Honored Contributor

@sidsmom @I cooked my sons baby food and it was largely vegetable with some meat and grains.He ate without a problem but as he got older and was eating at the homes of others he questioned my cooking abilities.He much preferred the meals his friends moms cooked with all of the fats,salt and sugar.I will never forget the day he came home and said,”Why don’t we have any good food in our house.”when I asked him what that was he replied ...ding dongs and hohos.I had never even heard of those and laughed so hard...the names of those things even sound trashy and silly.I don’t think children’s tastes run healthy even you bring them up eating a healthy diet.I discouraged my son from junk food but somehow I think I left him craving it like the forbidden fruit.

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like a heavily processed gimmick which is not even healthy.  A pass for me.

Honored Contributor

One of the many reasons I am a vegan is because I dislike the taste of meat. I do not eat fish,fowl,or beast(?). 

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom 

I don’t think children’s tastes run healthy even you bring them up eating a healthy diet.I discouraged my son from junk food but somehow I think I left him craving it like the forbidden fruit.

That’s unfortunate we think children’s-natural-Human-101 tastes don’t run align to healthy food which is best for our body & wellness.

Anyone who is anyone will know processed foods are HIGHLY addictive.  And those foods are lousy with salt, oil & sugar.  The fact you’re calling ‘like the forbidden fruit’ reinforces that ‘addictive’ moniker.

We give our baby their first taste of sugar/oil with a 1st Birthday cake and the addiction begins....and the illnesses begin, as well.  If the child was diabetic...or allergic to peanuts, would they be ‘craving’ and eating those foods which could harm outside your home? 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom 

I don’t think children’s tastes run healthy even you bring them up eating a healthy diet.I discouraged my son from junk food but somehow I think I left him craving it like the forbidden fruit.

That’s unfortunate we think children’s-natural-Human-101 tastes don’t run align to healthy food which is best for our body & wellness.

Anyone who is anyone will know processed foods are HIGHLY addictive.  And those foods are lousy with salt, oil & sugar.  The fact you’re calling ‘like the forbidden fruit’ reinforces that ‘addictive’ moniker.

We give our baby their first taste of sugar/oil with a 1st Birthday cake and the addiction begins....and the illnesses begin, as well.  If the child was diabetic...or allergic to peanuts, would they be ‘craving’ and eating those foods which could harm outside your home? 

Unfortunately the answer is yes.My friends son is a type one diabetic from birth.He knows he is not supposed to have sugars but he will still do it.He cries and says he doesn’t want to be different and doesn’t care if eating candy makes him sick.He wears an insulin pump but it is still harming his body to get his sugars out of control.Funny though when he goes into a low he must have something sweet to combat that.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Impossible

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom 

Unfortunately the answer is yes.My friends son is a type one diabetic from birth.He knows he is not supposed to have sugars but he will still do it.He cries and says he doesn’t want to be different and doesn’t care if eating candy makes him sick.He wears an insulin pump but it is still harming his body to get his sugars out of control.Funny though when he goes into a low he must have something sweet to combat that.

@dex Type 1 diabetics can eat sugar. It is a myth that they need to refrain. Given he has a pump, eating a piece of birthday cake/candy should not make him sick. He will just need a few extra units of insulin. It should be a rare treat but his mom needs to see a diabetes educator on how to adjust insulin dosages. I am Type 1 for nearly half a century...

Edited to add..all people taking diabetic meds should carry with them some simple sugar like glucose tablets, lifesavers or a can of Coke due to episodes of possible hypoglycemia/low blood sugar.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 @I don’t know much about it but I do know that his diabetes has been difficult to control.

His parents have to get up every two hours during the night to check him.I feel sorry for the little guy.He did a video about his disease once that could bring tears to your eyes.I wish there was a cure.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Trinity11 @I don’t know much about it but I do know that his diabetes has been difficult to control.

His parents have to get up every two hours during the night to check him.I feel sorry for the little guy.He did a video about his disease once that could bring tears to your eyes.I wish there was a cure.

@dex ...I really feel for young children with diabetes. The 2 hour blood sugar checks are mandatory for most parents. To this day , I never sleep more than a few hours. Once my pump malfunctioned and I developed ketoacidosis which is life threatening. In a small child it can be lethal.

At this point I would never have believed a cure would not have been found. Insulin generates a lot of money for big pharm and the price is exhorbitant. All the pumps and other equipment are a cash cow. The glucose strips alone are expensive. So, I agree, wishing there was a cure...

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 @I am sorry that you have to suffer too.I will tell him about you so that he knows that you can live a long time and be happy if you take care of yourself properly.I think he believes this is ruining his life and at only 8 years old I suppose that has some truth to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@sidsmom @I cooked my sons baby food and it was largely vegetable with some meat and grains.He ate without a problem but as he got older and was eating at the homes of others he questioned my cooking abilities.He much preferred the meals his friends moms cooked with all of the fats,salt and sugar.I will never forget the day he came home and said,”Why don’t we have any good food in our house.”when I asked him what that was he replied ...ding dongs and hohos.I had never even heard of those and laughed so hard...the names of those things even sound trashy and silly.I don’t think children’s tastes run healthy even you bring them up eating a healthy diet.I discouraged my son from junk food but somehow I think I left him craving it like the forbidden fruit.

@dexI can identify with your story.  We had only 100% whole wheat bread in our house, so my kids didn't realize there was any other kind.  But when my 4yr. old ate lunch at a friend's house, he tasted white bread for the first time and declared that he loved it.  He pestered me for years to buy white bread!  (I resisted despite his complaining and he now eats whole wheat as an adult, ha ha.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett