Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the May Exercise Thread

I am putting this on here now so I am accountable later.  I have to mow the lawn and clean out the basement this weekend.  Yes @DrKelli, you have company in the chore department.  Smiley Sad 

Might try and knock some of the basement out tonight because tomorrow I am a shopping fool!  One day weekend before company and work return.  

TGIF!  

Respected Contributor

Happy Friday everyone, a big welcome to our new friends too!   It's in the upper 50's today but the wind is cold.  When I went to town this morning, get this all the ice has blown in on the lake, so ice as far as you can see but there was fog coming off of it.  I could only see 2 car lengths in front of me because of the fog.   When I came back home, all the fog was gone, still ice but no fog.

I only walked Logan today, took an off day.   I had a massage this morning though, my neck is stiff and it felt so nice although this girl talks non stop.  I wanted to be quiet and close my eyes but she talks from the minute I get there until the timer rings and she's done.  She's super nice and into all the holestic stuff which I am also so we have things in common but I had wanted to be quiet. 

I also like to ride my bike but I agree with you on the rules, I see bikers being rude.  I am not one of them.  I always alert someone if I am approacing them from behind on the bike path, but then there are the ones riding on the road on the wrong side weaving in and out and yes running the lights.  It's a mixed bag.

I'm trying to sort out my closet now, winter stuff going into the other room and my summer stuff coming out.  I really don't have many tops, I need some but dang things are so expensive.   

I'm excited for the Kentucky Derby tomorrow, we always watch it, my sister actually went down to Kentucky last week for the Rolex which  proceeds the Derby.  Is anyone here a horse person?   My sis has a horse and he's near and dear to her heart.

I put out my Oriole feeder and hummingbird feeder today  Not sure they are here yet but I write in my bird book when they arrive each year and it was May 5th last year.

Oh on the reformer, I really like mine, I go between that and my Total Gym.  There is a lovely Aeropilates FB group too that I am in. 

Guess I better start dinner, have a lovely evening everyone.

Honored Contributor

OW!  Cleaning out a basement is miserable.  I hurt after last night but it shall not deter my shopping.  Weight lifting complete.

I hope everyone has a great Saturday!!

Honored Contributor

Oh boy.....thanks for the reminder guys that I need to change my spring/summer clothes to where my winter clothes are.  Actually I need to get rid of some clothes.  I use to wonder what older people die with so much stuff, some new with tags on them.  Now I know because it looks like that will be me, lol.  Somebody is going to have a good time after I die, lol.

Zumba this morning.  Have a great day everyone.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Good morning all!  A cool, overcast, morning here by the Bay.  Will be meeting my DD and dear son-in-law for brunch at 10:00.  Did all my errands yesterday so after brunch just have some laundry to do and some housework.  Depending on how I feel, I may try and get a short walk in later today.  Getting myself ready to go back to work on Monday.

Have a good Saturday!

Honored Contributor

It is gonna be a scorcher here in SoCal.  I did not sleep well last night......hot and dehydrated...plus I waited up for my son to get home from work at midnight......fell asleep, then up until 1.

Needless to say I am not trail material today.  Got the pool going, so maybe I'll swim!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie & Everyone Here,
Thank you for your gracious welcome to the group! How wonderful that you are so active and positive at your age! So many people just become sedentary in their senior years. My dear Mum used to do a bike every morning for an hour. Until she had colon cancer that spread all over. She fought the good fight but, sadly passed at 70. Her anniversary is this week~the 9th of May. It’s been 21 years & I still miss her as if it were yesterday.
I imagine, you’re an inspiration to us all! By the way, I’m 58 years young! Just starting to enter the autumn of life. I had to retire 9 years ago from my profession as a nurse. I miss working terribly. But, now being blessed with a Grandson, we see him at least 3-4 days a week taking care in between my daughters work hours & her husbands. So, thankfully we get good blocks of time with him~iBeing a Gran is my new passion! My husband too!
I’m trying SO hard to be as active as possible. I’m still in a boot & recovering from the surgery, I have described previously. I walked quite small distances and continued my yoga resistance band. The walking, as short as it was really did me in. Yesterday, I rested all day. This morning, I was desperately trying to get ready for 11 am Mass. The shower did me in and, I noticed my foot is a bit swollen & discoloured (normal in the first few months after lower body ortho surgery). So, DH brought our envelope to our neighbor to bring for us. It’s quite defeating! I know from this type of surgery it’s a long slow process and, I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m just chomping at the bit to be active again. I think I just overdid it generally this week, I started to cook a bit and do laundry, play with the baby more, etc.,and my body is yelling out...STOP!
I see the surgeon on Thursday & am praying she gives me the ok to start swimming again. I have to start off slowly in a therapy pool. But, can get a decent work out in there with water weights. I also hold on to a dumbell type weight & go back & forth just kicking. That may have to be a gentler kicking in the beginning. I’m hoping to build back up to where I was with true laps in the big pool, walking & yoga. Before I was severely injured @ work in 2000; I did 4 miles on the treadmill before going to work at 8 am! Plus, free weights 3x week. So different now! I have some serious chronic conditions I live with as well to be accounted for
I have to look at fitness from a different place now. This whole 10,000 steps a day thing drives me nuts!!! One ends up judging oneself when it can’t be met. Does anyone else feel this way?
Well, I’ve taken up enough of you’re & anyone else’s time! Have a lovely Sunday & week ahead. I think spring is finally here...Yay!
Respected Contributor

@Gemspirit, you've been through hard times. One of my favorite slogans is from Tony Horton who has done a bunch of fitness dvds. He says: Do your best, forget the rest. That is, don't compare yourself to others or even to where you were before surgery. Just try to do your best based are where you are now. And be sure to give your body opportunity to rest and recover.

As you know, pushing too hard can set you back. Maybe do upper body strength training with bands while sitting down on days when your lower body is just not up to a workout.

Good luck with your followup appt. this week. I hope you get clearance to start doing water therapy. It's a gentle way to workout and feels good. 

Spring is here, too, finally. Flowering trees are in bloom. It's lovely.

Valued Contributor

@nomless~You are completely correct about everything you mentioned. I guess it’s my age now or, the nature of the surgery. I have had several prior surgeries (including a crushed right ankle!). Iused to bounce back so quickly. I am nutritionally sound, have begun an entire new way to eat that is healthy & is part of what helped me lose all the weight.
I was worried about gaining weight being non weight bearing, basically lying down all day with my foot elevated. But I got up the nerve the other day to step on the scale and actually lost 5 pounds!
Thank you ever so much for your advice & support. I truly appreciate it!
Everyone here is so friendly & welcoming!
Have a great week ahead. :-)