Honored Contributor

Re: The dreaded mammogram call

[ Edited ]

I totally understand, been there 3 times myself over the years, and all was always well in the outcome. It is also what I term the DREADED call!! Glad things are all good. BTW, about 3 weeks is way too long to have to wait to go back, with me I have gone back in just a couple of days, I could not have beared to wait any longer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm glad all is well, but sad that you didn't think you could share this big deal with your husband.  In sickness and in health, right?  JMO, but as your spouse, I believe he had a right to know, to be your resource for comfort and reassurance, but also to prepare himself in case the follow up wasn't good. 🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Good news, you are OK!!  I've been called back a couple times, and it's not a happy feeling!  You are smart to get your mammos, so keep that up on a regular basis.

One thing that has been found is that getting the vaccine can cause an immune reaction seen on mammograms, so for anyone getting a mammo soon, you might ask about this at the screening office, especially if you have had a vaccine recently. 

Glad all well crystaltree!......I had a call back also, i had my mammogram 3 days after covid shot. They did a ultra sound, and still not sure. So i have to wait 6 months to redo my mammogram, and a possible biopsy. I also had enlarged lymph nodes under one arm. I hate all the waiting !

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I had my yearly mammogram 3 weeks ago and a few days later I got the call to come back for a diagnostic mammogram and a breast ultrasound.  I didn't tell hubby or anyone except my friend who is a physician.  I didn't want to worry anyone and 3 weeks was such a long time to wait.  My friend explained it's not uncommon and 90% of the time repeat mammograms show nothing or it's something benign like a cyst. I didn't panic or overreact but I did think about it when things were quiet..  I'm fortunate,  just a tiny little cyst.  Of no significance at all.  Much too tiny to think about removing and unlikely to change.  No follow up, just continue with my yearly mammograms.  It's a big relief.  

This happened to me 6 years ago. When the doctor's office called, I wasn't home. I arrived home after 5PM and the office was closed. So - I had to wait til Monday morning. I was 74 yrs old at the time, and it never happened before - so I was sure I had breast cancer. I went on this site - and many women explained that this happens often now - due to the new equipment that picks up everything. I decided not to think about it over the weekend - and when I went to the doctor's office -- it was nothing. So happy for you.

Respected Contributor

That is great news....

Did you know the percentage of women that actually go for their mammograms is less than 50%.....I was amazed when the nurse told me that.

Not going doesn't mean nothing is wrong.

Honored Contributor

I had that call several years ago.  Didn't have to wait that long for the ultrasound, but I did have to wait that long for the biopsy.  Turned out to be something called a fibroadenoma, benign.  The doctor also told me I had "lumpy breasts", I think he called it fibrocystic breast disease, but it does make getting a clean mammogram more difficult.  Suggested I could eliminate caffeine and such from my diet to reduce the problem, and I just laughed.  They don't bother me.

Super Contributor

I got a letter to that effect on a Friday no less.  Luckily I was able to get an appointment early the next week.  Those were the longest days of my life.  I swore I was dying of cancer.  It was nothing.  I had lost a lot of weight so apparently some cyst previously hidden by my fat was now visible LOL  Then a few years later I got a similar call, but that was nothing as well.

Glad yours was OK.  I was mad at my Doctor - I eventually switched docs.  He would wait weeks to get results to me.  The Mammo place said it waited to send the letter because most doctors want to call their patients first.  Not him.  Now seeing a female GYN who "gets it".

Respected Contributor

well,i did get the dreaded call.breast cancer was found.luckly,it was small enough and a stage 1,i only had to have 30 straight days of radiation.i am still seeing oncoligist once a yr and am taking a cancer pill everyday.hope and pray this does the trick.i am happy for you  tho chrystaltree

Respected Contributor

Oh dear, Daisy, 6 months is so long.  I hope you can just put it in the back of your brain and not worry because it's probably a result of the vaccine.

Occasional Contributor

I've had the dreaded call back three times and each time I told no one not even my husband.  I was worried enough without my husband and adult daughters worrying too. Everything was fine and I told them after I got the good news.