Respected Contributor

Welcome to the September Exercise Thread

Welcome to the month of September, come one, call all!

Image may contain: ocean, outdoor and water

Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the September Exercise Thread

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/116038127876983121/

Respected Contributor

I am determined to lose 20 lbs this year, so I thought I will start exercising regularly (I am starting with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video this week), and joing this September exercise thread and say hi to everyone.

Honored Contributor

Hi my fellow fitness enthusiast @bopper!

Stopped by to say hello, and let you know I am still around here on pretty much the same forums as the past many years.

Right now when asked, I can honestly say "I am doing "GREAT" when it comes to Physical and Mental Fitness. Some don't understand that those are partners in everyone's journey to true total fitness. Without them working in tandem, those individuals will not reach what I call Total Fitness. One is as important as the other.

Went from my weakest point when I spent 6 days in the hospital with Cellulitis. Few times in my life have I been that weak, physically. Mentally I was/am still the external Optimist, and that is what sustained me on my trip to my present status, Great Physical and Mental Fitness.

Took me about 6 hard months of a broken rib/body beat up from top to bottom, but I got to my goals. Weeks of Balance Physical Therapy, and hours spent at home working every way I know how to improve my balance. This was done primarily for my one true love, ice skating.

Weight is exactly where I want and choose it to be. That part I won't say was easy, but I have changed my weight for decades, to suit the physical activities that have been a part of almost my whole life. One weight works better for certain activities, but is not the best to reach my maximum capabilities in others.

I spend around 2 hours on many of the 7 days of the week doing different things with different muscle groups, primarily the most important muscle, which is my twice damaged heart(2 heart attacks). Treadmill test a couple months ago placed me in the top 3% of men in the United States in the 70-80 year old Age Group, and the Top 10% of men over 60 years old. I now am a very fit 78 year old codger.

Today will be what I call "An Easy Day". Usually a moderate heart rate for half an hour on recumbent or NuStep, and half hour on the treadmill. Everyday includes at least 20 minutes of isolated ab exercises, including many at Total Inversion on my Teeter Inversion Table. Don't know of any Ab Workout I have ever done, that is harder than Ab Curls while perpendicular to the floor. Great for my Abs, and also for my Lumbar Spine, which is minus my L-3/L-5 and S-1 discs.

Skating tomorrow and that I now can call a workout as I am have enough balance back to be able to reach MY Max Heart Rate doing many Intervals, for much of the 2 hour skating sessions.

Tomorrow night I will be attending my 1st High School Reunion. Didn't graduate high school, but they sent me, and also called, to ask me to attend. Since this is the 60th year reunion, I figure it may be my last chance to attend one. Wasn't known by many classmates as I was the fat kid that worked 3 nights a week till 12:30am, which ruled out every extracurricular activity but Band. Then I wad the Introvert, now I am an outgoing enthusiastic and very vocal older man. No unwanted fat tissue and the much worked for Fitness Levels that have satisfied many of my life's goals in that respect.

Not one that is "book smart", but one that I consider "life experience smart", which allowed me to retire long ago at age 52. I did get my GED during my 6 years of service in the United States Army Reserves.

Hope all is well with you @bopper, it is great to see you continue this thread each month, for how many years now? Take good care my friend and my best to you and all of your loved ones, including those with fur, if you have them.

JOhn(hckynut)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

I am determined to lose 20 lbs this year, so I thought I will start exercising regularly (I am starting with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred video this week), and joing this September exercise thread and say hi to everyone.

@momoftwo2007

Sounds like you are ready. Remember that total fitness is not a persons body weight, and going just by scale numbers and/or BMI , tell you little about your body composition. It is how you feel/how your clothes fit, not arbitrary numbers shown on ANY Scale or someone's theory by using a BMI number. 

Also remember that Total Fitness, for most requires a change in Lifestyle, not a month or a few months of weight loss and intermittent physical workouts. Success, to me anyways, is a life long commitment to a healthy food program and the same for physical fitness, and don't forget that the brain also needs to be challenged on a regular basis also. Things like hand/eye coordination and reflex and balance are huge factors as the years and decades grow in numbers.

Hope your commitment is a lasting and successful journey for you, one that you can also enjoy and reap the many benefits that are available to you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@momoftwo2007 wrote:

@momoftwo2007

Sounds like you are ready. Remember that total fitness is not a persons body weight, and going just by scale numbers and/or BMI , tell you little about your body composition. It is how you feel/how your clothes fit, not arbitrary numbers shown on ANY Scale or someone's theory by using a BMI number. 

Also remember that Total Fitness, for most requires a change in Lifestyle, not a month or a few months of weight loss and intermittent physical workouts. Success, to me anyways, is a life long commitment to a healthy food program and the same for physical fitness, and don't forget that the brain also needs to be challenged on a regular basis also. Things like hand/eye coordination and reflex and balance are huge factors as the years and decades grow in numbers.

Hope your commitment is a lasting and successful journey for you, one that you can also enjoy and reap the many benefits that are available to you.

hckynut(john)

Thank you for your encouragement @hckynut

Honored Contributor

Good morning to everyone and a welcome to those who might be here for the first time.  September already....Wow!  Senior time goes fast, let me say.  I can remember when I was working when Fridays took forever to come around, lol.

Anybody noticing how much meds are going up?  My husband takes several medications, one of which is sleeping medication.  It is assumed it is because of PTSD (Vietnam).  Every so often they have to change the pill because it stops working.  Last month, the doctor prescribed one that was going to cost over $300.  He found this out when he went to pick the drug up.  He didn't buy it.  He called the doctors office they said come in for samples.  Yesterday, he went in for a follow up visit and was prescribed a different pill that was supposed to be cheaper.  Surprise again.  Insurance wouldn't pay it...$100!  Things are changing so fast that the doctors don't know what is affordable to their patients from one day to the next.

