Valued Contributor

During this Pandemic I had 3 teethe pulled and 2 implants and I tought I was finished. Visited my dentist last week and I need another tooth pulled. i knew it was going to be pulled,but he thought it could be saved..Well, Tuesday the 29th back to the dentist for the extraction. I have an anxiety problem.Not all the time,but when I need extensive dental work,I am a bit nervous. I take something to calm me so I can relax and let him do his MAGIC!. My dentist does everything. He pulls teeth and does implants and root canals and anything you need done, That's why a love him,besides he makes me feel so confident that I am in good hands. Even when he told me he had to pull all my top teeth on one side, I started to cry and he assured me that he would fix it all and he did. It's very important that you feel comfortable with your dentist.Also, I only see him for everything so he really knows me and all my craziness..that's very important to me

Honored Contributor

I do so feel for all of you with tooth issues!  I have had them too.

My favorite dentist (they keep getting old and retiring and passing!) would laugh with me because the first thing I said to him was "Get the BIG chicken sticker out and put it on my file!"

So he would always say "Let's see. . . yep the big chicken sticker is on the file!  Should I take it off now?" And I'd laugh and say "No!  Put another one on with it!"

And those of us who are "like that" really feel for the rest of us out there!  

Super Contributor

I guess I was lucky I had a wisdom tooth removed.... I was numbed....the tooth came out easily and fast..... I was so surprised...." I said its out already!!"and I'm ...78 years old 

Honored Contributor

@ImABoor    Thanks for the tip.  I have 4 more teeth coming out in a month.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am not having Implants because of the cost and my age.  I am 71, why should I put out all that money at this stage of the game?  A partial will do just fine.  Thank you all for your well wishes.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Extracted

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am not having Implants because of the cost and my age.  I am 71, why should I put out all that money at this stage of the game?  A partial will do just fine.  Thank you all for your well wishes.

@Katcat1 

I'm 65 and I thought at my age it would be dentures or partials for me. But my doctor said because of the scleroderma, my mouth is too small and there isn't room enough for any type of prosthetic. I would be fighting the dentures or partials just to keep them in my mouth. So it's either implants or go toothless. Scleroderma is causing my teeth to get loose and many have fallen out on their own. It's shocking really. I had no idea scleroderma could do that.

I agree, it is a huge expense. But I feel I don't have a choice and staying healthy by eating good food requires having teeth.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tooth Extracted

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I never had a tooth extracted until a couple of days ago when I had SIX removed and implants put in right after that. I have grafts and stitches all over my gums.I was in surgery for over five hours. It was one of the worst things I have ever been through in my life. I have scleroderma and my lips do not stretch so my mouth doesn't open like normal. They had to stretch my lips to get inside my mouth and it felt like they were going to rip apart. I can hardly talk or move my mouth right now. Pain killers are barely working. I'm not in a good place right now. I go back tomorrow for a post-op exam and I'm going to ask for something better for my pain. 

@SilleeMee ...Wow, I'm so sorry for what you are going through...What I am so surprised at is the fact that you had everything done in just one visit...six teeth removed...bone grafting...and implants...Usually, this is done in stages... teeth are pulled and bone grafting is done and then it takes time for the area to properly heal and for the bone grafting to fuse and take hold properly before the implants are put in...Problems can arise with each of the above procedures.

My periodontist would never do this all at once...I certainly hope that you can find some relief for the discomfort you are understandably going through.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove 
It's complicated. Some of the grafts were put in w/o an implant while other implants were put in with a graft plus membranes with my plasma. Some of the grafts will need more time before implants go in those. Not a simple procedure.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1 

I'm about your age and feel the same way.  If it had happened a few years ago, then I would have considered other options.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@MyShadowLove 
It's complicated. Some of the grafts were put in w/o an implant while other implants were put in with a graft plus membranes with my plasma. Some of the grafts will need more time before implants go in those. Not a simple procedure.

@SilleeMee ...Keep us updated on how you are doing...I'm glad that you are scheduled for a follow-up appointment tomorrow...I'm sure they have you on antibiotics...Also, you could try rinsing lightly with warm salted water to help keep the area sanitized and it also aids in healing...You must be exhausted...I hope you are able to get some rest tonight.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~