Esteemed Contributor

Please be careful if you feel tired, achy..run a temp! I have been taking care of an older woman with pulmonary issues and recently had a stroke. She was exposed to the flu by a family member and is in ICU. We both have diabetes which also lowers our resistance. Scary business!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Indeed. DH and I have had it. No picnic. I cancelled a dr. appt because I was sick, and they thanked me. We are not people who usually succumb to this stuff.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/13/2015 Sweetbay magnolia said:

Indeed. DH and I have had it. No picnic. I cancelled a dr. appt because I was sick, and they thanked me. We are not people who usually succumb to this stuff.

So glad you and DH are ok..!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
My three year old niece just got over it. She had a 102 degree from and stomach pain for two days. She took her in to the doctor because she was breathing heavy. He thought she might of had pneumonia but she must of had the flu. My sister for some reason won't get her kids the flu vaccine. I bet she does next year because both of her kids have have had it this year.
Honored Contributor
On 1/13/2015 ccassaday said: My three year old niece just got over it. She had a 102 degree from and stomach pain for two days. She took her in to the doctor because she was breathing heavy. He thought she might of had pneumonia but she must of had the flu. My sister for some reason won't get her kids the flu vaccine. I bet she does next year because both of her kids have have had it this year.

It would not have mattered. The flu shot this year did not protect us from the flu that arrived here. The CDC totally shredded the pooch on this one. Was not even near the same flu as the shot.

Contributor

My parents live in a assisted living center. All of the residents, including the employees, had the flu shot and every last one of them got the flu!!!! Evidently the flu shot was for naught.

Honored Contributor

The news about this year's vaccine has been a bit misconstrued. This (Reuters news, December 2014) sums up the actual situation:

~

"On Wednesday, the CDC sent an advisory to doctors noting that one component of this year's flu vaccine was only partially protective against the predominant flu virus, known as influenza A (H3N2), which has mutated since the current flu shots were made. . .

. . .Frieden encouraged people who have not been vaccinated to get a flu shot because it can still offer partial protection against the mutated H3N2 virus and good protection from other strains that might become predominant later this year. CDC testing shows the vaccine offers good protection from about half of the H3N2 flu strains circulating, as well as H1N1 and influenza B strains. . ."

~

(from: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/04/us-usa-flu-cdc-idUSKCN0JI22G20141204)

~

Thanks for the thread, emmysmom, a wonderful reminder to all of us. That's so thoughtful of you.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

Have it now. Temp is down and aches/pains aren't too bad. Just feeling tired and coughing. Doc said to sleep and stay hydrated - gave me Tamiflu since I caught the symtoms on time.

Esteemed Contributor
On 1/13/2015 Catbelly said:

Have it now. Temp is down and aches/pains aren't too bad. Just feeling tired and coughing. Doc said to sleep and stay hydrated - gave me Tamiflu since I caught the symtoms on time.

Thats encouraging..I hope you feel better soon!

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/13/2015 pineyriver said:

My parents live in a assisted living center. All of the residents, including the employees, had the flu shot and every last one of them got the flu!!!! Evidently the flu shot was for naught.

Omg! Makes you wonder, doesn't it???

-- Mae West