Honored Contributor

Re: What Do These Numbers Mean? (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel - Fasting)

Just ask your doctor.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

You really should be talking to your doctor about this.

Telling you that blood glucose above 100 is considered pre-diabetic should be something your doctor tells you, not someone on a shopping board.

@Bri36  Not only should this be discussed with your doctor, but it should be your doctor only.  I can't believe some would post all the details of a medical exam plus her lab results on a public bulletin board.   Is nothing sacred anymore?   What if we all did that?  Nothing is more boring or tasteless as someone else's medical results. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, disregard the static, I love reading numbers.

You need reference ranges, as nearly everyone has said. Another important factor is whether this was a fasting draw or not, which could affect the read on the blood sugar.

The important thing is you're alive and kicking and on Monday hopefully you'll get more data from your doctor's office.

My doctor doesn't mail anything but all-clears on screenings. Maybe it's a blessing.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP) is lab work that provides information about metabolic and chemical function of the body. It evaluates electrolytes, blood glucose, protein, acid-base balance, liver & kidney function.   Each of the components reported on your lab work fall into one of the above categories.

Sodium, Potassium, Chloride=electrolytes

BUN/Creatinine, GFR look at kidney function

AST, ALT,Bilirubin Alkaline Phosphatase look at liver function

and so forth.

As others have said you need the normals from the lab that performed the lab work to see if they are either low or high.  If anything is either high or low be sure to ask your doctor about that particular lab value. 

Just thought I would provide that info since I think you might be asking what they are and what they tell you.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Telling you that blood glucose above 100 is considered pre-diabetic should be something your doctor tells you, not someone on a shopping board.

Not necessarily. It depends on the lab's normal ranges. Like I said earlier, it's important to refer to the normal ranges of the lab where you got tested. Glucose of 100 can be within normal range by some lab standards.

The problem here too is when did she have her blood drawn?  If that is fasting blood glucose, that is too high.  If she just ate lunch and had her blood drawn, that number is fine.

When I had my blood drawn a few months ago, my doctor told me to have it done anytime because she wasn't testing my cholestrol.  I didn't know they did test my blood glucose and it came back "high" but they thought I had fasted. 

As an aside, I can't imagine her doctor not calling about this or that the OP doesn't have an appointment to speak with her doctor.  my current doctor calls me before sending out results.  My former doctor made me set up a follow-up appointment a week after my labs so we could go over everything.          

Esteemed Contributor

I think the fact that you got the letter means that you do not have an obvious problem!

If your reading were not OK, surely the Doctor's ofc would have called you for an appt to discuss them.

Be grateful and don't worry about them!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I think the fact that you got the letter means that you do not have an obvious problem!

If your reading were not OK, surely the Doctor's ofc would have called you for an appt to discuss them.

Be grateful and don't worry about them!

Given all the oversights and errors made in doctors' offices these days, that would be a possibly dangerous assumption.

My doctor and I discussed my bad Dexascan report, my history of major fractures, and my need for an osteoporosis treatment during my general checkup. I said I'd taken Boniva before and would be fine going on it again. When I got to the drugstore, I discovered that although she'd called in renewals for my other expiring drugs, she hadn't added a Boniva Rx.

That was an error on her part, and it would be idiotic for me to take that as her decision that I don't need medical help with my bones.

This and a couple of other things have been the last straw for me and I'm finding another GP in a different system.

AFAIC, the mistake made by the OP's office was sending out those lab results without having discussed them with her first. That's not proper protocol, for obvious reasons.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

Are you ever coming back to your thread?

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@Bri36  Not only should this be discussed with your doctor, but it should be your doctor only.  I can't believe some would post all the details of a medical exam plus her lab results on a public bulletin board.   Is nothing sacred anymore?   What if we all did that?  Nothing is more boring or tasteless as someone else's medical results. 

Oh, I don't know about that.  I think there are a number of things more boring and tasteless that have been posted here.

Cat Tongue