Honored Contributor

Re: Total gym OR pilates machine ?

@Julie_23 wrote:

Thank you so much, @kaiwahini and @hckynutjohn, for having taken the time to write back such helpful answers.  I definitely learned things from both of your replies!

Please know I really appreciate it.  Thanks again.

@Julie_23 

Do you want it for strength building or ... to stay limber and toned  ....   and will someone else like a husband, also be using it?

Years ago, I had both and used both.  Finally I sold the TG and kept the Pilates, which I still use several times a week.  I would never give up my Pilates!  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

PLEASE save your money!! Just go take a walk!! I'm an avid walker. I've lost 70 lbs. and plan on keeping it off. My dh and I walk twice a day clocking over 5 miles a day. It's a wonderful exercise. Peace and quiet, out in the fresh air, seeing wildlife. I can't say enough about walking, which is free.  

@ID2 

Apples and oranges comparison.  While walking is certainly good exercise, you will never get the muscle tone from that that a Pilates machine can give you.  Depends what you want ... and depends on the climate you live in.

Respected Contributor

@ID2 

As someone who used to live in the upper Midwest, I couldn't go walking outside in the winter.
The temps were below zero and windy, and the sidewalks were covered with ice and snow. 
In the winter, we used our treadmill, total gym and elliptical. 

Valued Contributor

Wow, everybody, thank you for ALL of your replies --- I really appreciate it !!

I'm glad I asked.  Your input was very helpful.

--- MANY THANKS TO EACH ONE OF YOU ---

Valued Contributor

What are your favorite exercises or exercise routines that you do on your Reformer? Thanks, I need to get back on mine when the weather is not good for walking. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie 

At this point, I do the basics for leg work and I do the ab work (3 rounds of the 100 in between the leg work).

Legs on bar - 2 to 3 sets - for a 15 count for each position

--Pointed toes

******Legs together

******Legs farther apart

--Lowered heel (toes gripping bar, heel is lowered)

******Legs together

******Legs farther apart

Legs in straps - lifting high for two sets, keeping lower for two sets of each - for a 15 count for each position

--Pointed toes 

******Legs together

******Legs farther apart

******Frog legs 

Using rebounder - bouncing in middle of rebounder for two rounds, bouncing lower for two rounds of each - for a 15 count for each position

--Pointed toes 

******Legs together

******Legs farther apart

******Frog legs 

Hope this makes sense. I really just do the basic moves for my legs. I don't do the arm work on Pilates ... I use rowing maching or free weights.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."