Respected Contributor

Yeah, Sugar and I have a Long relationship.  When I was younger lets just say I used to have a little tea in my cuppa sugar.   Lunch was a ktit-kat and a pepsi.   Halloween is still my downfall, but once I've binged I don't have any more for months.  I've tried those single serving multipacks but I just end up eating them all.  So better to not have it around.

Good for you for cutting back on the sugar and recognizing that Sugar is your downfall.

Now that you've cut it out you may find that even products that are not touted as Sweets will taste sweet to you. Keep on keepin' on.

Honored Contributor

I find I do a lot better if I don't totally "deny" myself sugar.  Instead I try to limit it to one thing a week I really like.  We go out and get it so I don't have leftovers at home to tempt me. I almost never bake.  Also, I use Stevia now in my coffee and am looking for low sugar creamers.  It's amazing how many calories can be in a cup of coffee and I can't stand it black.  I'm trying to drink more tea as I don't seem to need sugar in my hot tea or even Stevia for that matter.  

Respected Contributor

I totally understand and have cut way way back on sugar.  I grew up with a candy store nearby (which we frequently visited) and drinking lots of Koolaid!  So I’ve had a sweet tooth my whole life.  I’m finally seeing the light about how harmful sugar is so in my quest to cut it out, I keep that thought in my mind. If I ever do have something with sugar I find it overly too sweet now.  I’m also trying to learn how to read labels and eat things that aren’t made with products that aren’t good for our bodies. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Sugar = Addicted!

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This is something I struggle with and maybe some of you do as well!  This is somewhat a tongue in cheek post, if you will, but is also factual for me!  

I kind of went off the deep end over the holidays --- feasting merrily on cake, cookies, pies, candies, donuts --- you name it --- I enjoyed it --- a lot!  

Do I know it's not good for me to do this?  Yes, of course I do!  Do I know that it's just a lot of useless calories and fat?  You bet I do!  Have I gained extra baggage beause of it?  Naturally!

I know that anything in moderation is not harmful.  Just a bit of this or a touch of that is fine.  However, sometimes with some of us (speaking of myself) once a bite of this touches the mouth, we (meaning me) find it practically impossible to control ourselves and end up having many, many bits and touches of said sugary product!

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks, I have stopped cold turkey!!!  I tried the "just a bit of this or touch of that" approach and I failed miserably!  Like a person who is addicted to anything, I find it impossible to stop at a little!  The first few days were horrible!  Now, I'm doing well.  Do I miss the sugary morsels?  Well, yes and no.  But my eyes no longer glaze over when I see a donut or a cookie, etc!  

Many say denial is not a healthy approach!  But to some of us, it's how we must conquer the beast!  I think as times passes, perhaps a bit or touch might be possible --- occasionally!  

Anyone have similar experiences with a sugar addiction?

As I have said --- please don't take all this too seriously as it is written tongue in cheek, but is also my factual experience with sugar! Woman Wink

@AngelPuppy1  Good for you! 🖐 👊 

This is similar to our experience when DH and I decided to go keto.  The first two weeks are hard as you detox from sugar.  Your body still needs a fuel source so I’m hoping you’re adding more healthy fats in your diet. Your brain and gut will thank you.  Once you have your healthy lifestyle established, you can add some sweet treats back in. Just make sure you use the right ingredients that won’t spike your blood sugar.  There are many excellent sugar alternatives out there and chocolate chips that are sweetened with stevia.  I also use almond flour and coconut flour, depending on the recipe.  You wouldn’t believe the awesome stuff I make - cheesecake, chocolate chips cookies, waffles, coconut cream pie, chocolate pudding, cakes, etc..  I’ve dropped 123 lbs.  in the last year and a half and feel better than I have in most of my adult life!

You’ve got this, girl!!!  😊

Esteemed Contributor

I think many people fall under the "I'm not a sweet eater" (lucky dogs...lol), or they love it. My family are savory eaters and don't indulge in sweets like I do. I found that in the past watching shows like Dr. Oz helped. He gave some grreat tips and recipes to enjoy something healthy, but not sugar addicting. Like when I want a hot fudge sundae; I will split a banana in half, freeze it, melt some dark chocolate with a tiny bit of coconut oil, drizzle on top and top with chopped nuts - refreeze it and its amazing. Also, date/coconut bars are delicious. It is hard giving up sugar.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch congratulations on losing 123 lbs! Wow! Did I read that correctly? That's outstanding. I actually lost 90 lbs 8 years ago and have kept it off. I did it by eating low carb, too, of course. I don't eat ANY sugar at all and I don't miss it. My health has never been better. Congrats to you! 

Respected Contributor

It's hard.

If you cannot just quit baked goods including processed sweets, then try FRUITS.

Keep strawberries, blueberries, apples always snack ready.

My treat is apples with peanut butter. Yes, the peanut butter has sugar but not like cookies, cakes, syrup, candies and others.

We all know those tried and true snacks: cerlery sticks, hummus, olives, pickles, nuts, raw veg with dip.

Check labels: whole wheat bread has less sugar than white. Limit barbeque sauce, sweet sour sauce, ketsup, other condiments.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I believe that if I hadn’t eaten so much sugar up until a few years ago, I might well have been an alcoholic like my older brother.  In my case, I cannot drink much at all and still function, so I avoided that pain.

I also slipped during the holidays, but I have forgiven myself.  They are done and gone, I even moved myself during their season, and finally I have returned to journaling what I eat which helps me control my personal evils - bad fats, sodium, and sugar.

i know I did damage to my body while I ignored my good habits, but right now only I can see that.  Once I do my annual visit with my G.P. in March, I assume I will know how serious my slip was.

Regular Contributor

Yes, me too!

And for me moderation is not an option.

I also do not believe that Denying yourself something that leads to negative consequences is Restrictive - it's just common sense.

Just because it's FOOD -   which is required for survival and also available 24/7 does not give it a pass (on common sense).

It can be tough to withdraw from, but keep in mind, sugar in any form it not neccessary for a healthy body.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sugar = Addicted!

[ Edited ]

My carb addiction has always been white rice, bread, pasta and potatoes. I'd exchange any one of those, any day, over a piece of pie, or other dessert. 

When my A1c was considered borderline diabetes, I had to give up my favorite foods, or go for healthier versions of same, allowing occasional brown rice, wheat pasta and full grain breads.

It was very hard, but by giving up those, high glycemic, 'white' foods, I lost 24lbs, getting down to my ideal weight & BMI. My A1c normalized, too, but I know after having it elevate like it did, I'll always have to be careful now. Once you start having insulin resistance, you can gain control, but it's not cured.

Moreover, I realized how much better I felt when focusing on a low carb, low fat, healthy proteins diet. I feel more energized, more mentally alert and I think I look better, too.

I cheated with desserts some during the holidays. After all, we only live once, but each time, I noted it made me feel brainfoggy and sluggish. I've learned my body speaks to me, if I'm willing to listen.

edited for paragraph spacing