Respected Contributor

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to all of the brave people who are volunteering to participate in the vaccine testing right now.  TIME magazine should feature them as their "Person of the Year"!! Our new set of heroes.

Regular Contributor

Absolutely, brave people! Now just a wait to see how many become infected compared with volunteers with received the placebo.

Respected Contributor

Very Brave, I personally would not have the nerve....I'm a chicken about the unknown part ...  indeed they are brave and heroic.

Esteemed Contributor

A tricky ethical trial.  Basically we are waiting for some to get sick.

Valued Contributor

Yes I agree, they are brave and I thank them also. They are paid volunteers depending on far they have to travel and number of visits they have to make. I read an article this morning on WebMD and the volunteer in PA was being paid $1200. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I agree with your statement. Were I asked, I would gladly participate in this, or any other like study, connected to saving lives from this imported virus.

I however think at the age of 81, along with my several underlying conditions, they would not except me as a volunteer. My thought is, by my volunteering, it possibly might offer these studies added information about how it effects, or does not effect, those elders such as myself.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl  Agree, though I think all the nurses and other health care workers are already in that line!

Do you know if the vaccines being trialed have any live virus in them? Normally, flu type vaccines don't. So that means the vaccine itself won't be a source of infection. Also, I wonder what conditions they have to meet in terms of protecting themselves from infection. I know, patience is needed! We are a long way from a usable vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

A tricky ethical trial.  Basically we are waiting for some to get sick.

My understanding is that the only really meaningful way to test in a situation like this, is by doing a "double blind" study.

I'm quite sure that even in this unprecedented rush, the ethics have been vetted to the fullest extent allowable.