Respected Contributor

Re: What is all the hubbub about hand sanitizer for?

@Janey2 wrote:

I use hand sanitizer when out. Have been using it for many years. For example, one of the most germy parts of a restaurant is the menu. Use hand sanitizer before eating. Just my thing, don’t expect everyone to follow. Do what makes you comfortable.

I do that, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know who started it, but really wonder if the hand sanitizer companies jumped on the marketing band wagon at the get go, after a noted physician mentioned using it on a news report.  All it takes it one doc and that does it.

One of the truly laughable things I keep seeing on TV is people using their hand sanitizer by placing a glop into the palm of one hand, then mooshing it down with the other palm, then working it around from there.  I've never, ever seen anyone working their fingertips into the glops in their palms, which is what should be done, as our fingertips collect all of the garbage we touch!  I always place a glop in one palm, immediately work the fingertips of my opposite hand into the sanitizer, then do the same with the opposite palm and opposite set of fingers, prior to adding more sanitizer to rub around both hands in a scrubbing manner.

However...

had washing with lots of suds - the surfactant effect of soap to wash all of the bad stuff off of your hands, is the best.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I don't know who started it, but really wonder if the hand sanitizer companies jumped on the marketing band wagon at the get go, after a noted physician mentioned using it on a news report.  All it takes it one doc and that does it.

One of the truly laughable things I keep seeing on TV is people using their hand sanitizer by placing a glop into the palm of one hand, then mooshing it down with the other palm, then working it around from there.  I've never, ever seen anyone working their fingertips into the glops in their palms, which is what should be done, as our fingertips collect all of the garbage we touch!  I always place a glop in one palm, immediately work the fingertips of my opposite hand into the sanitizer, then do the same with the opposite palm and opposite set of fingers, prior to adding more sanitizer to rub around both hands in a scrubbing manner.

However...

had washing with lots of suds - the surfactant effect of soap to wash all of the bad stuff off of your hands, is the best.

How do you wash your hands at the gas station?  At the grocery?  When you come out of the pharmacy?  

Trusted Contributor

I don't use hand sanitizer much. I wash my hands frequently with soap and water, especially when I come into the house. The virus is not transmitted through skin contact. Just keep your hands away from your mouth, eyes, ears and nose, which is how the virus enters your body. That's why the experts tell us not to touch our faces. Too much hand sanitizer kills off beneficial bacteria as well and can lead to more resistant strains of harmful microorganisms. It should be used only when hand washing is not possible.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47

ITA. Just wash your hands.

There's even a TV commercial for [overpriced] hand sanitizer, with someone using their brand of HS...shown on the counter right next to the sink. For some, it really IS "the lazy man's hand wash."

As for how to wash hands after pumping gas or exiting a store or pharmacy, that's never been necessary, and isn't now, at least not for those of us who've always kept our hands away from our faces--and fingers out of our eyes, mouths, and noses.

Unless you're out and going to touch FOOD (pizza, sandwiches, fries, bread, etc.) where you haven't been able to wash your hands, HS is not necessary.

Viruses don't "jump" from surfaces to mucous membranes.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

I have hand sanitizer at all times, usually for when I am out and about and don't have access to soap and water.  Fortunately, I had hand sanitizer when all of this started.

I absolutely use it when going to the grocery store.  A small container goes in my pocket and after I have finished handling all the groceries and before I even touch my purse I use the hand sanitizer.  No way at this time those same hands that have opened up doors of the freezer section and have handled items in the grocery are going to touch my purse or wallet until I have used the hand sanitizer.

And yes, many of us that are nurses are using hand sanitizer out in the grocery.  We understand cross contamination and therefore will use the hand sanitizer before touching anything personal like a purse, wallet, cell phone, etc.  One reason that I don't wear gloves in the grocery, nor do any of the nurses I know.  You use those possibly contaminated gloves to get into a wallet, and possibly transfer any viruses or bacteria to those personal items that you will handle later and not think a thing about it.  So many of use go without gloves and use hand sanitizer. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

@Buffalogal47

ITA. Just wash your hands.

There's even a TV commercial for [overpriced] hand sanitizer, with someone using their brand of HS...shown on the counter right next to the sink. For some, it really IS "the lazy man's hand wash."

As for how to wash hands after pumping gas or exiting a store or pharmacy, that's never been necessary, and isn't now, at least not for those of us who've always kept our hands away from our faces--and fingers out of our eyes, mouths, and noses.

Unless you're out and going to touch FOOD (pizza, sandwiches, fries, bread, etc.) where you haven't been able to wash your hands, HS is not necessary.

Viruses don't "jump" from surfaces to mucous membranes.

____________________________________________________-

@Moonlady, Viruses that are contained in respiratory droplets most certainly can "jump" from surfaces to mucous membranes.  In public health we call the items that are capable of transferring any microbe a "fomite".  

So in the grocery store, someone infected with coronavirus talks around a display of canned goods.  Unfortunately, multiple viruses descend and lands on one of the canned goods.  Person B comes along and picks up said can and transfers a virus to hands or gloved hands.  Person B then rubs their nose or eyes.  Voila.  That can of peas has now become the fomite that transferred the virus to a host. 

One of the biggest reasons we tell people to keep their hands away from their face during flu season.  Many epidemiologists think this is a very common way that any influenza virus is transmitted.  And the same is true with this coronavirus which is why they have been telling people over and over to keep their hands away from their face.  

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Soap and water hand washing will protect from viruses.

Hand sanitizers will attack bacteria, not viruses.  Ask any scientist.  They are helpful when you are out and about with no access to soap and water.

______________________________________________________--

Hand sanitizers do kill viruses as well as fungi, and most bacteria.  Here is a website sponsored by scientists that talks about hand sanitizer:

https://www.livescience.com/5822-fighting-flu-hand-sanitizers-work.html 

There is a reason that some states that are starting to open that doctors and public health experts in that state are recommending or requiring hand sanitizing stations in hair salons and other places of business requiring patrons to sanitize their hands.  

We know from microbiology labs that hand sanitizer is very effective in killing viruses.  In fact, it is so effective that  studies have demonstrated that even poor use of hand sanitizer outperforms poor hand washing techniques.  That is one of the reasons many recommend hand sanitizer in elementary school classrooms.  Little ones are not the best at hand washing, so using hand sanitizer performs better in that group. 

That said, proper handwashing with soap and water is best.  But hand sanitizers certainly have their place.