Esteemed Contributor

@lynbeechwood  I'm sorry you can't visit your Dad! It's so hard for visitors not to be able to see relatives.

Prayers for you all!🙏🏼

Regular Contributor

Thank you all so much. Your thoughts and prayers are truly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Sending best wishes for your dad, but I personally would not agree to chemo without a definite diagnosis.    

Trusted Contributor

@lynbeechwood ,

I'm so very sorry for your Dad's diagnosis.  Have his doctors told you whether his leukemia is acute or chronic?  People can live for many years managing chronic leukemia but acute leukemia is lethal unless he is a candidate for a bone marrow transplant.  That is why his doctors want to start him immediately on chemo. 

My late husband had acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and multiple myeloma at the same time.  The only 'cure' for AML is a bone marrow transplant.  He had one but it failed eight months later.  He died six months ago at the age of 69.

If your Dad has AML, it is an age related cancer, mostly men get it and nobody knows why people get it.  It has nothing to do with life style or anything he could've done to prevent it.  It's a gene defect and your body betrays you.

The day my DH was diagnosed in the hospital, they started him on chemo three hours later.  We were flabbergasted and terrified.  They gave us no real information about his leukemia and I had to start Googling it.

Anyway, if your Dad has AML, I can give you more information about what my DH went through in terms of treatment and what to expect.

I am so very, very sorry that your Dad is in ICU and that family cannot visit him during this scary time for him.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Suspected Leukemia

[ Edited ]

@lynbeechwood   Hopefully they did an MRI or a Cat Scan before doing the chemo..I had elevated white cells and had I believe the cat scan(it was 20 yrs ago) and they found an englarged diseased spleen and said I had Hairy Cell Leukemia...Removed the spleen and no chemo and was checked on an off every so many months and no more problems...I wish your dad well

Honored Contributor

@lynbeechwood 

I hope all goes well for your dad during his hospital stay.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor
My dad has his first chemo treatment yesterday. The doctors are trying to get the wbc count in control. We had a virtual meeting with his doctor and we know this chemo regimen is to extend his life to get him to be able to go back home and be able to live out the remainder of his life.-understanding that there are no promises of time. I’m keeping that time frame close to my heart because hearing it is terrifying and sad.
My father has had many health battles during his life and has always endured them gracefully . He cared for my mom when she was terminal with breast cancer many years ago. The Covid virus has deemed it impossible to get in to the hospital to be with him but my siblings and I are calling multiple times per day.
I’m a believer in God and I am still praying for any type of healing - wether it is a miracle or just having more time with my dad. I am scared and so sad for him and selfishly for me- please keep my dad in your prayers for healing- wether it is physical or mental well being or spiritual healing- I truly appreciate any positive prayer❤️
Super Contributor

I am so sorry and I firmly believe in the power of prayer.  You have many prayer warriors here for you...stay strong and sending you positive thoughts that your dad will go into remission and return to good health.

Respected Contributor

Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your family.  

Honored Contributor
I am going to remember your dad and you in my prayers. Although I am not a doctor, I do know that a very high white count does not always mean leukemia; it can be other issues. Sounds like your dad is getting the best of care. I am so sorry he has had more than his share of health problems. I wish you both strength and courage in the days ahead.