Valued Contributor

I too got my shot at Walgreens, 2 years ago.

Insurance then paid 100%

No reactions, or side affects.

A friend is just now getting over shingles.

It is a bad as they say.

Trusted Contributor

I was taking a low dose steroid for colitis and came down with shingles 3 weeks ago. Dr. said it was probably because the steroid lowered my immunity. I was given an anti-virus prescription to take for 7 days. Today my symptoms are almost gone so I guess I was very lucky. I don't believe I would ever get a vaccine for it either. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The shingles vaccine

[ Edited ]

@HB glamma wrote:

I'm not sure if I ever had chicken pox. I wonder if I'm a candidate for the vaccine....any input here?

@HB glamma

From the CDC
::
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know.htm#should

Who Should Get Shingles Vaccine?

"People 60 years of age or older should get shingles vaccine.

They should get the vaccine whether or not they recall having had chickenpox, which is caused by the same virus as shingles.

Studies show that more than 99% of Americans aged 40 and older have had chickenpox, even if they don't remember getting the disease.

There is no maximum age for getting shingles vaccine.

Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease.

There is no specific length of time you must wait after having shingles before receiving shingles vaccine, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated.

The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your healthcare provider.

Talk with your healthcare provider if you have questions about shingles vaccine.

Shingles vaccine is available in doctor’s offices and pharmacies."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal Yes, she couldn't walk and had to learn how to form her words again.  When she started walking, she was dizzy.  If they'd have had children, she couldn't have been able to care for them because he had to care for her and hire a part-time nurse.  They are only in their 40's too.

She's a lot better but I doubt that she'll be back to where she was.

His nurse that helps with the operations is a good friend of mine so I heard periodically how she was doing, so sad.

@Annabellethecat66 - I'm really curious how they even diagnosed this - whoever did was on top of their game - she probably would never have figured it out otherwise! 

Respected Contributor

Medicare does NOT cover the shingles vaccine. It states that in the Medicare manual.    Not all Medicare Advantage plans cover it either. Do your research in advance. It can be very costly out of pocket if you don't.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Super Contributor

Had the shot about a month ago. I will say that I had a rash on my arm for almost 2 weeks. 

Other than that.....no side effects. 

Trusted Contributor

I did get the shingles shot about 10 years ago.  I did not have any reaction from it.  My husband's Dr. says it is only about 50% successful, but the duration and severity is much more tolerable.  I did have shingles when I was in college and believe me, you don't ever want to deal with that, if at all possible.  In my case, I needed it before age 65, so I paid for it myself.

Contributor

I got the shot 2 years ago at Walgeens. I didn't have a negative reaction. Two of my kids had the singles when they were in their 30's. My daughters was mild compared to my sons. Please get the shot.

Respected Contributor

Re: The shingles vaccine

[ Edited ]

http://nihseniorhealth.gov/shingles/aboutshingles/01.html

"Shingles is a painful rash that develops on one side of the face or body.

The rash forms blisters that typically scab over in 7 to 10 days and clear up within 2 to 4 weeks.

Most commonly, the rash occurs in a single stripe around either the left or the right side of the body. In other cases, the rash occurs on one side of the face.

In rare cases (usually among people with weakened immune systems), the rash may be more widespread and look similar to a chickenpox rash.

Shingles is very common.

Fifty percent of all Americans will have had shingles by the time they are 80.

While shingles occurs in people of all ages, it is most common in 60- to 80-year-olds.

In fact, one out of every three people 60 years or older will get shingles.

The most common complication of shingles is pain -- a condition called post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN).

People with PHN have severe pain in the areas where they had the shingles rash, even after the rash clears up. In most patients, the pain usually clears up in a few weeks or months, but some people can have pain from PHN for years.

Persistent pain from shingles is a common symptom in people over 60.

In fact, one out of six people older than 60 years who get shingles will have severe pain.

As people get older, they are more likely to develop long-term pain as a complication of shingles and the pain is likely to be more severe.

Other Complications

Shingles may also lead to other serious complications

•••Outbreaks that start on the face or eyes can cause vision or hearing problems. Even permanent blindness can result if the cornea of the eye is affected.

•••Bacterial infection of the open sores can lead to scarring.

•••In a very small number of cases, bacteria can cause more serious conditions, including toxic shock syndrome and necrotizing fasciitis, a severe infection that destroys the soft tissue under the skin.

•••The burning waves of pain, loss of sleep, and interference with even basic life activities can cause serious depression.

•••In patients with immune deficiency, the rash can be much more extensive than usual and the illness can be complicated by pneumonia. These cases are more serious, but they are rarely fatal.

•••Very rarely, shingles can also lead to pneumonia, brain inflammation (encephalitis), or death."

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Contributor
I had shingles about 10 years ago and it was horrible. I got the shingles vaccine as soon as I had 100% coverage for it. No reaction or side effects at all from the shot. I am so glad I got the shot!