Honored Contributor

The Patient's Rights

[ Edited ]

I haven't read this, but seen the title before.  I'll have to look it up. I don't post those sort of things, so maybe someone who finds it and can post it will, if that's allowed. I don't know. 

Found it "Patient's Bill of Rights". See the next to the last paragraph re: waiting times to see the doctors.  You can see what they say,

Respected Contributor

I've often wondered how they can keep one person waiting so long for their appt.  If there is a specific time, how long is too long to wait????  They demand you be there 15 minutes early but they keep you waiting sometimes 30 minutes. 

I found it for my state, NY, but I wonder if it differs for other states.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is irritating.  I have waited over one hour twice at my old cardiologists's office.  Turned out they had a woman at the desk that just didn't have a clue.  I moved and that problem was resolved.  15 minutes or half hour I really don't mind, things come up with other people, just as things have come up with DH and myself and the appt. goes over.  I'm just thankful we are old enough for Medicare and have a supplement.  I know many people in our area who haven't gone to a doctor in years because of lack of insurance.  That includes a couple deaths due to late-discovered cancer. 

Honored Contributor

I've worked in health care most of my adult life and how the front office is run can sometimes be a direct result of the doctors in the group.

It worries me when an office is poorly run.   Some of my doctors have an office in a hospital.   I always ask if they hire the staff or if the staff is provided by the hospital.   That tells me who in my mind to blame if the office is poorly run.  In most cases, the doctors hire their own staff.    That's a good thing.    

LIfe is busy, emergencies happen but the patient is your "customer".    

I always try to get the first appointment after lunch.   The morning chaos has usually subsided and after everyone's tummy is full, they are all in a better mood.

Honored Contributor

@software  It's good to get your perspective to how a Dr's office can, may or should run.  I find it interesting that when you see your Drs your appt is right after their lunch as the staff seems to be in a better mood.  I had to chuckle a bit.  I would think it would soon thereafter require an afternoon nap.  I tend to choose early morning so that I hopefully will not be the patient who got to their's late and hence threw off the rest of the day's appointments.  It only takes one.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I've worked in health care most of my adult life and how the front office is run can sometimes be a direct result of the doctors in the group.

It worries me when an office is poorly run.   Some of my doctors have an office in a hospital.   I always ask if they hire the staff or if the staff is provided by the hospital.   That tells me who in my mind to blame if the office is poorly run.  In most cases, the doctors hire their own staff.    That's a good thing.    

LIfe is busy, emergencies happen but the patient is your "customer".    

I always try to get the first appointment after lunch.   The morning chaos has usually subsided and after everyone's tummy is full, they are all in a better mood.

The way it usually works in my experience is that if there's a clinic office in the hospital - cancer, orthopedics, oncology, etc - the clinic is part of the hospital. The clinic staff is hired by and paid for by the hospital - the doctor doesn't need to worry about staffing, wages, insurance, etc. Of course, any physicians involved are part of the interview process and have a great say in who is hired - and fired.

One example: We had a world-famous surgeon at our facility who was wooed away by another facility by what he was offered in his "package deal" - beaucoup publicity, clinic offices in the hospital, private practice in adjoining building, and lastly - pretty much anything he might ever conceive of asking for. We couldn't compete finance-wise, and we weren't a Hospital of the Stars (nor did administration want to be that). He did take (and probably personally paid the salary of) his exec sec, but everything else was provided by and paid for by the new hospital.

It's generally understood that patients seen within the hospital are at "clinic", while being seen at a physican's private office is completely different. 

Interestingly, the hospital who got this surgeon hires very differently to any others I've heard of over the years. There is an outside agency that head-hunts and interviews for all clerical and administrative positions. If you are hired, you are not an employee of X Hospital, you are employed (and paid) by Y Company.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: The Patient's Rights

[ Edited ]

@makena wrote:

I've often wondered how they can keep one person waiting so long for their appt.  If there is a specific time, how long is too long to wait????  They demand you be there 15 minutes early but they keep you waiting sometimes 30 minutes. 

I found it for my state, NY, but I wonder if it differs for other states.

That's nothing . I had one Dr. who you waited on for 2+ hours every time. I then decided to leave after an hour wait....and then finally I went to a new Dr. Their time is valuable, so is ours. I could see where emergencies come up, but not every time. They overbook. If you are late or no show you get penalized.