Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Good Morning!

The one thing that stands out to me is, more vegetables, more fiber.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Thank you.  I do have a struggle with vegetables.

I really love potatoes

@AngelPuppy1 

Potatoes are a weight-loss dream!

Satiating, low in calories, tons of fiber, comfort food!

The book, The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall

will show you exactly how to eat potatoes,

the food you love💛, in a healthy way while

losing weight.  It’s so easy!

@sidsmom 

Oh, well - that would be wonderful!!!  Sounds like my kind of book!!! Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

Try something you’ve never done before!

1.  Focus on calorie density, eating 100-600 calories/lb foods.

2.  Track 30-50 grams of fiber/day

3.  Track up to 25 grams of fat/day

Fact: Humans Eat 3-5 pounds of food a day.

The lower the calorie density, the more food you can have,

the more fiber you’re getting and the less fat you need.

Try it!

9860A356-5979-4D08-96AE-2B1E80B17AC5.jpeg

@sidsmom 

Don't think I have ever seen this before.  Very intereting and something to consider.Thank you for posting this!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 , hi!  I don't love vegetables, either.  I've found that I do enjoy a 40 oz smoothie made from frozen veg and a bit of fruit and milk, and fresh mint if I've got it*.  I have a big salad at night, with a hefty base of romaine and in-season things (with feta and hard boiled egg).

That's how I get my veggies.  I hate them cooked.  Gag.

* the Ninja Storm is the only blender I've found that'll power through any amount of frozen produce.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

That's a good way to get your vegetables!  Plain vegetables --- blah!  Thanks so much for this interesting suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

How sweet of you to take the time to response to every person who has the best intentions to help you with this weight issue.

As I was listening to some You Tube videos yesterday, I thought of you and your receptivity to make this challenge work for you.  A couple of videos came to mind as well as a comment you made.  "I love potatoes"....yea! that's a good thing.  Potatoes can easily be a part of your weight loss plan.  Also, there is a video by Doug Lisle that might surprise you on why we are unable to lose the weight and what to do about it....How to Lose Weight Without Going Crazy. He will discuss the real reason why you continue to eat when you are not hungry.  Some of his facts might surprise you.  

You mentioned your husband and not wanting to go different directions.  Is he willing to support you and maybe get some ideas with you throughout this process.  If so, The Krocks in the Kitchen might be fun to watch together.  They tried everything to lose weight (they even made a video about all the things they tried).  More importantly, they show you what they have been doing that has finally worked and is their lifestyle now as a result.  They show you an example of what they do eat daily and it does not involve restriction.  He started at over 500 pounds and she was over 200 pounds.  Their videos are fun and informative.  What they are doing has worked and they are not hungry, but much healthier. (Their Smokey Humus recipe is a staple in my home - yummy and oil free!)  Another couple who has made healthy weight an integral part of their journey is High Carb Hannah.  She and her husband live in a tiny house and she shows you the recipes and lifestyle changes they made on her path to weight loss.  I really enjoy her recipes and check out her Corn Chowder soup.....so good!  They also show you how they eat if going to a restaurant. This loving supportive couple might give you and your husband some positive direction.  All the best in this weight loss journey, hoping you let us know where you go with it and your success!

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you so much for all of this and the time you took to post it!  I am so appreciative of it and appreciative of everyone.  I will look into these things and keep an open mind and am sure I will learn some things which I can use!!!  

Honored Contributor

I hope I have replied to everyone, if I have missed anyone, it was not intentional!  I am so appreciative of everyone's tips, suggestions and information.  It's very kind and I can't thank you all enough!  I have gotten so many new ideas that I am sorting through and many things have hit home and many other things which I did not know or even thought of.  I have more enthusiasm now than ever and feel more confident that I can and will do this!  Thanks again, everyone!  

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I just came back to this thread. I am sorry it took me so long to respond. I gained 40 pounds over 4 1/2 years taking care of my elderly mom. I was housebound with her and there seemed to always be a medical crisis. I was stressed and depressed. I did a modified Weight Watchers. I was a member for years and had old books. There is a Facebook group called Bernie and Judy Living and Losing with Points. It's wonderful! Most of the members follow the old PointPlus Weight Watchers plan. They post pictures of their food and you wouldn't believe what they eat. It's a great group and very supportive. I basically measured all starchy food, no more than 1/2 cup. Meat no bigger than the palm of my hand without fingers. I gave up cheese and my beloved peanut butter. Bread was limited to a slice a day. Fat free salad dressing and Butter Buds instead of butter. I lose slowly so I knew taking off 40 pounds would be a challenge. I gave myself a year. Lost 50 pounds in 11 months. Trying to lose 5 more but I have plateau again. I did not exercise other than walking. I have back problems and have to be very careful. Leslie Sansone exercises are low impact. You might enjoy her exercises. If you only have 15 pounds to lose, I would give myself 3 -4 months. Good luck! 

