Respected Contributor

Trying to Avoid Total Knee Replacement

Has anyone tried laser therapy for arthritic knees? Also, has anyone had makoplasty (partial robotic knee replacement)? I'm trying to avoid total knee replacement for both knees!

Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to Avoid Total Knee Replacement

Respected Contributor

I live in a three-story house, don't have anyone to take care of me, and am too old for major surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/31/2014 hckynut said:

Why?

Because keeping one's own body parts in good working order is far better than anything science can invent?

Every surgery procedure has it's own risks.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of laser therapy for arthritic knees. My knees are in pretty bad shape. I'll have to do some googling.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

makoplasty can only be done if only part of the joint - the inner side where the tibia is , is affected. I had a makoplasty to both knees 2 years ago and it went very well. However, if your entire joint is affected then you need the total replacement. It is not something you get to choose - it is a matter of the condition of the joint.

Honored Contributor

On 10/31/2014 hckynut said:

Why?

John, many times on this BB I try to figure out why anyone would prefer to be in constant pain when there is a surgical solution - but yet , many do seem to prefer to live like that. How often here you read about people who won't have back surgery, or a joint replaced. To each their own.

Super Contributor

If you're living in pain, either you like it or haven't figured out a way to get it fixed. The longer you put it off, the older you're getting and won't be able to bounce back as quickly or as completely. If your MD tells you that you need a replacement, then figure out a way to do it and round up a support group to help you. There are lots of good people who are willing to help if you just ask. I did it for a friend and was only too happy to be able to help. You don't always need family to help; friends and neighbors are willing to help too. Just ask.

Super Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Fortune said:

I live in a three-story house, don't have anyone to take care of me, and am too old for major surgery.

You can stay in a care facility until you can go home. Many people do this. Did your doctor tell you you were too old for this surgery? People 80 years old have knee replacement. They do all kinds of tests to make sure you are healthy enough prior to surgery.
Esteemed Contributor

Your situation sounds like mine, except it is my hips. For me part of the solution is going to have to be a move out of the 3 stories. Could it be that you would be more comfortable with a different living arrangement regardless of the option you choose?