Honored Contributor

Re: WW fires 4,000 employees in a Zoom call. No severance.

Weight Watchers ran a bunch of new commercials recently. They were offering a special of some sort. And not sure of the exact date that the special expired, maybe last week.

Valued Contributor

Figures.  My company helps cover some of the WW costs so I just joined.  Now I kinda feel bad that I did not that it would help any of these laid-off workers.

Esteemed Contributor

@chvall99 If you had a good reason for joining, you have a good reason to continue, regardless of who was fired.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I actually thot it was funny when they stopped calling it weight watchers in the ads and call it WW.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I actually thot it was funny when they stopped calling it weight watchers in the ads and call it WW.

@CherryHugs  You’re right, kind of like how Kentucky Fried Chicken is now KFC. There are other examples too of how companies change their name. 

Honored Contributor

if they were using Zoom they were really taking the cheap way out; Zoom is free but you can only use it for a short time...guess firing 400 at one time was all they could afford. Pretty crummy treatment. They could have had a lot of new members now that so many are dealing with the "quarantine fifteen"
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

@CherryHugs, it was stupid really.  Even at a meeting Weight Watchers is the name referenced, not WW.  If you Google 'Weight Watchers', you get both.  The name will never change.  Nobody calls it 'Wellness Works'.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boomernichols wrote:

@jlkz Oprah was home counting points...................and her money.

5481C7A2-09CD-47D2-A638-EEC76EE636DA.jpeg
And talking about her giant cabbage from her garden.... not concerned with people losing their lively hood....

How do you know how concerned she is @SeaMaiden ? Have you heard about Covid-19? 38 million people are out of work, is that Oprah's fault as well?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately there will be more layoffs all over. I was on a conference call with people all over the world and the call was muted so no one could ask questions. I thought they were laying us all off. But it wasn't about that. it was about Covid 19. That call will come and I work for a company that " is too large to fail:" . At leas that 's what was said in 2008. It looks too bad for a company to lay off during this time so they will wait awhile. I've heard next round is in June. The future in business is grim for a lot of people.  I just pray there will be severance for us. My biggest concern is health care. We need affordable health care in this country.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would bet Oprah didn't know a thing about this and I would also bet she has something to say about this happening via Zoom.  I couldn't find any article that stated exactly how many employees were fired, just that it was thousands.  

These people were fired, not laid off so my guess is they won't be called back.   

Uber also fired 3,700 people via Zoom.  And these aren't the only companies who are letting people go.  Some companies have come to realize they don't need all the employees they had so they are letting people go and for some companies, this was the perfect opportunity to fire the less than stellar employees.  

I'm not sure what "emails were deleted so no one could reply" means.  The Zoom conference was muted so no one could comment.  Also, no one knew who else was in the conference.   However, according to one of the employees, you were encouraged to speak with your supervisor if you had questions.