but it was doable. And six months later, surgery, and NED n o evidence of disease. Had radiation, too after teaching all day. Yes, doable.

Check out Breastcancer.org. I think that is correct. So much information and personal experiences. 

Wishing  you few side effects and a positive outcome. You can do it!

-Aimee

@hyacinth003 @btw  just read your DG commment. I wore the wig (had2) for one year until it came back sufficiently for me to have it colored!

@Zaimee 

One of the first things the oncologist said about the chemo is "you're not getting the Red Devil!"

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Sending my best wishes, positive vibes, and prayers to you.  I admire your strength!

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn  wrote:

I just want to once again mention the importance of everyone making sure to get a Colonoscopy. The set age for years one should get one, was 50 years of age, for many decades. That age has been lowered because of so many being found with later stages of Colon Cancer.

Colon Cancer is one of the most preventable types of cancer one avoid. A Colonoscopy is the Gold Standard for detection, and anyone reading this thread would be wise to have this procedure at the age that is suggested. If they may have genetic factors involved, probably sooner.

John, thanks for your statement on colon cancer.  Just a little history on my dx of colon cancer. My son was 37 and had rectal bleeding for 1 yr before he finally went to the doctor and was dx with colon ca. He had sx, final dx was stage 1, no chemo needed and he is doing fine now at age 50. after his dx, the doctor encouraged me and my daughter who was 24 at that time to get colonoscopies. My daughter had a small polyp removed, no cancer, I had a large polyp that turned out to be cancer, went through surgery, dx stage 1, no treatment. This was about 8 months after my son was diagnosed so what a blessing for us

both.  So it can happen earlier than age 50. Genetics can play a big role. This all happened around 2009.

Occasional Contributor

I’m sorry you are facing this and I’d like to assure you this is a fight you can wager. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and had chemo. I decided that chemo was my friend and welcomed it into my body. I tried to drink a lot of water during the infusions and eat something healthy. It was especially nice if a family member or friend accompanied me and could help pass the time. I also used the infusion time to write thank you notes for the many kind gestures I was receiving. One thing I hadn’t expected was for my bald head to feel chilly at night so I found a thin cotton fitted cap to wear at night. I hope that you will do well. We, on the QVC forums, can be a part of your army fighting with prayers and encouragement. You can do this!!
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth00

Try to stay strong and think positive,

Thinking of you. vector card with red rose - 145267444

Respected Contributor

Blessings and prayers for you, @hyacinth003 .

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 Please know all of our good thoughts and prayers will be with you during this successful journey. Big, huge, massive virtual hug. 🤗❤️ I wish I could do more. ❤️

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband had bladder cancer and took chemo before they removed his bladder.  Several treatments and it wasn't easy on him but he made it through.  Started out just fine and later had some issues, but they are very good about helping you along the way.  

Everyone is different and all treatments are different and how many treatments as well.

My mother had breast cancer and took chemo and my sister had it and took radiation.  

You will be fine and you got it.  Treatments have come a long way.  

I am doing the cancer walk in October and I will keep you in my thoughts.  You are not alone.  Prayers for you.    Stay positive my friend.  

Regular Contributor

I wanted to add I am adding my prayers for a full recovery!