Regular Contributor

This is a sort of delicate subject ... but here goes.

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

Respected Contributor

Re: This is a sort of delicate subject ... but here goes.

Eat fiber. Fruits and vegetables and bran—- daily.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patofl wrote:

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

@patofl  I'm having surgery next week and will be on some pretty heavy duty pain meds following.  I attended a required class last week and this topic was touched on.  In my situation, the pain will eventually pass as will the need for the medication so an OTC stool softener was suggested.  Diet wise, high fiber from good grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lots water should keep things moving.  

PS.  Forgot to mention....walking will also help you.  If you are afraid to go to far from the house, stay close and repeat your path more times.  Extend the distance as weather permits and you are able.  

Regular Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  Best of luck with your surgery.

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  Best of luck with your surgery.

Thanks!  I'm staying positive.

Honored Contributor

benefiber?

your Dr  didn't give you any other alternatives?  go back and ask 

Honored Contributor

I hate the side effects that come with medications. Perhaps a stool softener will help. Otherwise I'd ask the doctor's nurse for some alternatives to powerful laxitives. As others have said, a diet full of fresh fruits, vegetables and fiber should offer some relief.

Esteemed Contributor

Google, and learn the difference between soluble and insoluable dietary fiber. Most Americans don't eat enough of either.

slowly increase your insoluble fiber intake so your body becomes acclimated to it.  Increasing too much too fast can result in rather explosive diarrhea.

Esteemed Contributor

prune juice always works for me.....

Honored Contributor

@patofl---when I was going thru chemo, I had those issues a few times. I drank a tea called Smooth Move, the evening before and was doing my thing the next a.m. It is an herbal tea that does have anise in it so if you don't like licorice, this may not be for you. I bought mine at my local grocery store at under $6 for many bags. I would steep it and let it cool and then drink it. I cannot tolerate the over the counter things that take 3 days to work---also took a stool softener too. Just the genericc kind that worked well too.