Esteemed Contributor

@granddi  My hubby and I are work out at home people.   We have a treadmill and many walk at home dvd's by Leslie Sansone.   We started Tai Chi during this pandemic and love it.  Feel it's helping us with balance as I truly believe all forms of excerise help with.

After some research and reading reviews we bought a dvd set Tai Chi Fit over 50 by David Dorian-Ross.  It's for beginners for balance and stability.  We love it and do it a few times a week alternating with our other routines on different days.  We find it calming and soothing.  Highly recommend.

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@granddi  My hubby and I are work out at home people.   We have a treadmill and many walk at home dvd's by Leslie Sansone.   We started Tai Chi during this pandemic and love it.  Feel it's helping us with balance as I truly believe all forms of excerise help with.

After some research and reading reviews we bought a dvd set Tai Chi Fit over 50 by David Dorian-Ross.  It's for beginners for balance and stability.  We love it and do it a few times a week alternating with our other routines on different days.  We find it calming and soothing.  Highly recommend.

Thanks, great reviews on Amazon. Just ordered.

Honored Contributor

c@hckynut wrote:

Good morning to you @Drythe 

That balance exercise you mentioned here is more than many 20 year old kids could do. Standing on 1 foot, with the other completely off the ground surface, even with one's eyes open, for 15 seconds, is a feat.

Doing it with one's eyes closed for 1 minute? Maybe the Flying Wallendas can do it, but the average person, more specifically one over 60? I would have to see it to believe it. Once a person closes their eyes(other than a member of the above family), most have a problem with 2-3 seconds.

Basic Tai Chi? I will talk with my sis, who has been a Tai Chi instructor for a many years. Basic? Good luck to those that want to try it. If so, I suggest standing in a small shower, where both walls can easily be reached, that way you can use pressure before you start to fall.

I asked my skating friend, who I grew up with in the Projects, this. How long can you balance on 1 foot? He said only a few minutes.

Now he is an excellent hockey ice skater. Me! I laughed at him and said "give me a break"! Next time at the rink/shoes on, I said "Go" and timed him. Minutes? Nope, 11 seconds. Other leg, 17 seconds. Minutes? Not anywhere close. I did the same and after a minute and a half, on my weak leg, he said "ok,ok, I get it"!

How do I know this? Because I have been doing this exercise as part of my balance exercise routine since I got back to ice skating about 2 years ago.

I started it during my 12 weeks of Exercise Physical Therapy. My PT told me "if you can work up to 30 seconds, eyes open, your balance is way above normal with that drill.

Anyone here that wants to try just standing/ 1 foot completely off the floor/on a completely level surface/eyes open, using an analog clock. Think you are going to be in for a big surprise.

It not only takes balance, but a lot of leg strength. If you are say, 20lbs overweight/have done no leg resistance exercises/make sure you are close to something to grab.

If you make it 20 seconds, eyes open? Repeat with eyes closed. Good luck with it! If you have weak quads and/or a bum knee? Forget it!

Will talk with my sis about this soon and see if this is part of her Seniors Tai Chi Classes. If it is?

Stay well now and enjoy each day the best you can,

hckynut 🏒

@hckynut 

Call me Drythe Wallenda!!! 😁

I’m no special athlete, but I did play basketball in HS and College, also swim.

While I’ve lost cardio, my leg Strength is still good.  Upper body meh, not so much.

Yep, I can do this!  One of my wacko bosses GAVE her ‘team’ each a specific book to read and report on in quarterly mtg.  My book was YOGA AT WORK 

I did my opening segment standing on one foot, other foot tucked to knee, hands in Namaste.  Geesh... what a waste of employe time!  

But that is another story.

Note:  I mentioned I learned this in a class and it is related to balance, but, didn’t say that I learned it in TAI CHI class, although that was surely the topic... sorry if I was confusing.  I learned it in a Post Surgery rebuilding class.

Happy skating to you!

🏀 🏀 🏀...........

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Grow Young Fitness has free classes online.  Also, you might have A Matter of Balance classes in your area.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Great advice and tips, @1Snickers 

You're so right about the instructor. I tried a class with a face-the-class instructor and could not believe it was so awful. I'd always loved Tai Chi before that.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.