Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Good for you, @AngelPuppy1 ! Sugar is so hard to break!

I was amazed at my granddaughter yesterday. I had made carmel popcorn - brown sugar & butter, and it was not overly coated. But she said she didn't like the brown part. That was the sugar!  She's done the same thing with chocolate. Even the dark, which is the only thing I offer.

I never did a total cut-out, but I've reduced sugar way, way down, especially white sugar. After a while, you really get to dislike when anything is sweet, or, overly sweet.

Are you also finding any other benefits?

@Harpa 

I don't like caramel corn either. I rather eat it with salt no butter.

When I was a kid I would complain when mom made chicken fried steak. I always called if fake steak. I wanted sirloin steak dad my on the grill not the fake stuff. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Sugar = Addicted!

[ Edited ]

I lost almost 20 lbs years ago -I'm 5'1' and boy am I glad I did!

No cookie, donut, cake, etc. is better than fitting in my size 2 jeans.

Changed my diet and never looked back.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Can't relate to sugar because I have never had an overactive sweet tooth. I can however relate to cigarettes/alcohol/gambling/meat/fish/andfowl.

My success in "stopping and trying to keep them under control(which I have for decades now)"? In common with all of them being successful, was quitting cold turkey!

I tried the tapering with all of them and it just did not work for me. My addictions I never view as cured, but under my control at the moment. This date only 1 even slightly interests me, the others pretty much I find as irritating.

Don't know what this means in this thread, but to me all addictions are never easy to control, for anyone! Nobody I know of is born with that gene.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I know what you mean. I eat chocolate every daily. Can't live without it.

I gained 5 lbs over the Holiday's. I still have 2 lbs to lose.

Sugar makes you hungry. It makes you want to keep eating.

Honored Contributor

I like my sugar.  No intentions of giving it up.  If fake sugar doesn't compromise the product, I'm fine with that, but if it does, I don't want it.  Mostly, I go for chocolate, but I also have a soft spot for cherry pie and Key Lime pie.  Most days after lunch and dinner I have 2 pieces of dark chocolate or my other soft spot Reese's Cups on occasion.  I don't care for candy and doughnuts.  I prefer cake doughnuts over the traditional glazed ones.  

Luckily, I am good a moderation.  I can get the 4 servings out of a Ben & Jerry's pint.  I don't want sweet when it's mealtime which is why I don't care for all the diet shakes and bars as a meal replacement.  Sweet is for dessert or snack, not for a meal. 

I managed to maintain my weight during this pandemic by plenty of exercise and moderation.  Most days I have a yogurt with Grape Nuts added for crunch for breakfast.  For lunch we often eaten out, so that is my large meal.  Then, it's just a snack for dinner, like a Sargento cheese with nuts and maybe some berries or a few slices of summer sausage.  I'll eat a light lunch on the days that I cook dinner.  

I could give up all the sugar in the world and I wouldn't be a size 2 and I would be miserable. I think 6/8 is a reasonable size even at 5'2"and I don't have to deny myself anything to maintain that.

Esteemed Contributor

Sugar indeed seems addictive.  

I banished sugar and no longer crave it.  

Won't buy anything sweetened at all.  Read the labels, it is horrifying.

Had a laugh about that sandwich chain whose "bread" was deemed non-bread due to sugar.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

It sounds like you're ready to "turn the page"!  Please join us in Among Friends in the Weight Watcher's thread.  We're happy and losing no matter what the strength level or age.  We celebrate loss and hold hands when we need to.

Cravings are at a minimum and it's brain over sugar.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @Still Raining on this.  I gave up "whites" years ago.  This includes sugar, white bread, white rice, potatoes....  I admit I will eat a small amount of potato a couple times a week.  Oopsie.  It was difficult at first, but I no longer crave it.   I can eat 1/2 of a cookie, put it down and walk away.   My husband brings home oodles of sweet snacks and I'm not even tempted.    Once you break yourself from sugars, you no longer want it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 

It sure is mine!!!  Smiley Happy

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

I am highly doubtful that I will EVER get to where I dislike sugar!  Years ago I did reduce my salt intake a lot and now I am don't like a lot of salt.  However, I think sugar is just truly something I will always have an issue with.  I do feel better now that I haven't had it for awhile although I will not say that I am over it by any means!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin