Honored Contributor

Users Complain Of Rashes From Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Surge, Told To Air Out Their Wrists

A heads up for those using the Fitbit Charge and/or Surge, from The Consumerist, 2/12/15:

~~~~~~

"It was thirteen months ago that we heard the first reports of serious skin problems caused by the Fitbit Force wristband. Since then, Fitbit has introduced a new generation of trackers and fitness watches, adding a pretty strong warning label to them about the possibility of allergic reactions. The new batch of products has led to a new batch of complaints.

One group of co-workers are well positioned to notice common problems with the new trackers, since they all received them from their employer as a holiday gift. Two people in the same office noticed rashes on the wrist where they wear the tracker, and took their concerns to TV station KGO.

They say that they contacted Fitbit, the company apologized and asked whether the users needed to see a doctor.

Fitbit explained to KGO’s Michael Finney in a statement that the company changed factors that they suspected caused skin irritation issues with the Force: they used less of a certain adhesive, and the new trackers also contain less nickel than the Force.

Users are also warned that wearing the band too tight or getting moisture under it may cause skin problems. Yet the people complaining to KGO of issues say that they kept their wrists clean, their bands loose, and their skin dry.

Users of both new bands, the Charge and Surge, complain of skin irritation.

If you encounter problems with a fitness tracker of any brand, contact the company with your complaints, and be sure to file an incident report with the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

7 ON YOUR SIDE: FITBIT RELEASES NEW TRACKERS, RASH PROBLEM REMAINS [KGO]"

~~~~~~

link: http://consumerist.com/2015/02/12/users-complain-of-rashes-from-fitbit-charge-told-to-air-out-their...

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Users Complain Of Rashes From Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Surge, Told To Air Out Their Wrists

I had a Zip for 2 years...now have a One.

NO problems, because they hook on to clothes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Users Complain Of Rashes From Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Surge, Told To Air Out Their Wrists

I've had the One for 2+ years, and like terrier mentioned.....no problems.

I wouldn't want to wear a wrist device, and am unsure as to why these are so popular. Not for me.

Super Contributor

On 2/13/2015 september said:

I've had the One for 2+ years, and like terrier mentioned.....no problems.

I wouldn't want to wear a wrist device, and am unsure as to why these are so popular. Not for me.

^^^^this

Honored Contributor

I have a flex. I can see where one could get a rash. I don't wear mine in the shower or when I submerge my hands in water. I haven't had any issues.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I've got the Flex, too. I've never had a problem. I don't strap it on so tightly during the day that it obstructs the air flow around my wrist. I loosen it further when I sleep at night.

I love mine.Smile

Respected Contributor

On 2/14/2015 Oostende said:

I've got the Flex, too. I've never had a problem. I don't strap it on so tightly during the day that it obstructs the air flow around my wrist. I loosen it further when I sleep at night.

I love mine.Smile

That's what I do too. No problems and I love it!

Frequent Contributor

I got the Flex as a TSV in June and it really motivates me, I have lost 22 pounds since I purchased it, 8 more and I am back to my high school weight.

That said, I only take it off when I am bathing or charging.

Valued Contributor

Anything made of plastic/silicon/rubber worn tight on your wrist like this is going to have that effect.

It's because the skin can't breathe. There's nothing sinister going on.

The cynic in me suspects there'll be a lot more of these complaints in the run up to the Apple watch launch as buyer's remorse sets in and people try to get their money back.

Super Contributor

I developed a rash from my Flex and haven't used it for 2 months. Smiley Sad

- Bird