Respected Contributor

Using Weights As You Get Older (Past 70)

For years I have done aerobic exercises and used weights.  Over the past year my back has been aching a lot so I made an appointment with the doctor last week.  I know its the muscles in my back but I kept thinking I wasn't using enough weight.

He told me to stop using the weights because it's causing tension on my muscles and irritating them.  He told me to do yoga.  Which is fine except can you retain your muscles by doing yoga?  He says yes but I don't know.

Do any of you use weight training to keep in shape? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Using Weights As You Get Older (Past 70)

My Dad is 80 years old and has been doing Yoga for the last 10 years and is in great shape.  You are using your own body weight to strengthen your muscles.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I use weights, and don't intend to ever stop.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped using weights 2 years ago, due to the fact that it lowered my bone density. For some, it increases bone density...but not for me. It put too much stress on my spine. 

Valued Contributor

I use weights to keep in shape but I do yoga too.  One day I do yoga. The next day I weight train. Alternating works for me. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@Winkk @Yoga done with a good instructor is very beneficial.I think using hand weights or any exercise done without good form or to excess can cause injury.

Honored Contributor

At a local exercise class, the leader would belittle the ladies who only used two pound weights. One lady quit the class because she had tendon issues from trying to use the heavier weights. Asking the leader to respect the advice from her doctor was pointless...the leader was bullheaded.

Respected Contributor

I will be 70  this year and I still use weights along with doing other forms of exercise. I am surprised that he told you to stop. Even though we really can't build much muscle at this age, you don't want to lose what you have. Yoga is awesome for maintaining flexibility but you still need other forms incorcoporated into your fitness plan. I don't lift the amount that I used to but I still give myself a good workout. If start yoga and love your results then stick with it. Maybe you could incorporate some walking also and that will give you the cardio benefit.

Honored Contributor

We have just started. My husbands Chiro warned us to take it easy. He said a little over time is good , but, if you overdo, you can seriously hurt yourself. So that is what we do ,and we do it 3 times a week.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Winkk @Yoga done with a good instructor is very beneficial.I think using hand weights or any exercise done without good form or to excess can cause injury.

I think that's what my doctor believes too @dex.  Although I have been doing weights for years he believes I may not be using proper form and doing more harm than good.