Honored Contributor

Re: Type 2 diabetes doesn't need daily testing?

wrote:

@Trinity11. Have you tried any type of continous glucose monitor?  My daughter wears one.  It's small and attaches to her belly.  She prefers this to doing the numerous finger pricks.  

I had issues with infection from it @september, so it didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I hope your daughter is doing well...

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Trinity11. Have you tried any type of continous glucose monitor?  My daughter wears one.  It's small and attaches to her belly.  She prefers this to doing the numerous finger pricks.  

I had issues with infection from it @september, so it didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I hope your daughter is doing well...

This is all new to her...she hasn't had an infection yet. 

She's doing okay....was just diagnosed a few months ago, but has accepted that this is her life from now on.  

I appreciate reading posts from those of you who share. It helps me understand what she's going through 

Honored Contributor

What do you consider a normal A1C? Mine was 6.2 at one time, but after losing weight with WW my last 6 tests have been 5.2 or 5.3. I take 500 mg Metformin ER daily.
Honored Contributor

I think it's 5.6 or below @Tissyanne

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been some newer studies that claim older diabetics are being overtreated. My endocrinologist wants an A1C of 6.5 to 7 because she feels that hypoglycemia is worse and affect cognitive abilities as one ages. I am about to turn 65 but have been Type 1 since I was 17. When my A1C is in the 5's, I spend most of my time correcting hypoglycemic attacks.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  It's good to know they are taking things like age into consideration

I think I have a milder form even though my morning readings are a bit high...I am always under 150  ,and well under it

But since my digestive upset  I am not longer able to maintain the low numbers I used to... the Dr says it's connected

Honored Contributor

Wow, my father's did, and sometimes twice a day as noted by someone else on here.

Honored Contributor

wrote:
What do you consider a normal A1C? Mine was 6.2 at one time, but after losing weight with WW my last 6 tests have been 5.2 or 5.3. I take 500 mg Metformin ER daily.

For a diabetic, that can depend on your doctor and what medical research has shown this month, or this year (or maybe this week). When I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, anything below 6 was normal, anything 6 to 6.5 was okay but not brilliant, and 6.6 and above was not good.

Now “it’s been decided” that an A1C of 7.1 and above is not good, but anything under that is “normal.”  I heartily disagree with this POV and approach.

The latest studies have commented on “older patients”, but when you break down “what is older” and WHY they think that they are over-medicated is...OMG, does anyone (including the doctors) have common sense?

The study considers 65 year olds and 85 year olds in the same age group, physically and cognitively. Say what? Noooo. The study also hammers multiple hypoglycemic episodes, including those in T1 patients. IMO T1 and T2 are not, and should not be, treated identically.

So here am I, an “older” T2 under great control with an A1C my previous doctors were ecstatic about, seeing an MD who I swear wants my A1C to be 7! He is coming unglued because it’s “too good” at 5.4. He wants my A1C higher or he wants to eliminate half my meds. I’m appalled by this.

I suspect my A1C will be up next month simply because he lowered my dose of Metformin. He will be happy but I won’t be. If anything gets me to look for another doctor, it will be this issue. I am not in danger of either going low all the time (I wish) or keeling over in a faint because I take too many meds, am forgetful, blah blah. But he chooses to manage my diabetes as if I wasn’t diabetic. I find it creepy, and it affects my confidence in him.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Oh, wow, @Moonchilde

I do not like bully doctors, I do not like them one bit.

They fuss and they grumble and make you commit.

You know your own tricks, you know them best.

You'll find your own way, and live long with much zest!

(apologies to Dr. Seuss)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

For a diabetic, that can depend on your doctor and what medical research has shown this month, or this year (or maybe this week). When I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, anything below 6 was normal, anything 6 to 6.5 was okay but not brilliant, and 6.6 and above was not good.

Now “it’s been decided” that an A1C of 7.1 and above is not good, but anything under that is “normal.”  I heartily disagree with this POV and approach.

The latest studies have commented on “older patients”, but when you break down “what is older” and WHY they think that they are over-medicated is...OMG, does anyone (including the doctors) have common sense?

The study considers 65 year olds and 85 year olds in the same age group, physically and cognitively. Say what? Noooo. The study also hammers multiple hypoglycemic episodes, including those in T1 patients. IMO T1 and T2 are not, and should not be, treated identically.

So here am I, an “older” T2 under great control with an A1C my previous doctors were ecstatic about, seeing an MD who I swear wants my A1C to be 7! He is coming unglued because it’s “too good” at 5.4. He wants my A1C higher or he wants to eliminate half my meds. I’m appalled by this.

I suspect my A1C will be up next month simply because he lowered my dose of Metformin. He will be happy but I won’t be. If anything gets me to look for another doctor, it will be this issue. I am not in danger of either going low all the time (I wish) or keeling over in a faint because I take too many meds, am forgetful, blah blah. But he chooses to manage my diabetes as if I wasn’t diabetic. I find it creepy, and it affects my confidence in him.

@Moonchilde....in regard to treating Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics the same. I think from what I have read, Type 2 diabetics  dependent upon insulin or sulfonylureas are the target for goals that perhaps someone taking Metformin would not be applicable.

I am not sure if you are taking sulfonylureas with metformin but if you are just taking metformin, I would think any physician should be happy with your low A1C. I can definitely understand your reluctance to run higher. After all is said and done, no matter what some random study says, having an A1C that is "normal" is far healthier than a higher one. You are to be congratulated for your ability to have such good control.