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 , hi!  I don't love vegetables, either.  I've found that I do enjoy a 40 oz smoothie made from frozen veg and a bit of fruit and milk, and fresh mint if I've got it*.  I have a big salad at night, with a hefty base of romaine and in-season things (with feta and hard boiled egg).

* the Ninja Storm is the only blender I've found that'll power through any amount of frozen produce.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

That's a good way to get your vegetables!  Plain vegetables --- blah!  Thanks so much for this interesting suggestion!

I'm anti veggie myself unless smotherd in fattening stuff. If makes it super hard so I feel your pain. So jealous of people that can just chomp on carrots as a snack. That's just crazy talk to me. How do they not need dip??!!

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I just came back to this thread. I am sorry it took me so long to respond. I gained 40 pounds over 4 1/2 years taking care of my elderly mom. I was housebound with her and there seemed to always be a medical crisis. I was stressed and depressed. I did a modified Weight Watchers. I was a member for years and had old books. There is a Facebook group called Bernie and Judy Living and Losing with Points. It's wonderful! Most of the members follow the old PointPlus Weight Watchers plan. They post pictures of their food and you wouldn't believe what they eat. It's a great group and very supportive. I basically measured all starchy food, no more than 1/2 cup. Meat no bigger than the palm of my hand without fingers. I gave up cheese and my beloved peanut butter. Bread was limited to a slice a day. Fat free salad dressing and Butter Buds instead of butter. I lose slowly so I knew taking off 40 pounds would be a challenge. I gave myself a year. Lost 50 pounds in 11 months. Trying to lose 5 more but I have plateau again. I did not exercise other than walking. I have back problems and have to be very careful. Leslie Sansone exercises are low impact. You might enjoy her exercises. If you only have 15 pounds to lose, I would give myself 3 -4 months. Good luck! 

@texassunflower 

Thank you for your post and your support!  I have been going up and down.  Congratulations on your successful weight loss!  It's not an easy thing!

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia 

I'm anti veggie myself unless smotherd in fattening stuff. If makes it super hard so I feel your pain. So jealous of people that can just chomp on carrots as a snack. That's just crazy talk to me. How do they not need dip??!!

@pigletsmom 

Yes, I know!  Dip or some kind of sauce!  LOL!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have heard that you should never use the word "diet" when you are trying to lose weight!  It has such a negative connotation.  Well, I am trying to "diet", "modify my eating  habits", "eat less", "eat healthier", or whatever you want to call it, but I seem to be struggling and I don't feel like I am getting much of any where! 

I haven't "dieted" in many years.  In my younger years, I was no stranger to diets, having gone on just about every known diet at the time, including, total starvation (pretty much), cabbage soup diet, no carbs, weight watchers, jenny craig, l.a. weight loss, etc. --- all with varying degrees of success.  

I was at the weight I wanted to be for a long time but after recently retiring, put on quite a few pounds.  When I retired, I really retired!  Any how, I put the brakes on and decided --- enough is enough.  

I don't want to go on any set plan or special diet, but what I want to ask of you all here is what tips and things work for you when trying to lose some weight?

What I have been doing is this:  

Eat a regular breakfast consisting of a small bowl of oats, banana and coffee with dash of low fat cream

No lunch or snack

Dinner-- normal dinner with a meat - perhaps chicken, steak, pork, vegetable, small salad and mixed fruit bowl - occasionally a starch

No snack 

Once a week I allow myself a piece of cake or scoop or icecream

Should I be having snacks??

Does this seem like a decent way to eat to lose weight?

Also, do you weigh yourself daily or once a week?

DH says I should weight myself every day, as he does.  When I do this, I tend to get disgusted if I don't lose or go up and then get discouraged.  I think I might do better if I would do once a week, maybe this is not being diligent enough though.

I do walk pretty much daily for at least an hour, maybe more.  So far, I haven't been able to do other exercises but have been doing yard work and other chores.

I have lost a bit of weight but seem to be stuck and some days go up a bit.  Do you have any advice or tips for me before I get discouraged and quit??

Sorry this is so long!!

I appreciate your support and help! 

(By the way, I don't have a ton to lose --- approximately 15 lbs)

Thanks!!

What is really helpful to me, no matter what I eat, is keeping track of what I eat. It can be surprising how many calories are in things and it can also surprise you how little activity you can be getting. For your plan, you might want to use the free app called MYFITNESSPAL. This will help you stay organized, focused, and know more about your progress. The only negative with this plan is that it doesn’t help with people that have almost no mobility, but since you are walking, this wouldn’t be an issue for you. You can use an analogy between keeping track of your food and activity and keeping track of how much money up you spend from your bank account.