Respected Contributor

So I found a tick on me (insert ugh frowny face)

No idea how, not out doing yardwork or hiking, just packing our house and unpacking boxes as we are moving.

But as I was changing I noticed a tick walking on my arm!!!

I have a tiny spot that looks like I may have been bitten but the tick was not attatched to me. 

I would like to have the tick tested.

Has anyone sent a tick off to be tested?

Any comments or insights would be appreciated.

Super Contributor

I could be incorrect, but I think if the tick had bitten you it would be attatched to your skin.  They start sucking and don't let go. 

Trusted Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Tick help please

[ Edited ]

I found one on the back of my neck below my hairline.  It was not engorged and came away very easily, so I suspected it hadn't been attached.  

Since I figured it had been in my house about a week, I thought it could have been on my dog and dropped off, then crawled on me. The vet couldn't identify the type of tick.  Tests don't show anything until symptoms appear...about a month.  He put her on an antibiotic.

My doctor couldn't identity the type of tick, either.  Asked to be put on an antibiotic even though the tick hadn't been attached.  Wasn't taking any chances.  Didn't want to wait a day let alone a month.

Regular Contributor
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee 

Yes you do not want to wait until sx appear and it is too soon to test me, so that is why you test the tick.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tick help please

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl 

My vet and doctor didn't suggest testing the tick. 

Regular Contributor

I had a very similar situation a few years ago, and wanted to test the tick. It was a lone star, one of the worst for carrying a multitude of diseases. Unfortunately, my doctor felt it would be better to wait: that just because the tick carried illnesses, it didn’t mean I would become ill. (Bad advice.) Doxycycline is a good preventative antibiotic to get from your doctor now. It should prevent lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. 

Honored Contributor

When ticks bite, they must be embedded under your skin.  To spread Lyme Disease they must be embedded for more than a few minutes.  It takes hours.

Quite a few years ago, I found one below my shoulder blade while bathing.  I asked my husband to remove it.  He did, but I didn't feel like he got the whole thing, so I called the doctor.

When I went into the office, he looked at my shoulder and said it was all gone.  I told him that he was an old man like my DH and couldn't see any better than him.  I just knew it wasn't all out.

He wrote me an RX for an antibiotic.  I live in PA.  We are the tick capital of the USA.  I personally know many people,who have Lyme disease, including my nephew.

No one here gets ticks tested, they just go on antibiotics ASAP.  It's easier and effective.