Contributor

Would like to know anyone's experience with this.  My Orthopaedic Surgeon suspects I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  Went to the emergency room last Wednesday night because the pain was so severe.  Am now scheduled for an MRI next Monday.  Have been taking some heavy duty pain killers trying to keep the pain at bay.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@Jazzygurl  Hi. I had a MRI done in my right shoulder last winter.  I have a  bad tear in my tendon in the shoulder.  I could/ should have surgery....but I have had all my hip and knee joints replaced over the past three years and could not fathom having more surgery.....8 weeks of not using my arm......No Way! So I will live with the pain as long as I can. It can happen just from wear and tear.....also from arthritis. I have OA all over my body including my spine. Pain is just a part of my day to day life.  Thank God I had my knees and hips replaced so I can at least walk without crutches and have some kind of a life again.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Torn Rotator Cuff

[ Edited ]

I tore mine grabbing a post while riding my bike in mud and had a medium tear. My ortho took both of my hands and straightened my arms  out at  my waist and let them go. The torn arm dropped, he said if I didn't get the surgery I would not be lifting my arm again. 

As much as I hate surgery - it had to be done and now it's better than my other arm.

It' a scary thought to have surgery but you will be okay it has to be done.

After the MRI everyone will know what's necessary, if you have a doctor you are happy with that more than half the battle.

Honored Contributor

@Jazzygurl wrote:

Would like to know anyone's experience with this.  My Orthopaedic Surgeon suspects I have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  Went to the emergency room last Wednesday night because the pain was so severe.  Am now scheduled for an MRI next Monday.  Have been taking some heavy duty pain killers trying to keep the pain at bay.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

@Jazzygurl

Have torn my Right rotator cuff 2 different times, several years apart, both times after I was well over 50 years old. Had an MRI done from my friend that is a Sports Med Orthopod that specializes in shoulders/hips and knees.

Said I could probably get by without surgery depending on the results after 6 weeks of Physical Therapy. At that time I also was taking a therapeutic dose of Ibuprofen. He was happy with my range of motion and rotation and said I would not need the surgery?

Did spend 15-20 minutes 3 times a day doing specific exercises for that shoulder. Actually, I decided to do pretty much the same for both shoulders. It sure helped give me more strength and rotation in my non-injured shoulder?

My PT said it is not uncommon for rotator cuff issues once you are over 50 years old, regardless of your job or hobbies. The 2nd one was not as severe as the first one, but he attributed that to my continuing doing the exercises since the original injury.

While it was uncomfortable most of those days, as long as I was aware of what movements aggregated the injury, I did my best to avoid them, but we do get in certain habits and it ain't as easy as it sounds?

Gotta be optimistic now, as my doctor friend told me it has to be a pretty severe tear before he would go right to surgery. MRI pretty easy compared to the many I have had on my spine. I wouldn't get too concerned of that procedure if you have never had one.

Hope all works out well for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Jazzygurl - Ouch, I feel your pain - I went through this about 5 years ago - torn rotator cuff, torn tendons - surgery it was - my right shoulder and I'm right-handed - um, no easy way to put this, but what a PIA - if you decide on have surgery, I had no choice, get some yoga type pants that are pull up and a coupon of big tees or shirts - its a little tough the first couple of weeks to figure everything out. Good Luck - Riley1

Respected Contributor

Had a tear about 6 years ago.  Never had surgery.  6 weeks of PT on two different occasions, an injection of cortisone on three occasions in the six years.  The initial pain of the tear is long gone.  When orthopedist told me only a 60% chance of a good result, I decided to forego the surgery and have never been sorry.

I would think a younger person would go ahead with the surgery because of the longer work life ahead of them and the need for a fully functioning shoulder and better chance of a good result.

Honored Contributor

Decades ago I had both rotator cuffs torn.    For a while, I got cortisone shots but, as we probably all know, at some point that will lose efficacy.  

Anyway, I never had surgery or anything either.  I just got used to it and, to this day, I have pains here and there but I learned to be really careful with certain actions that will aggravate that area.