His other meds have went way up as well. Lucy for me, I take no regular medicine except for my glaucoma eye drops.  That went from mail order $15 every three months to $35 or $40 every three months...I forget because I stretch it to every five or six months.  I squeeze the tiniest bit out of that bottle.  My eye pressure is normalized so it must be enough.

So far, we are blessed that being on Medicare and a supplemental insurance plan F, we have no copays to deal with although the supplemental insurance just went up.  I'm trying to stay thankful (and am, most of the time) but it's getting harder.  This can take, not only your discretionary funds away but eat away at your budget.

Enough bad stuff.  I'm going to do senior cardio and my walk this morning.  Yesterday, I just did my walk.  Have a great day everyone!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't believe this year is coming to an end.  Biding my last few hours until 5pm when holiday weekend begins.  

It's been rainy and windy thanks to Harvey over the past two days but it's becoming beautiful fall weather as it clears.  I will be out hiking either tonight or over the holiday.

I love Fall!

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hi my fellow fitness enthusiast @bopper!

Stopped by to say hello, and let you know I am still around here on pretty much the same forums as the past many years.

Right now when asked, I can honestly say "I am doing "GREAT" when it comes to Physical and Mental Fitness. Some don't understand that those are partners in everyone's journey to true total fitness. Without them working in tandem, those individuals will not reach what I call Total Fitness. One is as important as the other.

Went from my weakest point when I spent 6 days in the hospital with Cellulitis. Few times in my life have I been that weak, physically. Mentally I was/am still the external Optimist, and that is what sustained me on my trip to my present status, Great Physical and Mental Fitness.

Took me about 6 hard months of a broken rib/body beat up from top to bottom, but I got to my goals. Weeks of Balance Physical Therapy, and hours spent at home working every way I know how to improve my balance. This was done primarily for my one true love, ice skating.

Weight is exactly where I want and choose it to be. That part I won't say was easy, but I have changed my weight for decades, to suit the physical activities that have been a part of almost my whole life. One weight works better for certain activities, but is not the best to reach my maximum capabilities in others.

I spend around 2 hours on many of the 7 days of the week doing different things with different muscle groups, primarily the most important muscle, which is my twice damaged heart(2 heart attacks). Treadmill test a couple months ago placed me in the top 3% of men in the United States in the 70-80 year old Age Group, and the Top 10% of men over 60 years old. I now am a very fit 78 year old codger.

Today will be what I call "An Easy Day". Usually a moderate heart rate for half an hour on recumbent or NuStep, and half hour on the treadmill. Everyday includes at least 20 minutes of isolated ab exercises, including many at Total Inversion on my Teeter Inversion Table. Don't know of any Ab Workout I have ever done, that is harder than Ab Curls while perpendicular to the floor. Great for my Abs, and also for my Lumbar Spine, which is minus my L-3/L-5 and S-1 discs.

Skating tomorrow and that I now can call a workout as I am have enough balance back to be able to reach MY Max Heart Rate doing many Intervals, for much of the 2 hour skating sessions.

Tomorrow night I will be attending my 1st High School Reunion. Didn't graduate high school, but they sent me, and also called, to ask me to attend. Since this is the 60th year reunion, I figure it may be my last chance to attend one. Wasn't known by many classmates as I was the fat kid that worked 3 nights a week till 12:30am, which ruled out every extracurricular activity but Band. Then I wad the Introvert, now I am an outgoing enthusiastic and very vocal older man. No unwanted fat tissue and the much worked for Fitness Levels that have satisfied many of my life's goals in that respect.

Not one that is "book smart", but one that I consider "life experience smart", which allowed me to retire long ago at age 52. I did get my GED during my 6 years of service in the United States Army Reserves.

Hope all is well with you @bopper, it is great to see you continue this thread each month, for how many years now? Take good care my friend and my best to you and all of your loved ones, including those with fur, if you have them.

JOhn(hckynut)

Hi John, so happy to hear from you!!!  Yup I will continue to do this thread as long as I possible can!   You sound great, makes me happy!   My husband had a heart attack the end of July, actually dr. said he's probably had 2 and long story short he ended up having to have Open Heart Surgery and 4 bypasses.   Total shock to us all, as he's quite active and didn't exhibit the "normal" heart attack symptoms.   Dr. told us his next visit would have been the funeral home , he was that bad.   Will always have heart disease but at lease now we know and are getting his meds adjusted and his diet ( which isn't bad) but can always be better.  Heart disease runs in his family.  Actually it runs in most families.  We are just very blessed that the Lord guided these doctors and gave him his life back.

You are most definately a very fit codger  LOL.  I also have a Teeter Inversion table but I haven't done those crunches like you do, holy cow, that is amazing!  I do my Pilates reformer, and lots of walking and stretching.  And you are still skating, good for you my friend!  I remember your hockey days!  Have fun at your reunion, they won't recognize you!   I was also in the band in highschool!   Have a blast!!!

So nice hearing from you!   Check back in once in a while, and say hi to the Mrs!

Regards Bopper! 

Respected Contributor

Hey all, sunny here and only 41 this morning.  I walked and then did some yoga stretches.   Mowed the lawn yesterday, hubby can't do any of that yet.  

Foxxie I know what you mean about the meds costing so much.  We have no prescription coverage so it really hurts us.  

September already, where has it gone!   Welcome to all the new folks too!

Enjoy the day everyone!