Honored Contributor

Week Four of the NFL Regular Season!!!

After this week we'll be one quarter of the way through the regular season. This is a big week with some big games. Some teams that are off to a slow start still have time to shake it off and get back on track. Some teams that everyone thought would be good will continue to slide into oblivion.

We start off this week with a measuring stick game. The Giants travel to Washington for the Thursday night game. Neither team is where they want to be with 1-2 records. NFC East games are never easy. Both teams really, really need this game. Overall, I think the Redskins are playing better than the Giants, but the injuries the Redskins are dealing with might offset that. I'm still picking the Redskins this week. I think they've gotten a boost from Kirk Cousins and will eke out the win in a close game.

Next up, Carolina goes to Baltimore. Both teams are 2-1 with pretty similar stats. I'll give the edge to Baltimore this week in another close game.

Green Bay goes to Chicago. Green Bay fans are getting a bit nervous about the Green Bay offense. I think we'll see them come out of their coma this week and upset the Bears. It should be a close game, but I've got the Packers getting the win. If they don't win this one they'll be in big, big trouble.

Buffalo goes to Houston. I think Mario Williams will be inspired this week and try to outdo JJ Watt. I'll give this one to Buffalo. Once again though the two teams are pretty evenly matched with nearly identical records.

Tennessee goes to Indy. I've got the Colts big time.

Detroit goes to the Jets. I'll take the Lions on this one.

Miami plays Oakland. I'll go with Miami here. Oakland, Jacksonville, and Tampa seem intent on earning that first overall pick this year. You're pretty safe picking anyone who plays them.

Tampa Bay plays Pittsburgh. As stated above, pick anyone playing the 0-3 teams and you're pretty safe. I'll take Pittsburgh.

Jacksonville plays San Diego. This should be an easy win for San Diego. Jacksonville will be interesting to watch now with Bortles at quarterback. They were a pretty good team last year at the end, but have been flat this year. Maybe Bortles is the spark they need. If not, then at least the Jags get a chance to see if he's their quarterback of the future.

Atlanta plays Minnesota. Atlanta looks like the team they were two years ago. I'll take Atlanta. I'm not sure what happened to them last year, but they're back to their 2012 form now.

Philly goes to San Francisco. Are the Niners as bad as they've looked this year, or just off to a bad start? Teams that have been good for a few years tend to get the benefit of the doubt, but another loss here would serve to make those doubts more pressing. The Niners are favored and the Eagle's offensive line is in shambles, but I'm taking the Eagles anyway. I've got a good feeling about this game. (God help me.) I'm thinking this might be a measuring stick game for the Eagles. The Eagles' defense is not happy with how they've been playing and I think they want to make a mark here. The Niners haven't been scoring a lot (62 points to 101 for the Eagles) so I'm thinking the defense will come through in this game and the offense will do what they normally do (score a lot) and the Eagles will come back with a 4-0 record.

New Orleans goes to Dallas. New Orleans is another one of those teams you look at and wonder if they've reached their expiration date. Without Darren Sproles teams are doubling the Saints' tight end and taking away Drew Brees' safety net. Whatever Rob Ryan did to the defense last year isn't working this year. That's a team that really can't afford to lose many more games. I've got to trust in Brees though to pull this one out. I'm going with the Saints.

And finally, we have New England at KC. About the only thing going for KC in this game is the "at KC" part. The Chiefs have been decimated with injuries, their offensive line is a sieve, the team isn't meshing. Of course, the Patriots offensive line isn't really a strength either. I'll give a slight edge to the Patriots here. Andy's good at getting his teams ready for a Monday night game, but I just don't think that's a very good team right now.

And that's it for the one quarter mark of the season. This football season will be over before you know it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Four of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Yes, let's hope the 'Skins win this one, over the Giants. There's still talk of RGIII coming back and I truly believe Capt Kirk is a better QB. He's got to get this team to a win! Of course it is now rainy in the DC area and the field will be sloppy (Danny Boy can't seem to make infrastructure improvements - I guess he doesn't have the $$$).

