Honored Contributor

Re: WATERPIKS ~ ANY RECOMMENDATIONS??

@chickenbutt wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@chickenbutt   If I may ask, what is the RX toothpaste you use?  My DH has chronic dry mouth because of having a bone marrow transplant 10 years ago.  He also has dry eyes.  We have tried so many things to alleviate this.  People don't realize how important saliva is for mouth health.  He is getting cavities because of it and he is 74 years old.  He always says that if this is the worst thing he has to deal with a result of his transplant, he isn't complaining.  

This was the reason for my starting this post. TIA

It is Colgate PreviDent 5000.   It costs more, as I have to get it from the dentist's office, but really I think it works out very inexpensive because one 3.4oz bottle lasts many months.

I also like Sensodyne products.   But the PreviDent is about having 3 times the amount of Fluoride as drugstore toothpastes.    I'm seeing improvement since I started using it, and even more using it with my Cybersonic toothbrush.   I like Cybersonic more than the more mainstream sonic toothbrushes because it, well it's better, and it comes with a pretty small, round brush.   For me, that is perfect.

HTH!  Smiley Happy

@tends2dogs, I use the same RX toothpaste.  I get a prescription from the dentist and pick it up in the pharmacy but my insurance doesn’t cover it.  I agree with @chickenbutt that it lasts a few months.  You can’t drink or eat for 30 mins after using it.  

Honored Contributor

I wonder if the Rx toothpaste costs any less by having to get it at the pharmacy.   I can't remember what I have been paying but I know it's probably around $10-$15.

They just put it in my little bag of dentist stuff and I pay for it, along with my cleaning/etc bill, in the dentist's office.  (I don't have insurance)

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

I use the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser.  I've been using a Waterpik for years and love it.  Hope this helps.

@Misplaced Parisian  and @chickenbutt   Is the model that you both have cordless or plug in?  How big of a footprint is it on your vanity?  Sorry to sound picky.  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

I use the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser.  I've been using a Waterpik for years and love it.  Hope this helps.

@Misplaced Parisian  and @chickenbutt   Is the model that you both have cordless or plug in?  How big of a footprint is it on your vanity?  Sorry to sound picky.  TIA

@tends2dogs Mine is a plug in one and it doesn't take up much room.  I have a small sink vanity so space is a premium.  This item is a non-negotiable for me, I must have one so I will make room for it regardless.  I quickly measured and mine is approximately 7 inches high, 5 inches across and 3.5 inches deep....hope that rough measurement helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian   Thank you!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian   Thank you!

@tends2dogs  You are most welcome! 

Honored Contributor

I would add that the footprint of this model is smaller than the ones I've had in the past so if space were a premium, this one would not be problematic at all.