Trusted Contributor

My elderly mother was prescribed it for a back injury. It really messed with her brain and we took her off of it ASAP.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest @chickenbutt 

many years ago, my neurologist rx'd tramadol to help with migraines.

I remember him saying how grateful doctors were for a new, non-addictive pain killer for their patients.

Next, I remember my different neurologist (10 years ago) shaking his head "no." 
'He told me I was not allowed to take ANYTHING for migraines, not even Excedrin!

I had no symptoms THAT I KNOW OF from stopping this, but who knows?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 That is right about Tramadol years ago, it was a non-opiod and was not supposed to be addictive. It was an alternative to opiods and that was back many years ago in the 1990's. as a RN, I thought it was great. I started taking it in 2002 or so when it was still not restricted. I have it for pain, I don't take it for much but it does help me if I am in severe pain but works best if I take Tylenol with it. 

Honored Contributor

She has been on this for 4 days ,she is not having any relief from the pain,  we think she needs to go to hospital,be admitted and have test ran, this taking meds,and waiting ,then not working is getting old, she had x rays ,showed nothing, so we will see what is next.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Pain sourced from nerves is harder to treat than musculoskeletal pain. When I ruptured a disc in my back, the sciatic nerve was pain was tremendous and tramadol didn’t help it. But I didn’t have any real side effects either.  

For my nerve pain (shingles pain travels through nerves), the only thing that worked for me was gabapentin, a drug designed for nerve pain. 

I hope she feels better soon. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbestGabapentin and pregabalin work very well for neuralgia if her pain is neuropathic. These anticonvulsant drugs block the neurotransmitters and do quite well for that type of pain. @Skyegirl21 is absolutely correct and there is a lot of literature behind that even though they are usually prescribed for seizure activity.

You might want to ask if she is a candidate for those. They can affect renal function so if she has kidney issues they may be out but worth the question. I hope she and you find answers soon. ♥️

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

My elderly mother was prescribed it for a back injury. It really messed with her brain and we took her off of it ASAP.

The same with my mom. She had very minor issues with dementia prior to taking it, but on Tramadol her symptoms increased dramatically. Tylenol 3 was a much better option for her pain control. There was no mental change with that, but massive changes with the Tramadol.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Laura14   I am just so happy to see you posting again.  You are always in my thoughts for some reason. I think I adopted you whether you wanted it or not.Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My elderly mother took it for severe back pain with no side effects.  

She needed an mri to find the source of the back pain, fyi.  Seniors are at risk for spontaneous fractures.

Valued Contributor

Recently, I took it for a couple of nights so I could sleep as I was having severe pain in my muscles (long story).  About the third night, I was itching all night long so I never took it again.