Honored Contributor

Well, I'm thinking about knee replacement.

[ Edited ]

Had to get the knee shots done yesterday, and my next visit, I plan to talk with my doctor re: a surgeon to get started on knee replacement.  Was talking with my doctor on this for the future.  So, been thinking about it and reading old posts on here about it.  Thinking May of next year.  Seems I need to try to strengthen my legs from what I've read in old posts here and I want to be ready. I'll just need to be patient and do the PT needed.  

I can do all that, because as soon as that leg is good, I'll need to do the other one!  The  old gray mare ain't what she use to be.  LOL  So, I'll keep reading.

Super Contributor

Re: Well, I'm thinking about knee replacement.

I had my knee replacement done last May. For some patients the proceedure does not bring much relief. If you were my friend I would tell you only get surgery AS A LAST RESORT! When you go to a surgeon they will want to do surgery. You have time to think about it. Good luck in any case.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Best thing I ever did was to get total knee replacement.  First knee done in 2012 and the other in 2013.  I have absolutely no pain, my knees feel like they did when I was 20 years old.  My suggestion to you would be get a highly trained and qualified orthopedist who has done a lot of TKR. Don't be afraid to ask how many TKR's he's done and the success rate.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  I believe orthopedic doctors will tell you there is data to prove knee replacements have a high percentage of success.  Of the people I know who have had replacements all are success stories. I happen not to be one of them. My plan had been to replace one, then the other the following year.  That was ten years ago and I still have not had that other knee replaced.  Reason being the first one never felt right even after three replacemenets done by three different doctors.  I've been getting by with the Synvisc injections in the no cartilage knee.

Respected Contributor

Had both of mine done a year apa9.  Best thing I've ever done.   May is a good time to do it because you can walk outside while rehabbing.   Good luck .

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  My knees are beat from working out. I have had the shots, meniscus surgeries, and my old doctor wanted to do knee replacement.  I am probably going to have PRP done and see where that takes me.  Not every ortho does this.

My friend had her left knee replaced at the end of November.  She really worked on building her knee muscles before her surgery and has done remarkably well, but she says that she still has pain similar to what she had before the surgery.  She is glad that she had it done.  I also had a workout partner who had it done on both knees and you would never know it.  She is up and down for floor work at the Y.  She says that she wishes that she had worked more on the exercises that they gave her after surgery.

Facebook has several boards devoted to knee replacement, so you might want to take a look there.  

Most important, I think, is to do the exercisess and get as fit as possible before the surgery.  Good luck.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Had to get the knee shots done yesterday, and my next visit, I plan to talk with my doctor re: a surgeon to get started on knee replacement.  Was talking with my doctor on this for the future.  So, been thinking about it and reading old posts on here about it.  Thinking May of next year.  Seems I need to try to strengthen my legs from what I've read in old posts here and I want to be ready. I'll just need to be patient and do the PT needed.  

I can do all that, because as soon as that leg is good, I'll need to do the other one!  The  old gray mare ain't what she use to be.  LOL  So, I'll keep reading.

@qualitygal   .. my mother had two knee replacements done (not at the same time) when she was on her late 70's early 80's.   She didn't do anything to strengthen her legs.  But she had a phenomenal surgeon.  He did nothing but knees.  When she was in a rehab for PT she did better than people who were much younger.  The physical therapists were amazed at the fantastic job the surgeon did.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had my knee done 2 1/2 years ago and so glad I did. You should try and exercise to strengthen your muscles beforehand. I would suggest if you live in a warm climate (I live in Arizona) you wait until October at least to do it. Don't do it in the summer because you won't even want to get into your car to go to therapy much less go for a walk outside. Plus they prefer you to wear shorts to therapy and I was able to do that well into December.

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal   .. my mother had two knee replacements done (not at the same time) when she was on her late 70's early 80's.   She didn't do anything to strengthen her legs.  But she had a phenomenal surgeon.  He did nothing but knees.  When she was in a rehab for PT she did better than people who were much younger.  The physical therapists were amazed at the fantastic job the surgeon did.  

@Boehm Collector   Yours is what I want my story to be too.  I want to do it before I get too old to do a good job in PT.  I realized with this having to stay in, that if I miss the shots for the knees I would be in a world of pain.  We don't want that!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

Just like any major surgery the healthier and stronger one's body is, the easier it is to recover. My Ortho friend that does only Hips and Knee Repair and Replacement has told me how much harder recovery is for those that have weak quad muscles before replacing a knee, and both of the legs.

Learned that decades ago from my myriad of lower body injuries. My back surgeries especially were true because I always worked on flexibility along with my core strength. 3 discs gone but little to no loss of flexibilty, even at my ripe old age.

Might get started now way before having a replacement. Strength and also work on the flexion(bend) and the closer to 120° you can get it pre-surgery, the better for you after with getting much of the range of motion after your replacement.

My wife is glad she had her right knee replaced and now is figuring out when to do her left one. Both were bone on bone. 

The more you learn and the work you do prior to this surgery, the better the odds of a much smoother and quicker full recovery.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)