Respected Contributor

Re: What is all the hubbub about hand sanitizer for?

I use hand sanitizer when out. Have been using it for many years. For example, one of the most germy parts of a restaurant is the menu. Use hand sanitizer before eating. Just my thing, don’t expect everyone to follow. Do what makes you comfortable.

Respected Contributor

@cmoose wrote:

I do wash my hands a lot but I also use hand sanitizer every time I get in and out of the car or am in a situation where soap and water aren't readily available. 

This. A lot of surfaces are contaminated between the time you leave the house and get back to the soap and water. 

Cars usually feel like a safe bubble to people and it's easy for them to relax inside their cars because they feel like they're closed in and away from others. If they were shopping or got gat and get back into the car, anything they touch inside the car is contaminated and if they relax, they can transfer the virus. A lot of people are taking their masks off as soon as they get into the car because they feel safe and they may be doing it with hands that are contaminated. Hand sanitizer helps keep them safe.

Respected Contributor

Lots of people are/were in panic mode, especially when watching the news and getting incomplete or changing information.   Some people are germophobes even in the best of times, so imagine them now!  

Hopefully, we are all calming down now.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Not everyone has access to soap & water during the day so that's the big deal about hand sanitizer & wipes...pretty simple.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee  Depends where you live

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

And as I said in another post I seem to remember that a few years ago we were told not to use hand "sanitizer" or other disinfectants too much because it could lead to stronger and stronger germs.  I do not use either.  Just wash my hands a lot.

And I'm amazed about the posts here about wiping down items from the grocery stores, mail, deliveries, etc.  Really???!!!

@kaydee50 the warning had to do with the Antibacterial products. After that, Antibacterial disappered from all those products, so hand sanitizers are no longer Antibacterial. I never bought into the Antibacerial craze for the same reason and made a point of not buying those products.  We already had a problem with people creating super-bugs because they were over using Antibiotics or not taking their full dose.  I always noticed in the commercials for cleaning products that there always seemed to be a few germs left behind in the cartoon demos.  There must be a legal reason for that.  And then, my husband comes home and proudly gives me a 2-pack of Dawn Antibacterial dish soap he bought on sale at Ollies.  It's currently hiding in my closet of cleaning supplies and when I ran out of my current Dawn, I bought the regular stuff.  I have a small bottle on the sink that I refill from the larger bottles, so hopefully, he'll never know the difference.  By now, he's probably forgotten about it anyways. 

I don't use hand sanitizer, never have.  In fact, I ran across two small travel size containers in my powder room the other day.  Now, I do have a friend who has Cystic Fibrosis and she and her husband use hand sanitizer all the time, but I understand that.  

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

And as I said in another post I seem to remember that a few years ago we were told not to use hand "sanitizer" or other disinfectants too much because it could lead to stronger and stronger germs.  I do not use either.  Just wash my hands a lot.

And I'm amazed about the posts here about wiping down items from the grocery stores, mail, deliveries, etc.  Really???!!!

Yes, really. Some of us are more careful than others.

Esteemed Contributor

Soap and water hand washing will protect from viruses.

Hand sanitizers will attack bacteria, not viruses.  Ask any scientist.  They are helpful when you are out and about with no access to soap and water.

Esteemed Contributor

Never have had any.  I always figured it would leak all over.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Convenience! Soap & water best. Convenience. Don't always have the option of soap & water.