Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trying to Calm my Virus Fears

@PhilaLady1 

@PhilaLady1 wrote:

I am doing everything we are supposed to do, like hand washing, not touching my face, etc.  I am almost 62, my immune system is weaker than it used to be when I was a younger person, but I am otherwise in general good health.  The reason I am kind of freaking out, and then trying to calm myself, and this happens in constant cycles of high level anxiousness to forcing my self to relax, is that I work full time.  In fact, as soon as I'm done typing this, I need to get back to work so I apologize if you reply back with any comments and I do not respond, at least not right away.

Here is my issue - I MUST work.  I do not have a choice to stay at home. To get to work, I take 2 forms of crowded big city public transportation, bus & elevated train/subway combo.  Total time 2 hours a day, five days a week, sitting thigh to thigh with someone and people standing all around me, sometimes really jammed together. Can't work from home.  All I can do is try not to get to panic level, and do not touch anything, and force mysef to realize that I can not do anything about this so what will be, will be - it is out of my hands.  Thanks for hearing me out on this. I feel better just by writing this out and telling you.

I feel your panic.  I,m 84,, in excellent health, and able to stay home, but still scared to go out.  I am doing all the proper things.  Other than that, what will be, will be, be.  I have always had faith in God and that is what is keeping me sane.  I hope you stay safe and well. I,m praying for everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@heart of savino 

@heart of savino wrote:

If you get gas for your car make sure you go to a station which someone fills up your tank.dont touch the gas hose yourself.

I got gas a couple of weeks ago, but sprayed the holder, and used clorex wipes.  Now wearing gloves.

Honored Contributor

I know this has to be very difficult for you having to be in the crowded environments every day.  This would frighten me more than anything else.  Just keep doing the prescribed things --- hand wishing, perhaps wearing gloves, etc.  I pray a lot --- that's what keeps me going!  My best wishes --- stay strong!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@hckynut It's at the gas station associated with our grocery store called Harris Teeter.  I will admit, when the gas station opened a couple of years ago, I chuckled when I saw the mitts thinking, really who needs those?  I guess I got my answer!

Honored Contributor

Hey @FastDogWalker2 ,

Maybe others will follow. Who likes pumping gas and then going someplace? Those fumes must absorb into my body, not just my hands. Smart people those Teeter's! 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

We have 2 gas stations that are privately owned in our town that still pump gas for you. I would be SOL if I had to pump my own gas, I have never done it and I'm pushing 70. I still worked when my husband had his hip surgery and had no one to fill my car up. I had to ask a friend from work to take my car and fill it up, my friend thought I was kidding.

May I ask why you couldn't do this?   Disability...or?

@september  I know it's stupid and silly, but I always had some male, dad, brother, boyfriend or husband who took care of my car and I just never had to do it. When I still lived at home my brother would wash and detail my car and filler up. I went from my father's house to my husbands house and the madness continued.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Try and wipe down things as best you can, even if it just a tissue, when you are on public transportation, from what I am seeing every day on tv, the cities are doing a good job sanitizing the bus train systems; you may be riding in systems that are cleaner now than ever before. You can also hold a tissue over your nose and mouth while on a train or bus if you feel you have to be too close to anyone. Keep your spirits up and really try and relax, as hard as that can be. Blessings and best of health to you.🤗
Esteemed Contributor

I am fortunate today that I have been an independent woman all my adult life.  Even as a teen.  All my husband's have died years ago.  I made sure I learned from each how to repair things.

I never wanted to depend on anyone. Control issue.  It turned out to be a godsend at age 84.  I pump my own gas, still clean my own car and do all my yardwork, front and back.  

I have two sons and they are happy I am self sufficient.  I,m not calling for help all the time.

I feel every man and woman should be happy together in marriage or partnership, but learn what the other does, so if one is gone for what ever reason, the other one is not left helpless.  Togetherness is great, but a day comes when you might be without help.

my friend who was married 60 odd years  is lost.  She depended on her husband for everthing.   

Valued Contributor

For  you new yorkers who want attendants tp pump your gas comre to DOUGLASTON LITTLE NECK BAYSIDE AREA.there are more than 5 to 10 stations which only have attendants for the last 50 years.

by the way just went to shop and stop 6am in morning and lines to get in.probaly an hour wait all over.food getting  very low and  NO TIOLET PAPER  left. its getting bad out there. 

Respected Contributor

what about wearing winter or nubby type gloves to pump your own gas?