Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the May Exercise Thread

Rec'd my new DVDs today.  Will review the "Gentle Yoga" one first.  I watched one routine from the easy section - the Morning routine - and one from the harder section - Core Strength and Flexibility.  I just watched and didn't do the routines.  Always do that first before I do a new DVD.

Gentle Yoga is a good definition.  This is not a DVD if you're looking for a vigorous workout but then i don't look at yoga that way anyway so I'm ok with that.  The instructor goes slowly enough to follow and her voice is ok, not irritating.  I definitely feel the routines would be easy to follow and do because I'm a beginner and would offer enough of a challenge.  There is plenty of stretching and working on flexibility on the routines I watched. If you are more advanced, I think you'd find it good for days you don't want a heavy workout. This DVD has its place and would be a good easy way to start yoga.  There are 8 different routines to choose from and range in time from 8 minutes - a short relaxtion routine - to 34 minutes being the longest.  They include morning energy, improving balance, core strength, standing poses, etc.

The scenery on this DVD is spectacular - its  Mt. Lassen in Northern Calif.  Will keep the DVD and give the different routines a try and will let you know more later.  Haven't looked at the other DVD so will review that later.

Honored Contributor

Good morning everybody.  Hope everyone is full of energy for their workout today.  I'm not sure what mine will be...at the fitness center or home.  I have some errands to do first.

Be healthy!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Did some combo stuff this morning.  Walked about 10 minutes, did my bike for about 15 minutes, core for 10 minutes, and then back to walking for another 20-30 minutes.  

Back to the gym tomorrow for Power.  I'm not sure I am happy about that.  I'm kind of liking my home workout.

@JudyL  Thank you for the review.  I am going to check them out.    

Respected Contributor

Good morning, all.  I have to keep telling myself what day this is.  I'm so confused!

I survived the workout yesterday, but am paying the price this morning.  Everything is sore.  Today is yoga, so I'm looking forward to that.  One of the plant managers wanted to schedule a meeting during that time and I was all nope, gotta do it earlier.  So it is at 8:30 - 9:30, giving me enough time to get down to the gym.

It was pleasant yesterday afternoon--my a/c didn't even kick on and I got to sleep with the window open.  

We've reached the point of the year where there is nothing on tv.  I watched a movie that I had recorded over the weekend.  At 7 pm, my doorbell rang--it was UPS. Then 5 minutes later it rang again--the post office had delivered a package.  I was a little annoyed about that.

I'm hoping to get in a LaBlast workout tonight when I get home.

Hope you all have a great day!

Honored Contributor

Okay I am going to do one gripe and warning if you are considering a Fitbit. 

My first clip on one disappeared at the gym within 4-5 months.  Fell out never to be seen again.  Smiley Sad

My second Fitbit HR2 on my wrist now has a slight crack in the screen (how does that happen without a drop or smack which never happened) and it's maybe a year and a half old.   Wearing it on my wrist while making breakfast should not crack a screen which in googling I find out is plastic and not anything durable.  Say what? 

I am all done with Fitbit and wasting money.  Once this gets too ugly or broken to wear, bye bye tracker.      

Respected Contributor

Hey everyone, what an overcast muggy day, ick!  I grocery shopped this morning and came right home.   My Simply Fit board came so I did the beginner workout on it.  There is a learning curve and technique but Rosalie has so many youtube videos to follow with it I think I'll like it on days I don't want to walk outside or just to mix in something different, hoping to lose inches in my waist which is my problem area.  

Judy would you mind giving the name again of the Yoga dvd so I can look that up on Amazon.  I need gentle stretching bad and I appreciate non irritating voices too Hahha.  I always watch first too Judy.

DrKelli which yoga dvd do you do, you often mention restorative yoga, is this a dvd or something else?

Laura sorry about your fitbit.  My One had the clip break so I had to put it in my pocket for a long time until I got a Charge 2.  I like it a lot but agree that sometimes you can be obsessed with the stepping and some workouts are much harder than the activity minutes give you.  

Does anyone still shop with collagevideo?  I did for a long time but got away from it.

I have to start my Bodyblade again, I don't know why I don't, there is a 6 minute routine and I have 6 minutes ,  Duh....

Anyways better get clothes out of the dryer, have a great rest of your day!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@bopper, my restorative class is at the gym.  We had a sub today and she was pretty good, except she did a lot of butterfly pose with forward bend and I don't like that at all.  Plus my legs and tush were so sore from yesterday--it was 60 minutes of torture today, but I still got it done.  I also use the 21 day Yoga retreat by beachbody.  I actually like it okay--it's pretty beginner stuff, but they show how to make it harder if you want.

@Laura14, I had 3 fitbits.  They would last about a month and then the battery wouldn't charge any more.  After the last one died, I threw it out and didn't look back.  I know how much I move.  I don't need a gadget telling me that I made 10000 steps.  I'm grown up enough to know I need to stand up once in awhile.  I'm a bit OCD anyway, I did not need that thing to add to my obsessive behavior.

Honored Contributor

@bopper  I have 2 yoga DVDs - one I've had for a few years and the new one.  The older one is "Yoga for Beginners" by bodywisdommedia.  The new one is "Gentle Yoga" by Jane Adams.

I like them both.  They are different from each other so makes it worth having both.  Easy to do.  I would say from watching "Gentle Yoga," the "Yoga for Beginners" is probably the more challenging of the two but not difficult by any means.  It shows how to make moves more challenging as you get stronger.  "Gentle Yoga" didn't do that as much. 

Just wanted you to know the differences between the two.  I can't remember where I got "Yoga for Beginners' but knowing me, it was probably Amazon.  "Gentle Yoga" was purchased from Amazon too.  Check them both out and see which one suits you best.  Let me know if you get one.

Honored Contributor

Good morning Ladies!  I’m a little bothered that my area only got a drop of moisture yesterday.  I can’t even call it rain, lol.  And my grass is yearning for it.  Just a couple of miles away, they got a downpour.  It’s muggy here, too, with one more day in the nineties.  

Ladies, I’m still in love with my Fitbit but agree that it’s addictive.  In a good way, though.  One of my bands broke after about nine months but they sent me another which took a while because they were out of stock on purple.  But the Q had two bands with my TSV so it was not a problem.  I don’t think any brand is completely accurate.  I notice that if hubby is driving and I’m doing arm exercises in the car, I  get a lot of ‘stairs’ shown.

I have an early Zumba with weights class this morning and that faux cardio class with the lady that plays Sinatra type music.  It’s barely cardio but it’s whats offered on Thursday close to what I like.  I call it The Big Warm-up or The Big Cool Down.  She’s been sick the last couple of weeks so who knows what I’ll be doing.  Sometimes I call it

the geriatric class....as if I’m not one myself....I forget that sometimes, lol.

Have a great day everyone.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Went back to the gym this morning. Did 25 minutes on the upright bike and rode through Sonoma by the ocean and then the mountains of Italy for a total of 25 minutes.

Then I went to Power and she pulled out an old school routine.  Thank you!  It even had my most favorite ab track ever.  It's set to Justin Beiber's "Baby" so you have to get over that but it's the cleanest, toughest, easiest ab track ever made.  I have always loved it.

Didn't go down in weight even when she said to and I did all the reps so I know I am definitely getting stronger.  Did all the pushups on my toes too.  It was a good day!

Have a great Thursday!