Re: The dreaded mammogram call

Wonderfiul news! God Bless !

Esteemed Contributor

The power of Positive Thinking

Honored Contributor

So glad it's ok!!!  Smiley Happy

I've never had a mammo but one time, decades ago, I had been to the gyno for  a routine exam and didn't know of any problem.

Well, one Friday evening I came home from work and there was a postcard in the mail telling me that I had cancer (it was only S2).  Well, what the heck!  You couldn't have called me?   It said to give them a ring.  Well, being that it was Friday night, like others here had to deal with, I had to wait until Monday to call and find out the rest of the story.

I never imagined I'd get something like that on a freaking postcard!

Trusted Contributor

Thrilled for you!!

Honored Contributor

I've been called back for ultrasound and spot compression several times. All my "extra" diagnostic tests have been normal. This was the first year in a long time that I didn't need more tests after the initial mammogram. 👍

Honored Contributor

I went through this many times--mammo,  then ultra sound and sometimes a biospy too--and prob went back every 6 months for a couple years----most times all was good--just have dense breast tissue---however I had a lump and was dx with stage 3 breast cancer 6 months after the last check up, in 2012. My point---always go back no matter how freaked out you are. I am alive and kicking due to them being very vigilent!!!

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I'm glad all is well, but sad that you didn't think you could share this big deal with your husband.  In sickness and in health, right?  JMO, but as your spouse, I believe he had a right to know, to be your resource for comfort and reassurance, but also to prepare himself in case the follow up wasn't good. 🤷‍♀️

L.      I could have told him, he's an RN so he knows the score.  I chose not to tell the people I love because I didn't want  to worry them at a time when we were all happily making vacation plans.  Three weeks was a long time, if the diagnostic we imaging had been a few days or week later, I would have told him.  I had the support of my dear friend who is a doctor.  

Honored Contributor

• @dogsx3 wrote:

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Good news, you are OK!!  I've been called back a couple times, and it's not a happy feeling!  You are smart to get your mammos, so keep that up on a regular basis.

One thing that has been found is that getting the vaccine can cause an immune reaction seen on mammograms, so for anyone getting a mammo soon, you might ask about this at the screening office, especially if you have had a vaccine recently. 

Glad all well crystaltree!......I had a call back also, i had my mammogram 3 days after covid shot. They did a ultra sound, and still not sure. So i have to wait 6 months to redo my mammogram, and a possible biopsy. I also had enlarged lymph nodes under one arm. I hate all the waiting !

Thanks. My goodness 6 months is a very long time to wait.  I had my Covid vaccine back in February so we knew it wasn't the inflammatory response that can 
  • enlarge lymph nodes and throw mammograms off.   I rescheduled my mammogram from March to July for that very reason.  
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I had my yearly mammogram 3 weeks ago and a few days later I got the call to come back for a diagnostic mammogram and a breast ultrasound.  I didn't tell hubby or anyone except my friend who is a physician.  I didn't want to worry anyone and 3 weeks was such a long time to wait.  My friend explained it's not uncommon and 90% of the time repeat mammograms show nothing or it's something benign like a cyst. I didn't panic or overreact but I did think about it when things were quiet..  I'm fortunate,  just a tiny little cyst.  Of no significance at all.  Much too tiny to think about removing and unlikely to change.  No follow up, just continue with my yearly mammograms.  It's a big relief.  

So happy to hear you had a good outcome. That is not a call any of us like getting.

Same thing happened to me this year a couple of weeks before I had set my retirement date. My mind went to a bad place for a bit, but I was lucky to get an appointment same week as call. Said it was a cyst. What I did not expect was the  $800 bill for the ultrasound. Ugh. But better that than the alternative.

Your health insurnce didnt pay for the follow up??

No follow up not covered. Initial mammogram is considered screening, they pay for the complete costs. My insurance doesn't pick up the diagnostic costs of an ultra sound until deductible has been met. I had not met the deductible ...  thus the charge. I was surprised and looked up plan and called, but it's actually spelled out in the coveragematerial as an example of what they don't cover. Didn't like the surprise (to me) but was very happy for the fact that it was a cyst and nothing serious. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."