Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions for facial covering mask

I do not go out much, but do have issues with a mask!!  Am super claustrophobic and to have my nose and mouth covered is tough!!!   Can do better without nose covered, though it defeats the purpose of a mask. 

I do see MANY people without a mask or just covering their mouths or just hanging from their ears!  Our town has not reached the virus peak yet so Mayor has mandated wearing a mask when out, but it can not be enforced!!
       {Was remembering that I almost did not get my Girl Scout swimming badge.  I could not swim under water - way too suffocating - but a kind GS leader gave me the badge anyway!} 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@58Meezer wrote:
I am immunosuppressed and over sixty. I've tried to wear a mask several times, the bandana kind. I have a hard time breathing through it, makes me very dizzy, light headed and headaches. I've tried thinner fold on bandana. I used to have asthma as a kid. I've avoid going out to grocery store as much as possible, but my husband wants me to go with him. He has no problems with masks, he wears respirator for floor refinishing. I have to start medrol another immune suppressant med tomorrow so I will be hunkered down until I finish it.

Any suggestions on different type of mask? Thanks Smiley Happy

Starting Medrol and going to the grocery store during this pandemic are two things that do not go together well. Let your husband read about medrol. If he's a good guy he will not bug you to go with him after he reads up. Of course, you can speak with your doctor and pharmacist about this.
Taken right from the product's side effects and warnings: 

"What should I avoid while taking Medrol?

Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Call your doctor for preventive treatment if you are exposed to chicken pox or measles. These conditions can be serious or even fatal in people who are using steroid medication."

"Corticosteroids may mask some signs of infection, and new infections may appear during their use. Infections with any pathogen including viral, bacterial, fungal, protozoan or helminthic infections, in any location of the body, may be associated with the use of corticosteroids alone or in combination with other immunosuppressive agents that affect cellular immunity, humoralimmunity, or neutrophil function.1

These infections may be mild, but can be severe and at times fatal. With increasing doses of corticosteroids, the rate of occurrence of infectious complications increases.2 There may be decreased resistance and inability to localize infec-tion when corticosteroids are used."

Honored Contributor

@corita DH and I received our masks today, Oh my they are hot, my glasses fogged up and I did have a hard time breathing.

I know that if I have to wear it I will not be out much,  I am slightly claustrophobic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@58Meezer   My husband does all the grocery shopping.  I stay home. I make the list and he gets it.  If he is confused about what I want, he calls me. Right now he is much stronger than I am so that works well.  I try to buy so he doesn't have to do big grocery shoping more than once a month or longer and we pick up all meds at a drive-thru window. We live in a rural community where there is very little  covid 19   but

have to go to the "big city" for groceries. If we need milk or things one might need weekly we just go to Dollar General a couple minutes down the road.  At some groceries you just place an order and pick up your groceries.  Keep safe!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@corita DH and I received our masks today, Oh my they are hot, my glasses fogged up and I did have a hard time breathing.

I know that if I have to wear it I will not be out much,  I am slightly claustrophobic.

---------------

Agree...am really uncomfortable in that mask!!  I won't be out much either!!

Super Contributor

Masks are unnecessary. And you're breathing your own co2.
Honored Contributor

@mjmm wrote:
Masks are unnecessary. And you're breathing your own co2.

@mjmm  Need one to get in a store. Tell it to hospital workers who have always worn them.

Valued Contributor

I have a hard time breathing with a mask and they are terribly hot. I can’t even imagine what it will be like it the hot, humid summer. I always run low O2 on a pulse ox test. I did a pulse ox with my mask on last week and it was 91. I can’t breathe with one on!
Respected Contributor

I find them very hot and my glasses steam up. Manager at my condo says we have to wear them anytime in common area. It is creating a controversy because residents are starting to confront people who don’t have one on. I wear mine when I am outside of my unit and when I go out to run errands a couple times a week. Not looking forward to wearing when 90 with high humidity. Guess I’ll adjust!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I got twelve single layer masks from the website customink, who typically sells custom t-shirts, hats, and the like, for $30 ($35.55 after shipping and tax.) These are very simple masks, but you can use just one, or multiples if you feel more protected with multiple layers. They came very quickly and are fine for me. They're a fine t-shirt material with two sets of ear holes cut out, one set for kids or people with smaller heads and one set for people with bigger heads. It's a very simple, but clever design. Since they're flat, you can stack them to make a multi-layer mask if you prefer.

These are really great masks.

We got some of these, too. They were sold through another third party vendor.

They are comfortable and for us, they fit better for us than trying to struggle with either a paper dust-type mask, or trying to keep a scarf on your face, like I've been trying to do. This is just my own personal experience. 

My husband and I are both really pleased and satisfied with these masks.

They stretch to fit your face.

My husband has a large head, and these masks cover the lower half of his face, which is important.

My face is smaller, and they fit me, too.

They are made out of some kind of a fabric blend that has a bit of spandex in it too, so that the material stretches lightly to fit your face, while still being breatheable. 

They are reusable and washable and stretch back after being washed.