Valued Contributor

Strange Location for Muscle Pull

I must have pulled a muscle in my right buttocks.    I know, it sounds absurd.  The tight knot isn't in my lower back going into that area, but it is in the buttocks.    It hurts to sit.    I've been taking Advil and using a tennis ball against a wall to push on the knot.

Has anyone ever had a muscle pull or tight muscle in that region?   I don't have a clue what I did that would have aggrevated it.

How silly!

Respected Contributor

Re: Strange Location for Muscle Pull

Google gluteal strain.  Sort of common, I guess.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Upon further investigation, it's the Periformis syndrome, very common indeed.

I did the stretch shown on this website and it really helped.    I sometimes am guilty of wearing the same walking shoes too long, because they are so comfortable.  One of the reasons for this muscle pull is ill fitting shoes, apparently.

So, I took out another pair that I had bought a while back and will wear those tomorrow on my walk.

So glad the stretch they showed worked and loosened it up a bit.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/hip-groin-pain/piriformis-syndrome

Honored Contributor

And sitting on a cold pack or ice cubes (with a wash cloth between you and the baggie) where the problem is located will take the inflamation out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I must have pulled a muscle in my right buttocks.    I know, it sounds absurd.  The tight knot isn't in my lower back going into that area, but it is in the buttocks.    It hurts to sit.    I've been taking Advil and using a tennis ball against a wall to push on the knot.

Has anyone ever had a muscle pull or tight muscle in that region?   I don't have a clue what I did that would have aggrevated it.

How silly!

@Frosted Cake

This is not uncommon at all for those of us that have competed in any type of ice skating Sports. The Glute muscles are a factor in stability/power and stopping and starting quickly.

Like any other muscle or muscle group that has cramped(spasm), the best thing for them is to prevent them from continuing to shorten. This means they have to be stretched in a "static process".

Also like other muscles, this has to be done in a progressive fashion over time. To try to expedite this process could end up causing the muscle(s) to shorten or spasm once again.

The best time to be able to improvise what works for you, is when the muscle is in the shortened position. Find a movement that causes more discomfort, and chances are that is stretching that muscle. With lengthening injured muscle tissue, much of the time it causes it more pain for it to get better.

Take a Calf Cramp. The correct way to break the Cramp/spasm, is to do what causes more pain, and that is to stretch it. Most here have probably had a Calf Cramp and can relate to what I am saying.

For me it has been over 5 weeks that I slipped on snow on our patio room porch, feeding our outdoor feral feline. I fell and the major brunt of it was on the pointed corner of 1 of the 2 steps on the porch. My body weight hit the corner directly with my left Glute muscle, and also put a major tear on my left leg shin muscle and bone.

This fall partially separated my left Glute muscle, and it now is basically in 2 separate sections. My Ortho doctor friend said it is 75/25% that this will ever repair itself completely. I still have to watch what I lean my butt against, like the height of our kitchen counters, which are not a rounded surface.

Might try doing something to warm up your blood temperature, thus making the muscle more conducive to stretching. If you think back a few days at everything you have done, you can probably get to the source of what may have caused this issue. If it wasn't some type of trauma, such as my fall, it probably was from some type of repetitive movement or overloading the capability of that Glute muscle.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah that area, my chiropractor helps me with that and it's about my back. JMO But mine is left side. May be 2 different things.

Contributor

I struggle with this also.  Could you give me the website info?

Honored Contributor

piriformis info

I have been dealing with this too, PITA literally

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Upon further investigation, it's the Periformis syndrome, very common indeed.

I did the stretch shown on this website and it really helped.    I sometimes am guilty of wearing the same walking shoes too long, because they are so comfortable.  One of the reasons for this muscle pull is ill fitting shoes, apparently.

So, I took out another pair that I had bought a while back and will wear those tomorrow on my walk.

So glad the stretch they showed worked and loosened it up a bit.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/hip-groin-pain/piriformis-syndrome

About 4 years ago, I dragged a VERY heavy musical instrument up a flight of stairs by balancing it on my right side pelvis bone. For the next five months, the pain was so bad I could hardly move. 

I finally had a massage that loosened up my leg enough to walk, and since then, I've done the Piriformous stretch EVERY DAY before getting out of bed. Works like a charm!

Honored Contributor

I have been riding a stationery bike daily since 1985 and do it at high speeds.  I have done that several times over the decades.  I even pull one so bad just below my buttock that I developed a hard ball type knot and went to the Dr.  I was afraid it was something else and he said no I had just really pulled the muscle extra bad that time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."