Honored Contributor

I found a tick embedded and engorged on my shoulder about 10 years ago. I immediately removed it myself and called the doctor. He asked me how long I thought the tick was attached and I told him a few hours. He said to wait and watch for the bulls eye rash and then he would start treatment. I did develop the rash about 14 days later and was sick as a dog with flu like symptoms. I was given an antibiotic and had blood drawn for a titer to see what the tick was carrying. I was feeling better in a few days and the blood test did not show that the tick was carrying any Lyme disease. I have not had any problems from the tick bite.

Honored Contributor

How do you remove them?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

I found a tick on my hip about a year ago 

it was engiorged and I was horrified 

I removed it with tweezers ( was not easy ) and sent it out to be tested for lymes and a list of other diseases at a lab and paid extra for quick results - about $100

thankfully it was negative .  I did not take antibiotics although my Dr said he recommends most people take a course  prophylactically .  I did not develop a rash and did not get sick or have any symptoms.  If you can find a lab that tests ticks I would recommend doing it - there are many other things the Tick can carry which I did not know .

the area on my hip where I found the tick looked like a blister for a few months (Dr said that was normal if it was engorged ) and I put peroxide on it daily .  If you can’t get it tested I would take the antibiotics right away just in case .

good luck !

Honored Contributor

Re: Tick help please

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

How do you remove them?

@Desertdi  Suffocate it by applying peanut butter, liquid dish soap or holding a cotton ball with nail polish remover on the tick.  Leave it there for a minute or two.  Then by entering from the side, get as close as you can to the head with a tweezer and pull the tick straight out.  Be careful not to break the body off from the head.  If the head stays embedded, the human or pet can still become infected.   If pet owners live in wooded areas, Lymes vaccines are recommended for the pets that go outdoors. We include this with our dog’s regular shots.  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch    Thank you.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Everything You Need To Know About Tick-Borne Diseases ...

Trusted Contributor

Tick Twister Pro. | All Veterinary Supply.

Trusted Contributor

I'm horrified over doctors telling people to just wait! Where I live the doctors put you on antibiotics immediately. 

My husband has Lyme disease complications. The tick that bit him never attached. I discovered the bulls eye rash on the back of his arm, who knows show long after the tick bite, while putting lotion on his back for a sunburn. Not a single tick on him. The doctor said that the nymphs do not need to attach to infect you.

It's nothing to fool around with. Years later he is still plagued with joint pain and fatigue. I always know when the Lyme is flaring up because he gets angry over any little thing and I can't talk to him.

It's serious - don't ever let a doctor tell you "Just wait and see."

Valued Contributor

If you were bitten by the tick you may want to call your family doctor . Watch for a Bulleye rash. Circle like the store Target..bullseye. You should ask your doctor where you can get tick tested if you still have it. wash area thoriughly with saop and water and then an antiseptic.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

Other than a bull's eye rash a headache can develop.  Just mark the date on a calendar and note changes over the next month to six weeks.