Trusted Contributor

Silee Mae  The Qunol does contain pepper. I remember reading that. So much to know today. 
Thanks for recommending Tru Nature I will look into it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You'll benefit the most from taking the extract form of turmeric. That component is called curcuminoid. The standard concentration is 95%. It will absorb better in the presence of black pepper (piperine) usually combined together into a capsule. A good quality turmeric supp usually contains higher amounts of the extract and is reflected in the higher price point. You want this extract because that is the most bioavailable form of turmeric which will give you the most benefits while taking a minimal amount of it compared to just plain turmeric.

If you have not had a positive experience from taking turmeric then the reason may be because your supp does not contain enough extract. There's a world of a difference between versions of turmeric supps out there. 

Sille, remember last year you and I went thru all of this about turmeric, when I explained it to you about the percentage of curcumin. You then switched from Piping Rock to Vitacost, a lot more money but a lot better product. You still buying the one from Vitacost, I still do. 

Honored Contributor

Hey! @Shelbelle 

Yes I remember that well. I am on my second big bottle of the Vitacost brand.  I told some of my friends about the Vitacost, too, and they are taking it now. It's really good stuff. Thank you so much for recommending it. I was going to give you a shout out here but you beat me to it...lol!   Oh and btw I just started taking the Trunature Verisol collagen after seeing your rec here a while back. I'm anxious to see how it works out for me...fingers crossed.Woman Happy

eta- Lindberg Verisol powder is on sale now at PipingRock...the big size $15.

Respected Contributor

I give our Golden Retriever Curcumin.  (Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.)  The type I bought for her is Dr. Mercola.  The jar says, "Supports a normal immune response."  I read a lot about it before I bought it for her.  She's SO worth it!  ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

Hello @springers 

I take Andrew Lessman's Turmeric, but I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of it to my morning cuppa Joe and a pinch of ground black pepper for best absorbtion.

I thought I'd have to choke it down, but to my surprise it tastes great.

My Java is sweetener free, but I do add half n half to make it palatable.

Back in the day I used to add a teaspoon of black strap molasses to coffee, but I gave it up (for now).

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine who's a retired doctor suggested it for arthritis - she takes it herself - and bought me a bottle of the powder form that she uses.  We have "matching" arthritis issues!  She mixes it with fruit juice.

I prefer to use it as a "spice" when cooking rather than taking it "straight."  I make a lot of curry, and add tumeric to some of my potato/egg breakfast/brunch dishes.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

You'll benefit the most from taking the extract form of turmeric. That component is called curcuminoid. The standard concentration is 95%. It will absorb better in the presence of black pepper (piperine) usually combined together into a capsule. A good quality turmeric supp usually contains higher amounts of the extract and is reflected in the higher price point. You want this extract because that is the most bioavailable form of turmeric which will give you the most benefits while taking a minimal amount of it compared to just plain turmeric.

If you have not had a positive experience from taking turmeric then the reason may be because your supp does not contain enough extract. There's a world of a difference between versions of turmeric supps out there. 

Sille, remember last year you and I went thru all of this about turmeric, when I explained it to you about the percentage of curcumin. You then switched from Piping Rock to Vitacost, a lot more money but a lot better product. You still buying the one from Vitacost, I still do. 

Sillie, we have so much in common, I stil take the Verisol tablets daily, either Puritans Pride brand or TruNature which is Costco's brand, which is caps, so easier to get them  down, but I also recently got the Lindberg from PR tablets, half price so I did buy a 6 month supply of them. I complained to PR that the ingredeint deck on the laberl did not match their website, it has now been corrected.  

Honored Contributor

I have to watch how much turmeric(curcumin) I take. Too much can inhibit the effectiveness of the tamoxifin I take from breast cancer I had.  but having said that, I take a joint supplement that has a few hundred mg and not the thousands of mg that the studies have said weren't good. I eat things with turmeric in it as well. Doesn't give me any upsets at all. I take it in capsule or tablet form. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shelbelle 

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I needed to ask you about the Vitacost turmeric. Have you tried to find it lately? I can't find it and I emailed them to ask them about what happened to it? Do you know anything?

ETA - I've emailed them twice already and have not heard back.

Honored Contributor

Take a look at pure by nature, on amazon.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.