This household is precariously close to becoming Eagles fans.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yikes! What happened to the Redskins? Kirk Cousins looked like Joe Montana last week and Ryan Leaf this week. Four interceptions and a fumble are not a good way to win the starting QB job. I'm thinking somewhere along the sidelines RGIII was breathing a sigh of relief after that performance. Had Cousins kept playing like he did last week there was no chance RGIII would get the job back. Right now RGIII is starting to look a lot better to the Redskins' fans. That starting job is looking a bit more open all of the time. So much for NFC East battles being close, hard fought games. Now the question is are the Giants that good and the Redskins that bad, or did one team have a really good day while the other had a really bad day?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I turned off the game in the 4th quarter. The only explanation I can think of is that aliens switched Eli and Cousins brains before the game. This was the worst I've seen Cousins play (and I haven't seen that many Redskins games.) Their coach, Jay Gruden, doesn't mince words, calling it a "Total debacle" of the team. It wasn't all Cousins fault: the whole team just imploded.

I don't think Washington is really that bad. They had an off night, which happens to every team. I don't expect Washington to be in the playoffs, but they are better than last night. They have many talented players, they just need to get things together.

As far as the Giants being great, I'm reserving judgment. This was one game, I'll have to see how the rest of the season goes. Last night they played like they were headed to post season, and they do have talent, but they still have issues to work out. Although, from watching the game, you never could tell. I have to admit that I just don't care about the Giants (don't like Coughlin), so any comments are kind of biased.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 gardenman said:

Yikes! What happened to the Redskins? Kirk Cousins looked like Joe Montana last week and Ryan Leaf this week. Four interceptions and a fumble are not a good way to win the starting QB job. I'm thinking somewhere along the sidelines RGIII was breathing a sigh of relief after that performance. Had Cousins kept playing like he did last week there was no chance RGIII would get the job back. Right now RGIII is starting to look a lot better to the Redskins' fans. That starting job is looking a bit more open all of the time. So much for NFC East battles being close, hard fought games. Now the question is are the Giants that good and the Redskins that bad, or did one team have a really good day while the other had a really bad day?

GARDENMAN---

Why didn't we run the ball early and often----there was no balanced attack Morris was one of the few healthy players and they seemed to give him a few passes, there were a few nice runs in there....All heck broke lose for our offense---Capt Kirk was forcing things and was downright awful......course the line didn't give him much time....

I know the defense was beat up and banged up and we really needed a healthy Hatcher and D Hall being out for the season hurt too....but your offense can't fumble and bumble and turn over the ball putting the already beat up and banged up defense in a bad position!!!! SHEESH!!! A running game would have used more time of position too and given them a bit of a break.....

After playing tough against the Eagles then we had this....ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Playing Thursday gives us a little more time to bind our wounds and hopefully figure out something......don't ya know somewhere Robert was smiling.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 9/26/2014 teganslaw said:

I turned off the game in the 4th quarter. The only explanation I can think of is that aliens switched Eli and Cousins brains before the game. This was the worst I've seen Cousins play (and I haven't seen that many Redskins games.) Their coach, Jay Gruden, doesn't mince words, calling it a "Total debacle" of the team. It wasn't all Cousins fault: the whole team just imploded.

I don't think Washington is really that bad. They had an off night, which happens to every team. I don't expect Washington to be in the playoffs, but they are better than last night. They have many talented players, they just need to get things together.

As far as the Giants being great, I'm reserving judgment. This was one game, I'll have to see how the rest of the season goes. Last night they played like they were headed to post season, and they do have talent, but they still have issues to work out. Although, from watching the game, you never could tell. I have to admit that I just don't care about the Giants (don't like Coughlin), so any comments are kind of biased.

Hi TEGAN.....Yep an alien intervention is the only possible explanation of this TOTAL FIASCO!!!! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Not fond of the game plan---where is former coach, Jim Zorn when we need him.....(being sarcastic here)......no offense, no defense....special teams were awful....

Hopefully we can regroup and do SOMETHING right the next game......maybe it was just one of those games.....

