Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the answers on my Biotin question!

Thanks you all so much. Not going to use the Biotin. When I have my nails done I am no longer allowing them to buff my nails. I've always thought it was to much...Also, bringing my own products - never using theirs anymore. We'll see! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thanks for all the answers on my Biotin question!

@ellaphant 

I must have missed your earlier thread, but my Derm recommended Biotin for my thinning hair (10,000 mcg a day) and it's worked wonders for both my hair and my nails!

I always had paper thin nails that always peeled before they got any length to them, but now they're longer and stronger than ever, thanks to the Biotin.

And I had tried every nail supplement, polish, nail treatment, etc. for nails and nothing else helped. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I have alopecia and I use 5000mcg daily. But that being said, there has been a study by Northwestern that it jacks with your cholesterol. And mine was super high last year for no reason, so I will stop taking it before this years test to see if it makes a difference. Yes, I will tell the doctor that i did that. Right now, it’s not making much difference wth my hair because I am in an active flare, but my nails are doing great!

Esteemed Contributor

@ellaphant 

(Was unable to post an answer to you immediately, as I was hit with a log-on brick wall until today.)

I've had great success taking Biotin, specifically from "PureFormulas."  This is a company in Florida and is family owned - fast delivery.  I get my metholated B12-Folate from them as well.

Five years ago we moved from California to another state and live in a city with terrible water which has lots of discernable chemicals in it.  Within 2-3 months, my nails started to thin, chip and peel - badly!  Had never ever had an issue with my nails.  Recalled Biotin claims, so decided to give it a try.  Miraculous is the word I would choose.  Decided to stop Biolin during April and May of this year to see what would happen.  Oh, brother!  Went right back on the Biotin.

I highly recommend Biotin.  It worked wonders for my nails.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I was getting meager results and asked my endocrinologiust.  He suggested many of his patients had my experience.  Undoubtedly works for some.

Honored Contributor

I have thin nails and thinning hair and biotin did not work me unfortunately 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my mother and I tried the 5,000 biotin doese, we only noticed some improvement in our nails.

Then, my sister told us she was taking 10,000 a day and that made a huge   difference with her hair and thinning.

After trying the 10,000 for a few months, both my mother and I noticed a very clear result for our hair-less noticeable part, less thinning and bald spots for my mother.

@DrKelli -

Thank you for mentioning the cholesterol. I hadn't heard that and will look into it, because that is concerning.

edited to add-

I just was reading that biotin can help to lower bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol but it can cause false higher OR false lower cholesterol test results. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@DrKelli I haven't seen anything saying that it messes with your cholesterol except in a good way (lowers LDL), but have seen that it can give incorrect blood test results, and not just for cholesterol.  It just depends on if the test itself uses biotin in the test.  So, it's important to tell the doctor or whoever is doing the blood draw that you are taking it.  It doesn't take long to leave the body, so I always discontinue use several days before a known blood draw just in case.  

https://labtestsonline.org/news/fda-warns-biotin-may-affect-some-lab-test-results

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those that would like more in-depth information about biotin. Excellent resource for lay persons, educators and healthcare professionals. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Biotin-HealthProfessional/

Honored Contributor

Sorry I missed your previous post.

Both my immunologist and PCP told me Biotin can mess with lab results.

I stop taking it 2 weeks prior to lab tests.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras