Respected Contributor

Re: Traumatic aortic rupture.. I found this info interesting

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SeaMaiden  anyone who smokes I don't consider "healthy".  Possibly a source to his heart issues. 

@hoosieroriginal  Yes....many factors contribute to our overall health....THAT saying genetically some just have a weakness towards disease where others who smoke and eat wrong etc live long lives. To pin point smoking as to his demise would be hard to do as so many things  and a combination of things might have caused it. Some people are just genetically ticking time bombs  for  this sickness...you have this weakness in the artery  your whole life and you never know that you do. And you just drop dead one day. 

@SeaMaiden - I think older people should get checked for aortic aneuryms - they are a ticking timebomb.  But I do think every day you smoke damages your heart and lungs. 

Valued Contributor

My husband died of the exact same happening in 2014 with no previous symptoms. He did suffer from bronchitis many times with many antibiotics. A very traumatic ending of our 42 yr marriage. I will never get over the suddenness. The ER doctors said it was a phenom. 

Trusted Contributor

My father had an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  His brother and brothers son had the same. I have heard it can be genetic.  I was tested and do not have it.  If it runs in your family please get tested.  My fathers never got large enough to operate. His brother had aortic surgery, then developed leukemia and passed.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to post the information.  My husband just stood up and dropped dead.  He was very healthy and didn't take any medicine.

They never found out what he died from.  I always tell people 'blink your eyes'.  That's how quickly my life changed when my husband dropped dead in front of me.  Crazy how your life can change in a blink.

Respected Contributor

Aren't people with Marfan Syndrome prone to this happening to them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

It's easy to blame it on a drug or some other reason

but the fact is...Alan Thicke was CLEARLY not healthy.

He smoked. He indicated via Twitter his diet was bad.

Heart Disease doesn't happen overnight.

Unfortunately he didn't take his health/lifestyle seriously

and...paid the ultimate price. 

No doubt smoking is bad for anyone.  However, in the medical field we differentiate between an aortic aneurysm and heart disease.  They are not the same thing.  Heart disease is usually considered coronary artery disease or some type of situation that leads to left ventricular dysfunction. Both are totally different than an aortic aneurysm.

An aneurysm is a ballooning of a blood vessel, which is totally different than coronary artery disease in which the lumen of a coronary artery becomes too narrow to provide enough blood supply to the heart. 

In this case the wall of the aneurysm bursts or dissects which leaks arterial blood out into either the chest or abdominal cavity, depending on where the dissection occurs. 

The initial results of the research do not establish cause and effect, but do warrant further study.  Most docs are aware of this and take it into consideration.  But sometimes docs are between a rock and a hard place without having much choice of prescribing one of the antibiotics in this class of medications. 

But aortic aneurysms are not necessarily uncommon, dissection is not really that uncommon.  The larger the aneurysm, the greater the chance of dissection.  I believe they are doing research to classify the size of the aneursym at the time of dissection and compare to those taking the antiobiotics and those that didn't take the any of this class of antibiotics.  That will lend much more specific information and either support a link of cause and effect, or not.  If people receiving Levaquin for example tend to have dissections at smaller sizes, that would provide stronger evidence of cause and effect.  In the meantime, most people that need the antibiotic may very well be at greater risk of sepsis if they don't receive antibiotics in this classification. 

This is direct quote from one of the authors of this study, ".Although our results cannot establish cause and effect, it is not likely that more detailed information on a larger population at relatively high-risk of aortic aneurysm or dissection will be available in the immediate future.   Given the global burden of aortic aneurysm and dissection and the growing use of fluoroquinolones worldwide, well-designed studies in other populations, especially high-risk populations, should be conducted to validate our findings".

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

In reference to above , My dad smoked and had very high cholesterol.

cathy from ma

My MIL smoked and had high blood pressure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

John, I have quite a few autoimmune issues besides RA.  I take two meds for them, prednisone for the AIs, and Synthroid (for Hashimoto's).  I do not take any med I see "pushed" on TV.  However, if I come down with something, as I did a virus three days after Thanksgiving, I also read (with a magnifier) everything said about the med (this time, a Zpak) and it's seldom that I don't see "and death" near the end of the warnings.  I believe that's purposeful by the drug companies since the Feds make them disclose everything . . . it's their way of suggesting everything has the same risk to lull folks into thinking it doesn't mean much.  [My opinion only.]

Second, I fear sepsis and MRSA infections far more than I fear any surgery, especially heart-related surgeries.  My ex sister-in-law died four days after a successful valve replacement . . . from MRSA.

Third, my IT daughter knows a lot about ERs, as she works there so often.  She works for a conglomerate, so she can be in one of six hospitals at any time.  The bacteria is in the tubes and IVs used during surgery, so the OR is the most dangerous place to be in any hospital.  Some hospitals keep them clean, many don't.  I would much rather die naturally, than from some hospital-acquired infection.  This information has been made public just recently, so you may have seen it.

Fourth, I have endoscopies regularly (every six months to a year) for chronic (and rare) gastric issues, and I always ask him to check out my aorta while he's in there.  So far, so good.

As you have often said and I agree, our health issues are up to us as our own advocates, as we are simply another body to most doctors (I totally understand this).  And that attitude increases the older the patient is.  Therefore, no more surgeries or invasive testing for me, no matter what's wrong.  If it's my time, it's my time.  I've lived a long life.

Both my beloved mother and sister died from smoking . . . my mom at age 49, my sister at age 72 (she had been smoking for 60 years).  My mom from lung cancer and my sister from colon cancer metastasized to both of her lungs, 5 cmm masses in both of them.  My sister also drank a lot of beer every day.  She weighed less than 60 pounds when she died, and typically, smoked out on the hospice terrace the day before she went into her final coma. 

By the time my ex-husband died this past January, he had stopped smoking, but only after two heart attacks and countless strokes and TIAs.  He was 82.

[So after all of that upbeat information, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you.]  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

My father had an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  His brother and brothers son had the same. I have heard it can be genetic.  I was tested and do not have it.  If it runs in your family please get tested.  My fathers never got large enough to operate. His brother had aortic surgery, then developed leukemia and passed.  

@Dawnie  I did not know that. Lost my grandfather to this but always assumed it was because of other things in his personal health history.  Thank you for teaching me something new.  Heart  

New Contributor

I read the forums everyday but very rarely post, but this subject was something I needed to talk about. Last year during a cath for a heart problem, the Drs found 3 aortic aneurysms.  All of them were passed the 5 centimeter mark.  I had surgery at a university hospital and was there for 3 weeks.  They replaced my complete aorta with a dacron aorta.  This surgery saved my life but has left me disabled due to nerve damage.  Eventually I may regain some of it and have had 8 weeks of therapy.  It has been 17 months since the surgery and I still need to use a walker and/or cane.  Please be checked for these especially if they run in the family as mine did.