Contributor

has anyone ever had one and had surgery.. I have one and just wondering how was surgery

Respected Contributor

Re: Ventral hernia

[ Edited ]

@pbb  I don’t have any experience with this condition, but there are YouTube videos on ventral hernia surgery which might be helpful to you.

Trusted Contributor

I had ventral hernia surgery in 2004.  One day I noticed a "bulge" in my midsection and immediately went to my PCP.  He looked at it, called an ambulance and I was taken directly to the hospital ER!!  I have about a 3" scar that has disappeared over the years and never had one iota of trouble or any complications.  I took 2 weeks off from work.  Good Luck to you!

Respected Contributor

I had one that I didn't know was there.  I actually had a fairly big umbilical hernia.  When I had surgery to repair that one, the surgeon found a ventral hernia underneath the umbilical hernia.  Both were repaired in outpatient surgery.  I went home about 2 hours after surgery.   They gave me plenty of pain meds that I took for 2 days.  I was only out of commission for about 5 days.  It wasn't a big deal, and now I have a piece of mesh holding my innards in.  I remember a guy in the recovery room with me.  After his surgery he just got up, put on his clothes, tied his shoes, and left.  Acted like nothing happened.  My gallbladder surgery was much worse.

Contributor

thank you

Contributor

oh my.. thank you so much  glad you are doing well

Contributor

thank you.. glad you are doing well...

Respected Contributor

My husband has had this surgery...twice. The first time, about seven or so years ago, was not "too" bad. For reference, which I think is important, he was around 56 years old then. For whatever reason, he yet again in 2016 started having problems. Had to have a redo surgical procedure and the pain was much more intense, and the recovery much, much longer. I don't know if this is even possible but this hernia defect seems to run in his family. His mother also had to have the surgery along with two out of three of his brothers. His mother had the surgery when she was in her late 70's, and even though she was truly TOUGH AS NAILS, it surprised her how it turned out to be much more painful then she expected. This after previous knee and hip replacement surgeries.