Super Contributor

So confused!  Was on google and Amazon.  Every time I choose a product, I read a review against it!  There is a lot of junk out there.  

I have a sensitive stomach and have discontinued vitamins in the past because of stomach upset. I know my eating does not povide me with the nutrients my senior body should have and because I will be having a few joint surgeries in the near future I'm thinking of starting vitamins again.

My husband is religious about taking his vitamins.  He has a stomach of iron but also has had may bouts of serious medical conditions that he bounced back from.  Maybe the vitamins plus he eats well!  I don't have the appetite he has.

Thought I would come here to see what others are doing.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@cddh 

The only vitamins I take are: D3 because of a deficiency at one time. B-12 injections once a month because of past blood loss, and to keep Iron Ferritin levels in a safe range. If low, it requires Iron Infusions(2), which can take up to 8 hours, on 2 consecutive weeks.

If I do not have a deficiency I see no purpose in supplementing my body with them.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Indeed, there are a lot of junk supplements out there. I would say stay away from hard tablets. They are the cheapest formulation and hard to digest. Most have additives like talc.

Maybe look at a protein supplement with a good balance of vitamins and minerals?  There are a lot of good brands like Optimum Nutrition. Mix in water, milk or juice. I put 1/2 scoop of vanilla with my oatmeal.  I add cinnamon, real maple syrup, milk, etc to flavor.

You can also look at ready to drink brands but stay away from the cheap stuff and kwap that's marketed to seniors.

You get what you pay for.

Super Contributor

Snowpuppy:  Excellent!  I had forgotten about protein drinks!  We were involved with the "Melaleuca" company for many, many years so I have a healthy supply of their protein drinks/supplements and I know they are quality!

That's what I will do!

Respected Contributor

@cddh wrote:

So confused!  Was on google and Amazon.  Every time I choose a product, I read a review against it!  There is a lot of junk out there.  

I have a sensitive stomach and have discontinued vitamins in the past because of stomach upset. I know my eating does not povide me with the nutrients my senior body should have and because I will be having a few joint surgeries in the near future I'm thinking of starting vitamins again.

My husband is religious about taking his vitamins.  He has a stomach of iron but also has had may bouts of serious medical conditions that he bounced back from.  Maybe the vitamins plus he eats well!  I don't have the appetite he has.

Thought I would come here to see what others are doing.  Thanks.

I'm thinking what he eats plays a bigger part than vitamins.   You may not be able to eat a lot but what you do eat needs to be healthy.  Don't substitute vitamins for a healthy diet.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried Andrew Lessman's vitamins? They are the best. These are the only vitamins I will ever take. They are having a Today's Special on HSN today. I order when they are on special. They all have free shipping and handling. 

Honored Contributor

@cddh 

My advice is to not waste money on any vitamins or supplements until your doctor orders blood work to check your vitamin and mineral levels.  Let him tell you what you might be deficient in, and go from there.   Otherwise you are literally flushing your money down the toilet!

Trusted Contributor

I have never been able to take multivitamins....tried several brands; bother my stomach. Dr says it is usually the iron in a multivitamin that gives people a stomach upset. I take my vitamins individually and that works better for me. Premier Protein drinks are fabulous. 1 g sugar and 30 G protein and they taste great. The "senior" drinks taste bad and don't have nearly the nutrition as the Premier drinks. Costco has the best price especially when on sale, but you can buy a four pack at WM or grocery store to try them. Their website is helpful also.

Honored Contributor

Whenever possible I look for the USP verified mark on the label. For me that helps narrow my choices down so I'm not looking at so many.

download (2).jpg

Super Contributor

Dellabelle:  Thank you for that info.  Maybe it is the iron that causes my stomach upset.