Honored Contributor

My mom is 84 ,been having hip pain, they first thought it was one thing,she saw a orthopedic doctor,over week end they did x rays, could not find anything that might cause this, they say it is acute back pain,put her on tramadol,i have researched this drug ,so what i want to know any one have side effects of this drug?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Nausea is a fairly common side effect. It usually goes away after continued use.

Trusted Contributor

Was on tramadol following both my knee replacements.  No, I did not have any side effects, thankfully, and it did the job.  

Honored Contributor

I have had this prescribed by two Doctors and once by my Dentist.  It is like taking a sip of lukewarm water for any type of pain.  Constipation is a big problem with it. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor
I took this drug for 2 months prior to my first knee surgery; 50 mg 4x a day. It worked very well to relieve my pain and discomfort, helping me to be in better shape mentally for my surgery. Some days I only needed 3 pills, not 4.

I experienced no side effects from this drug. However, this type of medication can have an exaggerated effect on an elderly patient. I would expect a lower dose prescription (50 mg 2x a day) for someone over 80. I would have concerns if the prescription was higher than that.
Honored Contributor

My doctor prescribed this drug to replaced a NSAID I had taken for years.  After my second dose, I became so dizzy, I fell, the when I laid down my heart was pounding.  Really frightened me so I never took another dose.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have been on Tramadol for quite a number of years, before it was classified as a narcotic. I can take 1 every 8 hours but I only do that when I have severe pain. In that case, until I am used to taking 3 per day, I get very sleepy. If I take 1 a day, I do OK and it helps control the pain especially if I use tylenol with it. Be careful because some tramadol is already combined with tylenol and you don't want to overdose on tylenol. All in all, it has been a good pain reliever for me. I have known people who have experienced dizzy or fainting type sensations from it but I never had. 

Esteemed Contributor

I experienced no side effects but everyone is different.  Your mother may experience side effects.

Honored Contributor

As a common side effect is dizziness, I would be very cautious about giving it to an 84 year old patient whose steadiness is already compromised (hip pain).

Tramadol is looked at by many as a rather benign pain controller, but it has a number of side effects,can be addictive(even when taken as directed), and long term side effects are very concerning.  

Esteemed Contributor

Did nothing for me but made me feel nauseous. Can´t take Percoset and Vicodan either. Have the same problem.

Tramadol worked for my husband without having any problems.