Trusted Contributor

Started taking a new new BP med - losartan - about a week ago and every night have been having scary dreams. Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment but my regular doctor was out on medical leave. I did ask the substitute doc about the dreams and she said it was common in many bp medications. What I failed to ask was if the dreams would go away after my body got used to the new script. Anyone ever experience this? Thanks.

Chlemma

Honored Contributor

Wow, I'd never heard of that side effect before. I haven't tried Losartan, but had problems with Lisinopril and Norvasc. Now I'm on a simple water pill (wished the doc tried this first) and not having any problems. The best part is that it costs me under $3.00 for the month's supply.

Trusted Contributor
I'm on Losartan and have not had nightmares. Doc started me on Lisinopril and it caused coughing. Not pleasant. I've only had nightmares from some antobiotics. Good luck.
Frequent Contributor

I had the same problem with that same Med. Very Bad Dreams!! Gargoyles were coming through the window and I couldn't move because they were under my Bed!!! Woke up yelling for help!!! Sounds funny now but wasn't then!!. Dr tried several others but Every HBP med I tried had bad side effects. Constant Cough, every muscle hurt. Red rash on face and neck, I stopped taking them about a year ago and I still have a little rash on my neck. I "tried" changing my diet and it did help a little. BP lower but still not good. I read an article that said women should not be prescriped Blood Pressure Meds!!?? BUT for every article you read there is another that says the opposite.

Honored Contributor

You can also ask your pharmacist. I had this with taking Allegra at night and talked to my pharmacist about it. He gave me a lengthy explanation of why it happens and how it works - almost TMI LOL. It did go away for me after a short while.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I take losartan but don't recall any sleep disturbance. If I had any it must not have been much. When I started on beta blockers decades ago I had very bad sleep disturbance, i.e. "waking nightmares" for about a week and then they were gone for good. But true pseudoephedrine, genuine Sudafed not made as the less effective synthetic, gives me *severe* sleep disturbance even taken at lowest doses. Gives me tonic-clonic effects, i.e. musculoskeletal jerking, odd dreams, and basically prevents me from sleeping period. This effect never lessens on me. I only ever take it when I'm desperate with a very severe head cold or bad sinus headache, otherwise I take the not as strong and not really effective version because I can't deal with the side effects.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies. I take this med at night along with my other meds and I'm thinking maybe if I took it in the morning it would make a difference. I'm hoping this is a temporary thing. Time will tell.

Respected Contributor
My neighbor right across the street started taking Losartin. She said she's been having odd dreams and seems to have some restless leg symptoms but hasn't asked her doctor about it yet as far as I know.
Super Contributor
I take losartin. I don't have bad or scary dreams, but I have unpleasant ones. Also, I have learned that BP meds that end in pril usually cause a cough.
Trusted Contributor

I haven't tried Losartan but did recently try valsartan in the same family and that class of drugs gives me gastro intestinal troubles. I think my doctor thinks I'm a bit hypochondriac but I tried two meds in that class and had the same issues. Now I'm trying Hydralazine which is giving me vivid dreams. I'm not liking it. I'm hoping it dissipates. I already take Amlodopine and have for a few years now and don't have a problem but it doesn't keep my bp low enough. That's why I'm trying other things. I think if you keep having trouble maybe try another med, that's what I plan on, but I'm running out of options. Diuretic added to amlodipine did not work well enough either. Good luck.