I don't think the Giants are that good, we were that bad....let's see how the Giants fare against the Falcons next week....I think my DS is in the process of booking her Super Bowl tickets....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I enjoy reading this thread but rarely have any reason to post here.

However, this time I think it's clear to many of us Saints fans that the New Orleans Saints need a new Defensive Coordinator. It was obvious to fans in the last game that there were some large differences of opinion between the head coach and the DC. With good reason. The defense just isn't doing the job under this man.

Further I think they made a huge mistake when then let Darren Sproles go.

I think we'll see a new DC next season, and maybe sooner. And I live just outside New Orleans.

Honored Contributor

Haven't been doing too well with my picks, but here goes---{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Panthers/Ravens---I really wanna pick the Ravesn, Steve Smith's revenge on his old team, but Sunshine issued an ultimatum so going with PANTHERS!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Packers/Bears-Arraon Rodgers singing the Frankie Goes To Hollywood song, RELAX, but this team doesn't appear on track....going with DA BEARS!

Bills/Houston---Houston's defense and offense struggled---going with THE BILLS

Titans/Colts--going with THE COLTS!

Lions/Jets-when will the Lions record match their talent, maybe never, but up against an inept Jet's offense ..... you really need more help on offense Rex----going with LIONS!

Dolphins/Oakland--Miami seems to be in discord with HC questioning QB ....going with the RAIDERS here....

Bucs/Steelers-Bucs are as dismal as my Redskins, Steelers got it together--STEELERS!

Jags/Chargers---new QB for Jags, but Chargers are hitting on all cylinders---CHARGERS

Falcons/Vikings-rookie for QB on Vikings, no AD---Falcons seem like they have something to prove this season and have a ton of talent FALCONS!

Eagles/49ers---great matchup----it's a must win for the 49ers if they are to keep in the division race with the Hawks and Cards....we know what the Eagles can do on offense, but their defense gave up lots of points against the Redskins....I am going with 49ers here (sorry Gardenman)....

Saints/Cowboys-in Jerry's Palace which doesn't give them a home edge....the Saints should get back on track offensively ..and if Rob Ryan wants to keep his job, he better do something with that Saints defense......going with SAINTS!

Pats/Chiefs----Chiefs surprised Dolphins---but it was the Dolphins, and the Pats have been a disappointment....don't have the talent on offense.....BUT I don't see Belichick and Brady losing on MNF in front of a national auidence....PATS

Honored Contributor

SPURT. Yeah, I have a feeling RGIII was breathing a lot easier at the end of that game. If Kirk Cousins had kept playing at the level he did against Philly, RGIII would have been on the bench for a long, long time. Now it looks like he'll be welcomed back with open arms.

Running the ball more would have been a good idea. You can't abandon the run and only throw the ball or you're playing into the other team's hands. With a 1-3 record and a tough schedule coming up (Seahawks, Cardinals) the Redskins are likely looking at a 1-5 start. They do get a break in having the Seahawks come to Washington, but the Seahawks are a better team than the Giants and we saw what the Giants did to Washington. The schedule softens out a bit after that (Titans, Cowboys, Vikings, Bucs) so the team could rebound a bit, but winning the NFC East looks like a very, very long shot for Washington. They'd pretty much have to sweep those four games to get to 5-5 only to then run into the Niners and the Colts. Now the Niners may be in shambles by then or they could be leading the NFC West, we just don't know.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Dec. 4th on NBC sports network. "Still Standing, the Earl Campbell Story" So I know nobody but me cares about this. I got a little teary eyed just from the preview - so silly. Going to be a great walk down memory lane for me, and I may even catch a glimpse of myself shaking my pom pom in the crowd, if I can recognize myself. LOL Luv Ya Blue!

Cowboys NEED to beat the Saints. Payback after losing in OT on my birthday last year. Worse part besides losing was leaving the stadium having to listen to Who Dat. Texans looked terrible last week. I'm really not expecting a win from either team, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

GOOO COWBOYS, GOOO TEXANS

enjoy your games everyone