Regular Contributor

Re: Trying to Avoid Total Knee Replacement

After several years of not walking due to severe pain, I overcame my fear and began to research solutions. My issue was my hips, both sides and both " bone on bone", very painful. The pain caused my thinking to get unstable. I knew I needed real information from informed people. I discovered the "joint camp" at the Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pa. It is run by the Guthrie Clinic and works with both knees & hips. You meet ahead of time with the staff and it is run very similar to a camp. You need to have someone to go with you. The Drs. do hips on Monday, usually 5 and knees on Tuesday. You have a private room with sleeping available for your helper. You eat together, go to PT, OT and the Dr. together. It's a big commitment. You also get your home ready in your spare time or arrange for an alternate place for the next couple of weeks. My insurance covered it all. At the end of the week, you graduate, have a big camp party and diploma. Sounds hokey, but the companionship with other campers and support from the rest of the campers is just excellent. I was positive that I was not going to have surgery and be crippled for the rest of my life. When I finally made up my mind to be responsible for my decisions, it made research easier and a final decision was made. Good luck to you, whatever you do but research your options and choose skillfully for the best option available to you. I hope & pray that all goes well and with knowledgeable info gathered, you will choose wisely and do well.