Super Contributor

another colonscopy thread!  It's over now and I'm so relieved.  HockeyNut John,  I thought about you during the prep a LOT~ thanks for sharing your experiences.

I ended up taking the gallon jug of CoLyte and made it with Crystal Light (2 packages) Then I poured from the jug into empty water bottles ~ 16.9 oz.  That made 8 manageable water bottles full of yuck.  I drank deeply with nose closed, then popped a hard sour lemon drop each drink.  Harsh drinking it all, and even harsher what happened afterwards.  I am too old to pull all-nighters!  8:00 AM was procedure and the Profifall (sp) worked as promised.  woke up in a different rooom... very disorientating!

Oh well.  Clean bill of health, then next one in 5 years.

Super Contributor

Congratulations!  While I hadn't taken a poll/survey on this topic, I am sure many of us had the same scary thoughts prior to the first colonoscopy!  It was a coworker that told me not worry about the procedure itself because you are asleep!,  it's drinking all that "drink" that is the worst part of the whole procedure!

Respected Contributor

Re: What I ended up doing

[ Edited ]

It's good to have it behind you, isn't it?  Yes, the prep wrecks a whole day, but it can be a lifesaving procedure, so good for you for doing it.  A reminder to anyone who is planning to have a colonoscopy, it's best to book early in the morning to get it over with and so you don't have to spend too many more hours without eating.

Valued Contributor

I got so sick from that prep.  Now I use Miralax.  Life changing.  I alternate mixing it with iced tea and lemonade.  It is tasteless.  SO much easier.  Everybody I know is using that prep now.  If you need another colonoscopy -- talk to your doctor about it.

Trusted Contributor

Seriously,  I  haven't use the drink all that liquid method  for 15 years. Now it's 2 bottles of Gatorade.  I don't know where you went, we went to a place where all they do are Colonoscopies. 

Respected Contributor

@Helen Bach so glad everything is great!

Esteemed Contributor

@Helen Bach 

Glad my comments helped you some during your prep. Very happy to hear the results were also good news.

As far as "being disoriented"! For most of my Colonoscopies, Propofol was not the Anesthesia that was used. Fentanyl and Versed were used, which do not put many patients "completely to sleep". I had most of mine done in my 2nd home, the hospital. I was very familiar with the rooms used for the procedures, and the recovery room, so no disorientation.

Now that it's over and your got a clean result, life is good, in that respect. Good job!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@judy0330   I love ice tea, never thought about mixing the Miralax with it.  I always mixed with water since I couldn't do the gaterade.  I will difinitely ask my dr about ice tea the next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

I never found the Miralax/water combo to be too hard to drink, but this time my new Dr wanted 64 oz the night before and 64 oz the morning of.  Was to much for me.  I only did less than half the morning of.  Never had to do that before.

Respected Contributor

@sweetee2   Surely you had to mix the gatorade with a prep?

Honored Contributor