Respected Contributor

Re: Using Weights As You Get Older (Past 70)

@AuntG wrote:

At a local exercise class, the leader would belittle the ladies who only used two pound weights. One lady quit the class because she had tendon issues from trying to use the heavier weights. Asking the leader to respect the advice from her doctor was pointless...the leader was bullheaded.

@AuntG - My doctor said as you get older your body has to be treated differently.  I am not a 70 year old in a 40 year old body.  I'm going to have to try other exercising options.

Respected Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

I will be 70  this year and I still use weights along with doing other forms of exercise. I am surprised that he told you to stop. Even though we really can't build much muscle at this age, you don't want to lose what you have. Yoga is awesome for maintaining flexibility but you still need other forms incorcoporated into your fitness plan. I don't lift the amount that I used to but I still give myself a good workout. If start yoga and love your results then stick with it. Maybe you could incorporate some walking also and that will give you the cardio benefit.

That was my thinking too @Tricolor.  Yoga is great but will it help me maintain my muscles?  Do you mind me asking do you do weights at home or a gym?  If you use hand weights about how much do you lift?

Honored Contributor

@Winkk @I learned to lift weights from a very good personal trainer who closely watched my form.I now have an amazing Pilates instructor who doesn’t allow anyone to use bad form.She has a small studio gym and really is one of the best.We pay 40 a month for five days a week.I think it is one of my best health decisions.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@Tricolor wrote:

I will be 70  this year and I still use weights along with doing other forms of exercise. I am surprised that he told you to stop. Even though we really can't build much muscle at this age, you don't want to lose what you have. Yoga is awesome for maintaining flexibility but you still need other forms incorcoporated into your fitness plan. I don't lift the amount that I used to but I still give myself a good workout. If start yoga and love your results then stick with it. Maybe you could incorporate some walking also and that will give you the cardio benefit.

That was my thinking too @Tricolor.  Yoga is great but will it help me maintain my muscles?  Do you mind me asking do you do weights at home or a gym?  If you use hand weights about how much do you lift?

Google "Benefits of Yoga" to help you decide.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

If anyone thinks they can’t build muscles after a certain age you need to see the utube video of an African American woman in her 70 s who is a body builder.Sorry I can’t remember her name but I will never forget her fabulous physique.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Look up oldest female body builder...you will be amazed

Honored Contributor

Are you doing core exercises?  Both abs and back.  The abs support the back.  I'm not 70 and I don't lift free weights, but use the machines.  The Back Extension one is good for the back.  There are also floor exercises meant to strengthen the back.  

I went to a chiropracter once several years ago due to pain in my back that almost made me give up Figure Skating.  Basically, I ended up with orthotics and several back exercises to do. 

Honored Contributor

I go to a senior fit exercise class 4 days a week.  Two days, it's weights.  Two days it's bands.  The age range in the class is 55 to 90+.  Male and female.  My guess is that on weights days, 95% of the class uses weights ranging from 1-2 lbs on up.  These classes are sponsored by a local hospital.  It was never suggested that we should not be using weights beyond a certain age.

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby uses weights, since the ago of 14. I bet no one seeing him in person can guess his age.  He is just fine, back and all. 

Trusted Contributor

@Effie54 : OMG, was it explained to you why you had bone loss with weights?

I know for myself I have had to lower the weights I use but at 74 don’t want to quit. If the weights I use are too heavy I would have to arch my back to lift and no way will I do that so the heaviest I’ll use are 8lbs. I have always had issues with my joints so I watch that closely. 

My last bone scan said I had the bones of a 24 year old....hope that’s a healthy 24yr old😁