Honored Contributor

Re: Type 2 diabetes doesn't need daily testing?

My Dr .actually offered to lower my metformin dose ,and I told her no

I am not so sure my readings would be as good as they are, if  I only took   1/2 ,of what I am taking now

Honored Contributor

wrote:

My Dr .actually offered to lower my metformin dose ,and I told her no

I am not so sure my readings would be as good as they are, if  I only took   1/2 ,of what I am taking now

That’s my point in my situation, @cherry.  My doctor didn’t “offer”, he told me he was lowering or eliminating one of my two meds, because at 5.4 my A1C was “too good!” And he was genuinely upset about that. And I know my A1C, which I’ve fought hard to keep where it is, will be up with only half as much Metformin as I was taking a year ago. Feh.

I will make one more attempt I think in telling him my POV and my opinion. I suspect if I do that, he’ll agree to keep the dose as it was. I’m not being unreasonable. And if he still balks, new MD here I come.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'm really lucky with my Dr ,she is a sweetheart.  She suggests things ,but the choice is always mine

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11,

I only take Metformin regularly, and I take repaglinide (generic Prandin) with some meals but not all, maybe once or twice a day. It’s short-acting. When I started going to him I was taking 1000 mg of Metformin bid (twice a day). With my move and life change it was bothering my GI tract more than I was happy about. So, we went to 750 mg of ER Metformin bid, which I think was perfect. But he’s now lowered it to 500 mg bid, which is just not enough IMO and I think it’ll show in my A1C.

It annoys me, but I know that many, many GPs/PCPs are having to deal with a deluge of diabetes patients, new info and new drugs all the time, and they just go by the latest thing they read, whether it’s all really applicable or not. So in a sense I shouldn’t expect Everything Diabetes knowledge for all GPs. Half of what he’s basing his decisions on is just not applicable to me; I need to remind him of that.

Honored Contributor

I take 1000 twice a day...It's been my dose since I was first diagnosed  ,its been about 5 years, I guess.  I don' take any other med for diabetes

Honored Contributor

@cherry, I loved my doctor in LA but it took going to that practice and seeing four other doctors over about 10 years before I ended up with “the one” where we just really clicked. 

When I moved, it was to an area that has one huge organized medical network. At the time two family members and a family friends went to this clinic. I had to kind of do eeny meenie and just pick one and hope I didn’t hate him. I don’t hate him, but I don’t super-like him either. He’s “okay doable” but not if the A1C thing keeps up.

Changing within the clinic yeah, but there are something like 25-30 doctors. It would just be a kwap shoot again...