Regular Contributor

Does anybody know anything about Sucralfate for acid reflex?

Respected Contributor

I'll have to look into it.  A week or two ago I had a two different nights where I had indigestion with burning so bad it woke me right out of my sleep.  I took Tums that night and sat up all night.  Then a couple nights later I woke up with a crushing feeling in my shoulder right across to my neck.  It was not burning like the first time, but I had a terrible time swallowing.  Maybe not even related to acid reflux. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I don't know much about it though I've taken it before many years ago. My stomach was burning very badly and my doctor thought I might have an ulcer. It turns out I didnt. It does work well. At least it did for me. No side effects. HTH.

Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue I've had the choking before. I rarely have it anymore but mine was from reflux. It's an extremely uncomfortable feeling. I encourage those with stomach issues to get a scope done if you haven't already. It's a simple procedure. A friend of mine never felt anything yet when she had it done severe issues were found. Hope you all feel better. Stomach issues are awful.

Honored Contributor

Yep; I do.

It's also known as Carafate.

I've had longtime GERD and used to take it.

Sucralfate coats the lining of your esophagus & GI systemere, so you feel less acid irritation.

Here's some info, including user reviews:

http://www.drugs.com/carafate.html

I've been on all  the PPI's and Protonix (pantoprazole) has thankfully worked the best for me.

Regular Contributor

My insurance will only cover Sucralfate , Omeprazole or pantoprazole. Was taking nexium it's not cover. Then I tried to get Pepcid and it's not covered. I'm gonna have to talk to my doctor in a few weeks.

Respected Contributor

@jagk, my insurance stopped covering Nexium, too. I tried pantoprazole and it has worked just fine for me.

Contributor

Omeprazole is the generic name for Prilosec which is very similar to esomeprazole which is the generic name for Nexium.  They are very similar.  You may be satisfied with omeprazole.  FYI, Nexium is now available without a prescription.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I have GERD, a hiatal hernia and Schatzki's ring and for years I have taken one of the PPIs, change about Nexium, Prilosec, etc, as well as Carafate (sucralfate).  I can omit the Carafate from time to time but if I have to take additional aspirin, Aleve or other medications that irritate the gut, I get back on a dose of 4 per day, meals and bedtime.